Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   No Man's Sky BEYOND Launch Trailer (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262045)

Evil Avatar 08-08-2019 08:13 PM

No Man's Sky BEYOND Launch Trailer

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...393a8580_z.jpg

Our biggest update yet. No Man's Sky BEYOND arrives on August 14.

Evil Avatar 08-08-2019 08:13 PM

vallor 08-08-2019 10:39 PM

Way too little, way too late.

Too bad cause it could have really ushered in something great.

PatrickRes9 08-08-2019 11:02 PM

Mozgus 08-09-2019 12:11 AM

All these updates combined have made it a pretty damn good game. I dont get the "too little too late". I'm constantly playing games from 10 or 20 years ago. I'm not concerned about "too late". I just want a damn good space game and this has arguably become the best one out there.

brandonjclark 08-09-2019 12:28 AM

So it's a free update?
.I'll probably pick it up and play it when Beyond is released next week.

Chimpbot 08-09-2019 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vallor (Post 2542116)

Too bad cause it could have really ushered in something great.

Folks have been saying this after every major update, but they've really done a good job of improving the game with nothing but free updates.

People are still playing the game and everything they've added to the game comes with absolutely no additional cost. What's to complain about at this point?

Terran 08-09-2019 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2542123)
What's to complain about at this point?

Chief Smash 08-09-2019 07:17 AM

I haven't played it myself but my son really enjoyed the game and looks forward to these big updates. Maybe it's just too late for the curmudgeons. ;)

PatrickRes9 08-09-2019 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2542123)
Folks have been saying this after every major update, but they've really done a good job of improving the game with nothing but free updates.

People are still playing the game and everything they've added to the game comes with absolutely no additional cost. What's to complain about at this point?

It's not bad that they turned things around. And by most accounts they're actually encroaching the game they promised and more. They've done a commendable job releasing all of the free patches and updates that, from what I have read and heard, have improved the game quite a bit.

But my issues are two-fold.

1. I don't want to support the "release now, make an actual game over three years" model.

2. There have been so many quality releases since then, even if I wanted to play, the game is so far down my backlog rabbit hole, that I'd probably never get around to it.

Terran 08-09-2019 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 (Post 2542128)
...they're actually encroaching the game they promised...

approaching? :confused:

Chimpbot 08-09-2019 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran (Post 2542124)

If you never bought it, haven't played it, and never intend to play it...what is there to complain about? They're continuing to support the game three years later with major updates, all of which are available for no additional cost.

It's a completely different game from what it was at release.

Terran 08-09-2019 09:47 AM

You asked "What's to complain about at this point?"

I answered. :D

Mad Max RW 08-09-2019 03:08 PM

It is rare to see a developer stick around and do the right thing. NMS is a pretty good casual game and is silly to think it will be anything deeper with expanded multiplayer and other doodads. I’m just happy these things are free because you can bet your ass if the launch wasn’t such a disaster they would have monetized everything and blocked modding.

Arionuq 08-09-2019 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max RW (Post 2542151)
It is rare to see a developer stick around and do the right thing. NMS is a pretty good casual game and is silly to think it will be anything deeper with expanded multiplayer and other doodads. Iím just happy these things are free because you can bet your ass if the launch wasnít such a disaster they would have monetized everything and blocked modding.

/agree. If you own it you loose nothing trying it, If you don't then the bitterness of the original release is meaningless. It is at this point a game that will definitely appeal to people who fall into a certain niche. I understand disliking "release now fix later" but the length and support they have put into this make it a different animal.

Romulex 08-09-2019 08:10 PM

I still enjoy the game personally, it has properly picked up itself in the past year. I still feel its more fun as a multiplayer or lets player's game, solo cant get a little repetitive after a couple of hours unless you have a large goal. Within the first 24 hours playing, I had built a reasonably large base and bought a starfleet with four smaller ships.

I still enjoy playing with friends, but it does get to a point where you feel like there is not much else to do, and then you realise there really isnt. Wish the game well in the future, and I might return soon. I put in 57 hours before I realised I was starting to get tired of what I was doing.

PatrickRes9 08-10-2019 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arionuq (Post 2542153)
I understand disliking "release now fix later" but the length and support they have put into this make it a different animal.

While I do appreciate what they're doing for their fans, and people who already purchased the game, I think that's the crux of my issue. I just do not want to support a game that has finally become a game 3 years after launch. I don't want to support that. I don't want the industry to make that the standard. It's already too heavily moving in that direction with "games as a service", which is just a nice way of saying "here's a shell of a game. We may or may not make it a game actually worthy of the dollars you spent on it over the next year or two.".

vallor 08-10-2019 04:04 PM

Also, it should be noted that NMS didn't drop price from their $59.99 tag to $29.99 until about 6 or 8 months ago.

So it isn't just out of the goodness of their heart they've been giving these updates out, they've been charging full price for the game, across all platforms, for the better part of it's lifecycle.

IIRC it was even full price on Steam (which means the measly 10% off at best, even during sales) until the last few Steam sales when if finally dipped down to 50% off where now it appears to have settled at $30 USD in the States.

Primus 08-10-2019 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mozgus (Post 2542120)
All these updates combined have made it a pretty damn good game. I dont get the "too little too late". I'm constantly playing games from 10 or 20 years ago. I'm not concerned about "too late". I just want a damn good space game and this has arguably become the best one out there.

Yeah, I don't get this mentality either. My buddy said the same thing when I suggested we check this out this week. I get not buying the game in a sorry state, but there's absolutely no reason to not play the game and support it once it has been brought to a good place. All you are doing is denying yourself a good game.

vivafletcher 08-10-2019 09:50 PM

NMS has become one of my favorite games. It's a great form of relaxation when you just want to unwind. It's become the game they promised and they keep adding to it.

Was it a huge letdown when it first came out? Sure. But from the very first update they made it an enjoyable experience. And they keep rewarding the buyer with more content, years after they made any money from you. They're the philosophical opposite of EA.

Definitely not too little and definitely not too late for me. If they never add a thing to it I got more than my money's worth, and I saw a company step up and do the right thing.