Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Game & Movie Releases for the week of June 2nd to June 8th (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260854)

Evil Avatar 06-03-2019 05:43 PM

Game & Movie Releases for the week of June 2nd to June 8th

Game & Movie Releases for the week of June 2nd to June 8th, 2019.

Retail Games
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II (PS4)
Warhammer: Chaosbane (PS4)
The Elder Scrolls Online: Elsweyr (PS4, Xbox, PC)
MotoGP 19 (PS4, Xbox)

Movies & TV
Batman vs. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan: Season One
Tyler Perry's A Madea Family Funeral
Lost in Space: Season 1
The Kid
The Venture Bros.: The Complete Seventh Season
The Haunting of Sharon Tate
Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise
Andromeda Strain
Trapped Alive
Godannar: Complete Collection
No-Rin: The Complete Series
Hellsing Ultimate: The Complete Collection
A Film Trilogy by Ingmar Bergman Criterion Collection
Laughing Under the Clouds: The Complete Series
J.T. LeRoy
Black Lagoon: The Complete Series/Roberta's Blood Trail OVA
Brothers Conflict: The Complete Series + OVA

Box Office
The Secret Life of Pets 2
Dark Phoenix
Late Night
Pavarotti

SpectralThundr 06-03-2019 06:14 PM

Battletech:Urban Warfare expansion out on Tuesday as well.

MavenACTG 06-03-2019 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2538690)

waaaaaaaaat.

vallor 06-03-2019 11:28 PM

Mirror mirror on the wall, show me which two of these four new movies releasing which are destined to fall...

Nevermind, it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to know SLoPets is going to kick everyone's ass. Phoenix will do OK but I predict winter may have come for a while to Sansa Stark's career. On the other hand, Dark Phoenix is a beloved tale, but they've fucked it up once already and I think not many people have faith they will do it right this time... or ever.

Poor Godzilla is going to have to hope he makes the rest of its money in video.

Evil Avatar 06-04-2019 06:35 AM

Godzilla was decent, but the timing is way off. It really needed to come out before Avengers to have even a chance of making their money back. Waiting till summer was pretty much over was a huge mistake and it’s costing them big time.

I have to wonder if Spider-Man will suffer the same fate. The last one was good, but I think I’ve seen enough of Spider-Man to feel comfortable skipping this one. The characters I want to see more of would be people like Doctor Strange or the pre-Endgame Hulk or even more Thor. Spider-Man? Without Venom? Not so much.

Chimpbot 06-04-2019 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2538715)
Godzilla was decent, but the timing is way off. It really needed to come out before Avengers to have even a chance of making their money back. Waiting till summer was pretty much over was a huge mistake and itís costing them big time.

I don't think Endgame affected it all that much, to be honest. It came out just over a month later, and even if all $7.8 million of Endgame's ticket sales had gone to KotM, it still would have fallen short of 2014's opening weekend take.

Would it have done better in March? Maybe. Critics would have still panned it, which is what I think did most of the damage.

vallor 06-04-2019 10:00 AM

Quote:

Godzilla was decent, but the timing is way off. It really needed to come out before Avengers to have even a chance of making their money back. Waiting till summer was pretty much over was a huge mistake and it’s costing them big time.

I have to wonder if Spider-Man will suffer the same fate. The last one was good, but I think I’ve seen enough of Spider-Man to feel comfortable skipping this one. The characters I want to see more of would be people like Doctor Strange or the pre-Endgame Hulk or even more Thor. Spider-Man? Without Venom? Not so much.

Spiderman will do well because people love this Peter Parker. It is a fresh take on what has been, so far, way too serious versions of Parker.

Tom Holland nailed the character and the cast, crew, writers have been done a great job so far.

That said he does tend to wear a little since he's one note but the romance between Aunt May and Happy will, I think, add more dimension and side plot to water down the PETER PARKER TURNED UP TO 11!!!

LostToys 06-04-2019 11:30 AM

Quote:

Godzilla was decent, but the timing is way off. It really needed to come out before Avengers to have even a chance of making their money back. Waiting till summer was pretty much over was a huge mistake and itís costing them big time.

I think the bigger mistake is waiting 5 years and it not resolving a lot of the complaints people had about the first one. So it is not a "must see" for a lot of casual viewers and even the diehards may skip it because they prefer the Japanese Godzilla films more.

If it had been released two years ago or featured the monsters more, even if they were just in the background doing nothing, or had fights not covered by wind, rain and darkness, more people would have showed up.

Chimpbot 06-04-2019 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostToys (Post 2538730)
I think the bigger mistake is waiting 5 years and it not resolving a lot of the complaints people had about the first one. So it is not a "must see" for a lot of casual viewers and even the diehards may skip it because they prefer the Japanese Godzilla films more.

If it had been released two years ago or featured the monsters more, even if they were just in the background doing nothing, or had fights not covered by wind, rain and darkness, more people would have showed up.

The monsters were in it significantly more. In fact, one of the complaints many of the negative critical reviews focused on was how there was too much of the monsters. Essentially, the complaints were the exact opposite of what they had for the 2014 movie.

Mad Max RW 06-04-2019 12:27 PM

I watched Rim of the World on Netflix and it’s a mixed bag. The nerd and the spoiled black kid are hilarious. There’s some really funny scenes that genuinely made me laugh. The whole time I was hoping the movie would go balls out insane but kept almost reaching that level then reigns itself in leaving me confused. I guess all I want is another Turbo Kid.

Inkabodcrane 06-04-2019 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2538731)
The monsters were in it significantly more. In fact, one of the complaints many of the negative critical reviews focused on was how there was too much of the monsters. Essentially, the complaints were the exact opposite of what they had for the 2014 movie.

I saw those complaints before going to the film. After seeing the film, I don't know if those reviewers were even paying attention. Probably they were nodding off between fights or something. Because one of my biggest complaints is there is way too much time spent with the boring as hell human characters. One scene in particular where the human "villain" was explaining why they were doing what they were doing made me irritated as hell. I expected to obviously have a human storyline to follow, but unlike Skull Island and even Godzilla, this one was really boring at times. Abnormally so.

ElektroDragon 06-04-2019 02:28 PM

What a goddamn waste! Elseweyr would have been amazing as a single player TES game. In fact it was the singplayer TES game I was DREAMING about and the trailer looks incredible, but it's all eye candy, since the actual TES Online game is total shit. Now I will never see my Elseweyr dream come true. Damn you Bethesda, you sellouts!

ElektroDragon 06-04-2019 02:30 PM

I'm seeing Godzilla in 3D today, but freaking Avengers can wait for 4K Bluray. Screw 3 hours with no potty break! Plus I'd have to see it again with my wife and kids anyway. They can tolerate 3 hours without breaks less than I can. And one kid is 3 with no babysitter.

PacerDawn 06-04-2019 02:39 PM

Quote:

Whaaaat? Summer hasn't even started yet (June 21st)! Man, summer blockbusters are starting earlier and earlier it seems. Soon it will be like, "What, your movie came out April 1st? Dude, the summer season is over!"

Quote:

Box Office
Dark Phoenix
Nope. Alas, I was bored to tears with Apocalypse. This will be the first one I don't see in the theater...

Quote:

A Film Trilogy by Ingmar Bergman Criterion Collection
No Whispers of the Wolf? No sale.

Dag-Sabot 06-04-2019 06:26 PM

Don't forget "Void Bastards". Have been having a blast with that one it's like borderlands but good.

LostToys 06-04-2019 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2538731)
The monsters were in it significantly more.

They were there more, but like Pacific Rim, they were featured most prominently in the rain. There was just a general lack of "presence" in the films because large areas of the world they fought in were already destroyed before they started to rumble and much of the action was obscured by time of day/weather.

CthulhuFan 06-06-2019 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElektroDragon (Post 2538739)
What a goddamn waste! Elseweyr would have been amazing as a single player TES game. In fact it was the singplayer TES game I was DREAMING about and the trailer looks incredible, but it's all eye candy, since the actual TES Online game is total shit. Now I will never see my Elseweyr dream come true. Damn you Bethesda, you sellouts!

Is the guess that ES:VI is Hammerfell? In any event, I quite enjoy ESO as a lore / story nerd and a solo player it has totally been fair/worth $15/mo to pay for the crafting bag.

wunshot 06-06-2019 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dag-Sabot (Post 2538750)
Don't forget "Void Bastards". Have been having a blast with that one it's like borderlands but good.

Thanks. Forgot I had that. :)

Going to play that tonight.