Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   One Quarter One Play (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260976)

BeardedSonOfNel 06-09-2019 02:07 PM

One Quarter One Play

It's Sunday again, and time to fire up MAME. Click the headline to come inside and see what game I'm playing this week.

BeardedSonOfNel 06-09-2019 02:07 PM

More often than not I play retro arcade style games. The biggest reason I guess is because I don’t have much time to game anymore, and these can be played in five to ten minute chunks. I don’t have to try to remember what item I’m looking for, where to find it, or even why I’m on the quest in the first place. I can just jump into some mindless fun. My back catalog of grand epic games is going to be huge when I retire some day, and I can’t wait to play them, but until then….

Today’s game is Elevator Action. Elevator Action was originally released by Taito in the arcades in 1983, and later ported to every console, and 8-bit micro computer I can think of. In the game you take on the roll of a spy Agent 17. Your code name is Otto.

The game starts with Otto entering a 30 story building from the roof. (When I was a kid I thought it was cool how Otto came in on a zip line.) From there you must navigate Otto down through the building using elevators and escalators. Along the way you must collect secret documents which can be found behind red doors. If you attempt to exit the building without collecting all the documents; you’ll be transported back to the highest floor with a red door.

On top of all of that you’re going to have to avoid being shot by the buildings security agents. Otto can shoot, duck, and do a flying jump kick attack, and you’ll need to master those moves as the enemies become faster, and trickier to take out as the levels advance.

Arcade Hardware

The game was built on Taito’s System SJ hardware. The board had three CPUs. Two were Z80s running at 4 MHz and 3 MHz respectively. The third processor was a M68705 running at 3. MHz. My research suggests that the M68705 worked with the main Z80 CPU (4 MHz). The other Z80 (3 MHz) was used to control the four AY-3-8910A sound chips running at 1.5 MHz DAC. The board’s video resolution is 256 X 224. This board was used in many Taito games including Jungle Hunt and Alpine Ski.

When I was a kid this game was very hard for me in the arcade, and I was so happy when a good port was released on the Nintendo Entertainment System.

Laz 06-09-2019 03:41 PM

That was a fun arcade game. I found It and crazy climber both hard to play.

BeardedSonOfNel 06-09-2019 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 2539042)
That was a fun arcade game. I found It and crazy climber both hard to play.

You're right, Crazy Climber was very difficult!

BeardedSonOfNel 06-09-2019 05:45 PM

Here is a short video of the NES port. It was an early NES game, and while not perfect it did the job.