Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Godzilla Crushes the Weekend Boxoffice Chart (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260836)

Evil Avatar 06-02-2019 08:02 PM

Godzilla Crushes the Weekend Boxoffice Chart

Godzilla stomped on the competition, smashing his way into a $49 million opening weekend, delivering destruction at the low-end of the richter scale compared to Kong's $61 million or the previous films's $93.2 million.

Here is the Weekend Boxoffice Chart for the weekend of May 31st to June 2nd, 2019.
  1. Godzilla: King of the Monsters $49.0/$49.0
  2. Aladdin $42.3/$185.0
  3. Rocketman $25.0/$25.0
  4. Ma $18.2/$18.2
  5. John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum $11.1/$125.7
  6. Avengers: Endgame $7.8/$815.5
  7. Pokemon Detective Pikachu $6.6/$130.6
  8. Booksmart $3.3/$14.3
  9. Brightburn $2.3/$14.2
  10. The Hustle $1.3/$33.1
  11. A Dog's Journey $1.0/$18.7
  12. The Intruder $.810/$34.2

Chimpbot 06-03-2019 06:58 AM

Like I mentioned in a previous thread, KotM did pretty much precisely what I wanted it to do. Sure, it's not exactly the smartest movie out there and makes many of the same mistakes the series has been making over the course of 30+ movies...but it was fun. Could it have used more scenes with monsters? Sure, but they all suffer from that problem. KotM definitely had more of a focus on the monsters than 2014 did, but the split between human action and monster action has always favored the humans. It's a problem that will never really be solved, I think.

There were, of course, a few things here or there that I didn't necessarily like, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm looking forward to Godzilla vs Kong next year, although it does have the potential to be the end of the "Monsterverse" (unless, of course, Legendary renews their contract/agreements with Toho).

HB_IKE 06-03-2019 10:47 AM

Damn!
That makes me happy ... monster movies need to come back.

Inkabodcrane 06-03-2019 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HB_IKE (Post 2538673)
Damn!
That makes me happy ... monster movies need to come back.

While it won the weekend, it performed worse than expected and made less $$ than the previous two movies in the series. It reportedly cost $170 million to make, and studios usually spend an equal amount in marketing. Films usually need to make 3x the budget to be considered a success. So this is disappointing. I really hope it has legs and makes a bunch of money overseas (it pulled in $130 mil internationally) so this franchise continues after Godzilla vs Kong. Too many other "kaiju" films have been coming out lately which also doesn't help. Last year we had Pacific Rim 2 and Rampage, so the giant monster movie isn't as unique as it used to be.

As I stated in the other thread, while I was not as thrilled as I had hoped I would be with it, I still want it to do well and I'll always look forward to the next one.