Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Box Office Dark Phoenix Flops, Secret Life of Pets 2 Disappoints (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261018)

Evil Avatar 06-10-2019 10:25 AM

Box Office Dark Phoenix Flops, Secret Life of Pets 2 Disappoints
 

Kid-friendly The Secret Life of Pets 2 topped the weekend box office, while Dark Phoenix bombed, becoming an instant $100+ million loss for Fox.

Here is the Weekend Boxoffice Chart for the weekend of June 7th to June 9th, 2019.
  1. The Secret Life of Pets 2 $47.1/$48.0
  2. Dark Phoenix $33.0/$33.0
  3. Aladdin $24.5/$232.3
  4. Godzilla: King of the Monsters $15.5/$78.5
  5. Rocketman $14.0/$50.4
  6. Ma $7.8/$32.7
  7. John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum $7.4/$138.6
  8. Avengers: Endgame $4.8/$824.3
  9. Pokemon Detective Pikachu $2.9/$137.4
  10. Booksmart $1.5/$17.8
  11. A Dog's Journey $1.3/$21.0
  12. Brightburn $/560/$16.3

vallor 06-10-2019 11:41 AM

Ouch on all fronts.

Good for Secret Life of Pets for being the best of the worst.

Winter has come for Sansa Stark and the X-Women. Please let this be the last of the Jennifer Lawrence X-Men movies, and certainly the last of Sansa Stark. I can't stand either of them these days. JLaw was much better when she was a real human and down to earth but then she got high and mighty. Sansa seemed to let Game of Thrones success go to her head and lost any humility she may have once had. Very disappointing. I seriously don't even know her name. Nor do I care enough to look it up on IMDB. And I could have done that in half the time it took me to think of and write the last few sentences! That's how unimportant she is (and, frankly, most of the rest of the cast of GoT).

Aladdin is doing what I predicted, better than Dumbo but way worse than Beauty and the Beast. I am not seeing it in the theater for sure but I've heard it isn't as cringe as expected so maybe I'll catch it if it comes to Netflix.

Godzilla got stomped hard, even considering the international box office. I feel bad for it because it may be the deathknell for the monster verse.

Rocketman is not going to come CLOSE to Bohemian Rhapsody's $900m. Not only due to the gay sex scene which netted it an "R" rating but probably because instead of it being about an amazing musician who, oh yeah, happens to be gay it is about a gay dude who dresses up really strangely and happens to be a musician.

Booksmart is failing, not surprising since Oliva Wilde told everyone she didn't want people who disagreed with her to see her movies. I don't think she thought her cunning plan all the way through.

Brightburn must be burning someone. The Gunn's have found themselves a real failure here. Good thing Disney kissed ass to get this director back into the fold so he could put out a cookie cutter Guardian's movie. DC owes Satan... I mean Robert Iger a big thanks for taking Gunn off the market before he could do damage to DC franchises. They don't need any more help.

Chimpbot 06-10-2019 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vallor (Post 2539202)
Godzilla got stomped hard, even considering the international box office. I feel bad for it because it may be the deathknell for the monster verse.

It's a shame, really. It was pretty much exactly what I wanted (and was expecting, given the cast of characters being used. It was essentially a remake of Ghidorah: The Three-Headed Monster, after all) and while it wasn't perfect, I had a lot of fun with it. The memes about Ghidorah's slightly derpy left head - aka Kevin - are pretty fun, too.

Ultimately, the survival of the Monsterverse is gonna land on Godzilla vs Kong. We'll see how things go next year, I suppose.

Quote:

Brightburn must be burning someone. The Gunn's have found themselves a real failure here. Good thing Disney kissed ass to get this director back into the fold so he could put out a cookie cutter Guardian's movie. DC owes Satan... I mean Robert Iger a big thanks for taking Gunn off the market before he could do MORE damage to DC franchises.
Gunn is still directing Suicide Squad 2 (which is directly impacting the release of GotG3). A recently article I glossed over seemed to imply that he would be taking a pretty active role in the future of the DCEU, in fact.

Chief Smash 06-10-2019 01:35 PM

I saw Godzilla with my son (he's 9) yesterday and we both enjoyed it quite a bit. Yeah it wasn't perfect but it was Godzilla and it was fun. Sometimes people expect way too much.

Sensei-X 06-10-2019 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2539189)
Kid-friendly The Secret Life of Pets 2 topped the weekend box office, while Dark Phoenix bombed, becoming an instant $100+ million loss for Fox.

I don't think anyone expected Dark Phoenix to do anything at the box office other than fail, when you already know that regardless of the ending none of what you are about to see matters in the MCU it makes it hard to really bother with it. At the end of the day it's a Fox Marvel movie and that automatically makes it more than likely to be shit. Add to that that this is really nothing more than X-Men:The Last Stand Ver 2.0, arguably one of the worse X-Men movies, and it was just a formula for disaster.

Inkabodcrane 06-10-2019 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vallor (Post 2539202)
Brightburn must be burning someone. The Gunn's have found themselves a real failure here.

Brightburn is actually a pretty decent success. It cost $6 million to make, and has made $26 million total so far. It has more than quadrupled its budget. Studios need to triple the budget to be considered a success, so they have more than accomplished that. It is on a much smaller scale than big movies, but the budget to profit ratio is there.


My wife and I are going to see X-men in a couple hours. Hopefully it's not as bad as I've seen some places say.

excalibur1814 06-10-2019 02:34 PM

I went to see Godzilla: KTM and found it average and a bit boring.

I actually didn't mind the new X-men film. I wouldn't watch it again, although Michael Fastbender reminded me, again, that he's a fantastic actor.

karaliusbronius 06-10-2019 02:55 PM

They just don't get what makes the XMen, the XMen. They need to go back and put the right ones together in the right time frame with their correct powers and personalities. They just don't get it.

Mad Max RW 06-10-2019 03:09 PM

They need to bring back the 90s animated series. Same style, get as many of the original voice actors, follow the comics, and most of all use the same awesome intro theme.

McWolf 06-10-2019 03:35 PM

I didn't even know Secret Life of Pets 2 was a thing.

vallor 06-10-2019 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkabodcrane (Post 2539222)
Brightburn is actually a pretty decent success. It cost $6 million to make, and has made $26 million total so far.

Only $6m? I will have to revise my opinion of it's success.

Inkabodcrane 06-10-2019 08:08 PM

Just got back from X-men. While watching, every once in awhile I would think "when is this supposed to get bad?"

It never did. There might be little inconsistencies as far as the timeline and how it fits into the other films, I don't know. But as it's own film featuring characters and actors we have watched for many years now, it was pretty good. My friend who met us there also was expecting the worst, and felt the same way, which was cool.

It also had a killer score, composed by Hans Zimmer of course. I swear that guy is a mutant himself with how good his scores are.

So why the low ratings and everything? Seems like more due to the zeitgeist and other outside forces. It's not the best film ever, but it was enjoyable and I'll buy it not only to complete the collection, but for that damn sick musical score!

Azzy 06-10-2019 08:38 PM

Dark Phoenix suuuucked.
It jumped from plot point to plot point without ever actually giving characters motivation. Jean lost her fucking mind because she sneezed real hard at a party and decided she couldn't be trusted around people...except that had absolutely nothing to do with her actual motivation at any point. She just ran off to go find her dad, which for some reason made cops show up, and for some reason made her attack said cops, and then poof, she's a bad guy.
The movie made no sense. The characters were so nondimensional they couldn't cast shadows and wtf aliens?
But, hey, I was a huge fan of the comics and really respect the original story so I guess I have to be upset since they absolutely butchered it.

Inkabodcrane 06-10-2019 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azzy (Post 2539264)
Dark Phoenix suuuucked.
It jumped from plot point to plot point without ever actually giving characters motivation. Jean lost her fucking mind because she sneezed real hard at a party and decided she couldn't be trusted around people...except that had absolutely nothing to do with her actual motivation at any point. She just ran off to go find her dad, which for some reason made cops show up, and for some reason made her attack said cops, and then poof, she's a bad guy.
The movie made no sense. The characters were so nondimensional they couldn't cast shadows and wtf aliens?
But, hey, I was a huge fan of the comics and really respect the original story so I guess I have to be upset since they absolutely butchered it.

She sneezed real hard? Way to minimize what would be a significant event if it happened next to you. 20 or 30 people just got the effect of a bomb exploding next to them, caused by Jean.

The cops showed up because the neighbors houses all rattled like an earthquake when the plane landed, as evidenced by the scene inside the dad's house, and they saw the X-Men out front about to fight someone. She said over and over (too many times I thought but I guess not) that she keeps losing control and people near her get hurt. Cops got near her and got hurt.

Uh, yes, aliens. You said you read comics, right? I read comics almost daily, have had a pull box for years, and towards the end I found myself feeling like what I was watching felt like it was straight off of a comic book page. It was really cool.

I get not all people will like all movies, there are plenty I don't like that others do. I just can't rationalize the reasons you listed for not liking it.

ElektroDragon 06-11-2019 06:10 PM

Was it literally a sneeze? Also Brightburn was awesome.

ElektroDragon 06-11-2019 06:26 PM

Dark Pheonix $33m.... wow, not what I expected. I guess people's bladders were still hurting from Endgame, which I did NOT see in theaters, but will see on my new giant OLED.

Inkabodcrane 06-11-2019 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElektroDragon (Post 2539344)
Dark Pheonix $33m.... wow, not what I expected. I guess people's bladders were still hurting from Endgame, which I did NOT see in theaters, but will see on my new giant OLED.

No, it wasn't a sneeze haha. It was a telekenetic explosion of some kind.

Yeah it's not a good box office haul. But news is surfacing that Fox and Disney sabotaged the film for various reasons. It was supposed to be a 2 part movie. They wanted Captain Marvel to be the first female led superhero film, which is why Dark Phoenix was pushed back. The villains and heroes were considered too similar to Captain Marvel. Disney didnt want it to succeed because then they'd have to keep making X-men films with this cast and world, and they want to bring them to the MCU from scratch. A bunch of studio meddling just screwed the film over. But, the writer/director still managed to make an enjoyable X-men film, it just could've been better.

Evil Avatar 06-11-2019 08:32 PM

I skipped the last couple of X-Men movies, the cast did nothing for me. When I finally caught them on video, I just couldn’t get over how they keep showing Mystique in human form just so that Jennifer Lawrence doesn’t have to spend 6 hours putting on body paint every day.

That’s just lazy filmmaking. You don’t see Marvel giving Gamora or Nebula some kind of a holographic projector just so they can get out of putting on the makeup.

I saw interviews where Lawrence was crying about all the hours standing around to put that makeup on and then the very next movie she spends like 3/4 of the movie in human form. Dumb.

The rest of the cast wasn’t much better and without Wolverine... what is the X-Men really?

I doubt Disney did anything to sabotage the film, the merger wasn’t even final when that movie was filming. I think it was just that the last few movies weren’t good so people didn’t turn up for this one. It’s as simple as that.

Inkabodcrane 06-11-2019 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2539360)
The rest of the cast wasnít much better and without Wolverine... what is the X-Men really?

I doubt Disney did anything to sabotage the film, the merger wasnít even final when that movie was filming. I think it was just that the last few movies werenít good so people didnít turn up for this one. Itís as simple as that.

I agree regarding Jennifer Lawrence, that was dumb.

But I really liked the rest of the cast. Michael Fassbender is a badass Magneto. James Mcavoy is an awesome Prof X. The dude who plays Quicksilver is great. I like the cast quite a bit.

The rest of what you say though is talked about in that linked article.

Inkabodcrane 06-11-2019 10:22 PM



Here is a good honest review by former poster on the site (during the gamergate days), MundaneMatt. He says what I did, how it felt straight out of a comic book.



And you can see RedLetterMedia talk about both Godzilla and Dark Phoenix, they also like it more than reviews show. Also they're great.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:20 AM.