Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Christmas Comes Early... the first Hellboy Trailer is Here (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257774)

Evil Avatar 12-19-2018 05:43 PM

Christmas Comes Early... the first Hellboy Trailer is Here

Hellboy In theaters April 12, 2019. Starring David Harbour, Milla Jovovich, Ian McShane, Daniel Dae Kim, and Sasha Lane.

MavenACTG 12-19-2018 05:45 PM

If Ron Perlman wasn't alive and had been Hellboy before, I might think this looked OK.

It does not seem to hold a candle to the original.

Mad Max RW 12-19-2018 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MavenACTG (Post 2526686)
If Ron Perlman wasn't alive and had been Hellboy before, I might think this looked OK.

It does not seem to hold a candle to the original.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat and will give it a pass. Huge Ron Perlman fan and dabbled in the Hellboy comics, but his acting and Guillermo del Toro's directing elevated it so much. This reboot doesn't look terrible even though I feel dirty watching the trailer. Especially knowing how badly they fought to get Hellboy 3 funded only to be ignored.

Chief Smash 12-19-2018 08:00 PM

I really enjoyed Hellboy 1 but I really didn’t care for 2 at all. I’m not really surprised that 3 didn’t get the green light. Still, in comparison to those two, this trailer doesn’t quite look right.

ElektroDragon 12-19-2018 08:32 PM

Del Toro or bust.... because once Del Toro directs, no franchise is ever the same. True for Pacific Rim, and for this.

Ghostblaze 12-19-2018 08:36 PM

WTF did I just watch? This looks like shit.

brandonjclark 12-19-2018 09:33 PM

It looks so.... British, in the bad British way.

Hrmm, I'll probably still watch it but the DelToro movies had magic. I felt like I was watching a fairy tale.

This looks like Judd Apatow directed a superhero movie.

Azzy 12-20-2018 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonjclark (Post 2526701)
It looks so.... British, in the bad British way.

I was thinking the same thing. Very poorly written jokes (the I.D. scene, really? we're still doing that?) that are very poorly enacted.

It's a strange thing to reboot since it's not like it's an IP that people like...talk about, or want. It's like the fifteen versions of Judge Dredd, who the hell is in charge of this stuff? Where's Concrete? Where's Lobo?

excalibur1814 12-20-2018 01:23 AM

As above... The British was strong with this one. Brings it down to earth (and not in a good way). I'm from Wales etc.

This film, as also said above, has very large shoes to fill. I truly hope that it's a good film but the feeling wasn't great, from the trailer, but it must be given a chance.

Chimpbot 12-20-2018 05:15 AM

I'm holding out hope that this is just a bad trailer for what will end up being a decent movie. Mike Mignola is much more involved this time around, so I'm not worried about the tone of the film itself.

I think this trailer is an example of studios one again learning the wrong lessons from Guardians of the Galaxy.

MavenACTG 12-20-2018 06:49 AM

I can't over how looking at Hellboy's face reminds me of a sphincter.

timmyd 12-20-2018 07:40 AM

What about that cat that looks like Ron Perlman?

http://dailytips4u.com/want-to-see-a...course-you-do/

Evil Avatar 12-20-2018 07:42 AM

I'll be honest, it doesn't look terrible, but it does look like the same bland 100% CGI movie we have just been seeing over and over.

Metal Jesus 12-20-2018 03:47 PM

Eh... Does it look like the Hellboy actor is struggling with the mouth prosthetics? Like he can't talk quite right?

We need Ron Perlman back. I'm sorry...but this isn't working for me.

Evil Avatar 12-20-2018 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metal Jesus (Post 2526779)
Eh... Does it look like the Hellboy actor is struggling with the mouth prosthetics? Like he can't talk quite right?

We need Ron Perlman back. I'm sorry...but this isn't working for me.

It does look like they did too much to his face to make him look more like Ron Pearlman.

Terran 12-20-2018 05:24 PM

It looks a lot like another forgettable paint-by-numbers CGI action adventure.

Creativity is so rare nowadays. So many films are just lifeless.

EmoryM 12-21-2018 12:14 AM

At least he's not a woman now.

Scherge 12-21-2018 12:40 AM

I agree with everything said above except the notion of the second movie being inferior to the first. I loved the introduction of the characters in the first film, but didn't care for the overarching story. I barely remember the generic tentacled world-eating monster at the end - it was purple, right? The Golden Army had a great, somewhat tragic villain, way better fights and - of course - better SFX. Wait. Was Hellboy II the one with the drawn-out love and jealousy bit? I didn't like that much, but otherwise really enjoyed both movies.

This new one looks like a teenage prequel to me, kinda like "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" felt compared to "Spider-Man 2". Not really bad, but obviously not directed at me.