Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Onward Tops Box Office, but Falls Short for Pixar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265719)

Evil Avatar 03-09-2020 06:26 AM

Onward Tops Box Office, but Falls Short for Pixar

Disney and Pixar's Onward topped the weekend box office, but fell just a bit shy of expectations, a performance some may relate to the current COVID-19 concerns, though most everything else performed as expected if not better. Universal's The Invisible Man held on quite well, delivering a second place performance, while WB's release of The Way Back landed within expectations.

Here is the Weekend Boxoffice Chart for the weekend of March 6th to March 8th, 2020.
  1. Onward $40.0/$40.0
  2. The Invisible Man $15.1/$52.6
  3. The Way Back $8.5/$8.5
  4. Sonic the Hedgehog $8.0/$140.8
  5. The Call of the Wild $7.0/$57.4
  6. Emma $5.0/$6.8
  7. Bad Boys for Life $3.0/$202.0
  8. Birds of Prey: And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn $2.1/$82.5
  9. Impractical Jokers: The Movie $1.8/$9.6
  10. My Hero Academia: Heroes Rising $1.5/$12.7
  11. 1917 $1.3/$158.2
  12. Jumanji: The Next Level $1.3/$315.8

Booda 03-09-2020 07:25 AM

Damn, that list of films (except for maybe 1917) reads like a "which one is the biggest pile of shit" list.

Evil Avatar 03-09-2020 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Booda (Post 2554851)
Damn, that list of films (except for maybe 1917) reads like a "which one is the biggest pile of shit" list.

Between mostly crap movies coming out in 2020 and the fact that people are going to start avoiding theaters due to the Corona virus, it's going to be a really really hard year for Hollywood.

Might be a great year for streaming services though. :eek:

MavenACTG 03-09-2020 11:09 AM

The Invisible Man was made on a shoestring budget ($9m), so it's more than made its money back, but I somehow think the parent company isn't happy because they aren't seeing hundreds of millions returned on hundreds of millions spent.

Still, the trend for good ROI film-making right now seems to be letting mystery and the unseen work your audience instead of employing thousands of digital artists to make something spectacular. I think there is a real fatigue in the market for Marvel-esque excess.

Jordan Peele benefitted, though perhaps not knowingly.

NACIONAL 03-09-2020 12:37 PM

this is the first time i have never heard about a pixar film beforehand. No marketing of this movie around these parts

ElektroDragon 03-09-2020 02:08 PM

Guys this movie would have made double if not for coronavirus mark my words.

Meeks 03-09-2020 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NACIONAL (Post 2554871)
this is the first time i have never heard about a pixar film beforehand. No marketing of this movie around these parts

Complete opposite experience here. We began seeing marketing for it many months ago and my five-year-old has been talking about it for the duration.

Chief Smash 03-10-2020 03:58 AM

I've seen a couple of trailers but no marketing blitz. My sister in law took all of the kids (including my sons) to see it. I read about the lesbian monster in it but the scene went over everyone's heads as I thought it would. The kids seemed to like the movie but it also felt unremarkable as nobody had anything else to say about it aside from me asking "Did you like the movie?" and them saying "Yeah." Pixar has lost their magic. I'm not saying that they make bad movies but they don't make great movies anymore. They haven't for a while.

walstib 03-10-2020 04:11 AM

one of the first we barely heard about and the kids have expressed zero interest. iĒll just buy the 4KUHD (disc) when it comes out, import the inevitable 3D blu from from the UK - just to have all the Pixar, good and bad. itíll still be far cheaper than taking the family to see it.

bring back John Lassiter.

Evil Avatar 03-10-2020 05:44 AM

I’ve seen two trailers for this one at the theater and both times you could kinda tell that the audience wasn’t very impressed. We gave this one a big “pass”. I know my kids are too old for these kind of movies, but if it had looked good we might have gone anyway just to get out of the house.

I’m tempted to go see The Hunt this week, it looks pretty gory.

Chief Smash 03-10-2020 08:43 AM

Apparently Birds of Prey really was conceived with politics in mind.

NACIONAL 03-10-2020 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Smash (Post 2554928)

https://media.giphy.com/media/3nIGQGcFyUhLq/giphy.gif

blackzc 03-10-2020 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElektroDragon (Post 2554876)
Guys this movie would have made double if not for coronavirus mark my words.

The characters are ugly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Booda (Post 2554851)

When i say hollywood is dead i mean it a very literal sense. Its just dumb and shitty.

Once the current crop of early 20 something retards finally grow up we might start seeing some closures. I cannot see them being replaced with new movie watchers. And they are they only thing keeping hollywood afloat.

Not shit talking but i dont see how any dude on this board pays money to watch a movie.