Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   EA Has "Difficult Quarter," Stock Price Nosedives (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258582)

Evil Avatar 02-06-2019 07:50 AM

EA Has "Difficult Quarter," Stock Price Nosedives

Quote:

Video game giant Electronic Arts reported earnings today for its fiscal third quarter ended December 31, and it could have gone better during the all-important holiday period. While EA did post gains in revenue and profit, the company said in its official remarks that it was a "difficult quarter" that saw the company fail to meet its commercial expectations.

CFO Blake Jorgensen said in prepared remarks that 2018 was a "tumultuous" year for the gaming industry overall. Though he did not share any specifics, he might have been referring to the way in which the absolute juggernaut Fortnite shook up the industry in the past year. Not only that, but Red Dead Redemption 2's release in October might have impacted sales of EA's games.

While it might not have been the quarter EA wanted, Jorgensen said EA is "making adjustments to improve execution and we're refocusing on R&D." EA CEO Andrew Wilson said the company is looking to "sharpen" its execution going forward.

One title that struggled during the period was Battlefield 5. The World War II shooter sold a massive 7.3 million copies, but this was 1 million shy of what EA expected.
Gamespot.

Returning to WWII did nothing for me. It's just been done too much.

Evil Avatar 02-06-2019 07:51 AM

I also think that after Battlefield 1 had only two flying missions, I didn't see the point in buying Battlefield V since I figured the air-to-air combat portion would be equally meager.

brandonjclark 02-06-2019 08:13 AM

I'm actually tempted to buy Anthem, the game play was much better than I thought it would be. It needed some optimizations though.

I haven't bought a BF game since BF 4.

Mozain 02-06-2019 08:15 AM

I've downloaded BFV because I'm an origin premier sub for a month, but honestly? I did the tutorial intro thing and it just feels much too like BF1, which is to say it felt like trash playing it.

Hope Anthem does well, but I have some concerns there too. Still pre-ordered cause I have more money then sense, just hoping it's a good game to play with my sibling/buddies.

Evil Avatar 02-06-2019 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonjclark (Post 2530143)
I'm actually tempted to buy Anthem, the game play was much better than I thought it would be. It needed some optimizations though.

I haven't bought a BF game since BF 4.

Iím torn, it seems like a destiny clone which is a good thing, but the demo level was pretty dull.

excalibur1814 02-06-2019 08:24 AM

I hope the remix of C&C will make mega-cash and then, maybe, EA will finally realise that they should make a NEW game without any micro-transactions or F2P rubbish.

Maybe.

Is that a pig in the sky?

brandonjclark 02-06-2019 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by excalibur1814 (Post 2530146)
I hope the remix of C&C will make mega-cash and then, maybe, EA will finally realise that they should make a NEW game without any micro-transactions or F2P rubbish.

Maybe.

Is that a pig in the sky?

Where's the info on THAT game?

Mozain 02-06-2019 08:29 AM

I have some hope for Anthem, in so much that they seem very receptive to user feedback.

Their pilot skill system was garbage (minor +% increments to various stats? That's the most lazy/uninspired kind of skill tree there is!) so they have now apparently scraped the pilot skill tree system for launch and will reintroduce it when it's more meaningful.

Franjo 02-06-2019 09:19 AM

If I have any want to fire up a BF game, I reinstall origin and install BF4. I am in no way giving EA money for a game I have zero interest in playing. Yes I'm one of these guys "There is chicks in this game with braveheart facepaint and robot arms...not buying".

BalekFekete 02-06-2019 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2530145)
I’m torn, it seems like a destiny clone which is a good thing, but the demo level was pretty dull.

This 100%. I loved the design, graphics, flight mechanics, etc. However, the lack of depth at launch has me VERY worried about the length it would keep me engaged. The idea of only having three strongholds is likely a problem for end game...

I'll know more after the Division 2 beta this weekend. If that is solid, I'll likely be going that route for my looter/shooter action.

EL CABONG 02-06-2019 09:36 AM

Good making a WW2 game was dumb. They should have known it was played out and overdone . They should take a hit for bad choices.

I was interested in Athem but had some concerns.
The stuff I was worried about is mostly a non issue.
The enimes are very bullet spongy. Which I don't love.I think it is more of a wait till it's cheap sorta thing for me now.

hellcinder 02-06-2019 09:49 AM

I was hoping for more of BF1942 I guess. More grand battles with ships and planes to go with ground combat. That's what a battlefield game is about.

Played quite a bit of BF 5 and it's a reskined BF1, but not finished.

Chief Smash 02-06-2019 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EL CABONG (Post 2530154)
The enimes are very bullet spongy. Which I don't love.

I noticed that in the videos I've seen but I wasn't sure how it felt in actual gameplay. That's a red flag for me. Spongy enemies can make gunplay pretty unsatisfying.

vallor 02-06-2019 11:14 AM

I love it. Get woke, go broke.

Quote:

EA on the backlash against women in Battlefield V: ‘Accept it or don’t buy the game’
As for Anthem I played demo (on the PC) and I really, really, really wanted to like it. Instead I walked away unsatisfied.

From the first minute you are moving around in the city the game is almost working against you. You are in 1st person, you walks really SLLLLOOOOWWWW and you can't talk to anyone.

Controls are pretty basic, which is nice. But the guns are like pea-shooters forcing you to rely on your special abilities to feel powerful.

To be fair if you play it like Destiny where you horde your special abilities because you are afraid of the REALLY LONG cool downs then you will have a much worse time, the cool downs are more reasonable in Anthem but not so fast that you can put the guns away.

And when you have to use your guns you are emptying a full clip into a badguy before they die. Even the melee assault barely seemed to scratch a badguy for more than 25% of it's health. I went down to almost no health many times foolishly thinking my melee could compete with a badguy.

For a loot game it is stingy. Very stingy. In all the time I played I got one whole green item (they boosted you to level 10 for the demo and you could play to level 15). This isn't a shooter-looter.

Of course the excuse was that this demo was using bits from 6 months ago or something and everything for release would be better, blah blah blah.

Finally, they still have yet to talk about their Macro-transaction scheme and I haven't even touched on the legion of technical problems like disconnection issues, lag, mobs disappearing, and so on.

I won't buy it, but I thought I might subscribe to their premium for a month at $14.99 to play it. Based on the weekend demo with the gameplay problems and the massive number of technical issues, along with no word on how abusive the Macro-transactions will be I am currently in a "wait and see" holding pattern.

I think I may subscribe to Premium in March, a few weeks after launch when they get their shit together. That may be the sweet spot.

ElektroDragon 02-06-2019 11:15 AM

They need to get rid of Boredomfield and actually do something original again. Both EA and Activision are doing nothing but selling empty shells of games now to dumb sheep who eat up their marketing engine. :rolleyes:

SpectralThundr 02-06-2019 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vallor (Post 2530166)
I love it. Get woke, go broke.

As for Anthem I played demo (on the PC) and I really, really, really wanted to like it. Instead I walked away unsatisfied.

From the first minute you are moving around in the city the game is almost working against you. You are in 1st person, you walks really SLLLLOOOOWWWW and you can't talk to anyone.

Controls are pretty basic, which is nice. But the guns are like pea-shooters forcing you to rely on your special abilities to feel powerful.

To be fair if you play it like Destiny where you horde your special abilities because you are afraid of the REALLY LONG cool downs then you will have a much worse time, the cool downs are more reasonable in Anthem but not so fast that you can put the guns away.

And when you have to use your guns you are emptying a full clip into a badguy before they die. Even the melee assault barely seemed to scratch a badguy for more than 25% of it's health. I went down to almost no health many times foolishly thinking my melee could compete with a badguy.

For a loot game it is stingy. Very stingy. In all the time I played I got one whole green item (they boosted you to level 10 for the demo and you could play to level 15). This isn't a shooter-looter.

Of course the excuse was that this demo was using bits from 6 months ago or something and everything for release would be better, blah blah blah.

Finally, they still have yet to talk about their Macro-transaction scheme and I haven't even touched on the legion of technical problems like disconnection issues, lag, mobs disappearing, and so on.

I won't buy it, but I thought I might subscribe to their premium for a month at $14.99 to play it. Based on the weekend demo with the gameplay problems and the massive number of technical issues, along with no word on how abusive the Macro-transactions will be I am currently in a "wait and see" holding pattern.

I think I may subscribe to Premium in March, a few weeks after launch when they get their shit together. That may be the sweet spot.

I wanted to like it as well, instead it felt like a poor man's destiny with jet packs. And again, at least in the demo, forced grouping. I don't want that shit, I've never wanted that shit. Let me do quests and missions alone, don't make me rely on idiots who don't know what they're doing or don't care enough to do the actual mission objectives. These publishers believing that people only want always on, always social multiplayer games are so fucking wrong it's not even funny anymore.

Battletech is a single player game with a tacked on MP skirmish mode that noone in that community cares about, I've sunk over 700 hours into it. Fallout 4 again a singleplayer game, I have over 200 hours in, the Dragon age titles which are mostly SP games, hundreds of hours over the course of 3 games, literally over 100 just in Inquisition which I'm currently replaying through now. I don't want your forced social experiment open world games EA, or Activision or whoever else thinks they're the way forward. And I know that being an adult who doesn't have infinite time to game, that I'm not the only person who feels this way.

MavenACTG 02-06-2019 11:38 AM

Sells 7 million copies, but they wanted 8. Commercial failure. Reminds me of Dead Space.

"In general we're thinking about how we make this a more broadly appealing franchise, because ultimately you need to get to audience sizes of around five million to really continue to invest in an IP like Dead Space. Anything less than that and it becomes quite difficult financially given how expensive it is to make games and market them. We feel good about that growth but we have to be very paranoid about making sure we don't change the experience so much that we lose the fanbase."

https://web.archive.org/web/20120619...e=4#top_banner

The site that originally hosted the interview is junk.

Exodus 02-06-2019 12:28 PM

After getting the storm Anthem pretty much sold me. The starting jav was boring shit but storm was satisfying as hell. It's unfortunate they couldn't make all the others as flashy and satisfying as the storm there is quite a bit of feedback difference in feeling like you are doing cool things between the javs.

Terran 02-06-2019 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElektroDragon (Post 2530167)
They need to get rid of Boredomfield and actually do something original again. Both EA and Activision are doing nothing but selling empty shells of games now to dumb sheep who eat up their marketing engine. :rolleyes:

Whaaaaaat are you taaaaalking about? :D

https://i.imgur.com/oa74Xl1.jpg

SpectralThundr 02-06-2019 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran (Post 2530189)
Whaaaaaat are you taaaaalking about? :D

https://i.imgur.com/oa74Xl1.jpg

Nice selfie :D