Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Apex Legends Hits 10 Million Players in 72 Hours (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258647)

DrizziTx 02-08-2019 03:33 AM

Apex Legends Hits 10 Million Players in 72 Hours

Quote:

On Tuesday morning, it was looking distinctly like Respawn Entertainment's battle royale gamble had paid off, with Apex Legends having amassed 1 million players in just a few hours after its surprise launch. Now, however, 72 hours in, that's climbed to a whopping 10 million players.
Quote:

"We hoped you'd love it as much as us, but never in our wildest dreams could we have expected the outpouring of support and positivity we've seen," Zampella continued, "From all of us at Respawn, thank you for giving us and Apex Legends a chance."
It also seem Eurogamer really likes this game, so there, let the debate on the quality of this game continue here in EvAv.

I hope they do well with this, they deserve a break! (I totally ignore the EA side of things here, we all know what EA are worth.)

Also tips and tricks by Eurogamer Here.

Original article Here.

brandonjclark 02-08-2019 07:29 AM

Downloading now!

Mozain 02-08-2019 08:10 AM

Let the discussion begin!

Though as I (and a few here, including Patrick in the last thread) have said before, it simply boils down to it being a fun, polished game with many great QoL changes to the genre and in some cases gaming in general.

Congrats Respawn, well deserved in my opinion.

brandonjclark 02-08-2019 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mozain (Post 2530345)
Let the discussion begin!

Though as I (and a few here, including Patrick in the last thread) have said before, it simply boils down to it being a fun, polished game with many great QoL changes to the genre and in some cases gaming in general.

Congrats Respawn, well deserved in my opinion.

Just played my first round. Thoughts:
  • Enemies are kinda bullet spongey (I pumped one guy full of lead and he didn't die! sad!)
  • Movement is incredible and everything you'd want in a game like this, very happy with this.
  • Guns feel different enough
  • Super's are a little weak
  • Character choosing is cool
  • Performance is fantastic, the game runs smooth!
  • Colorful enough witout being too cartoonish, important to me!
  • Character animations are fluid and varied.
  • No white guys! WTF Respawn? Why can't I choose a white guy?

Chief Smash 02-08-2019 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonjclark (Post 2530346)
  • No white guys! WTF Respawn? Why can't I choose a white guy?

You can... eventually. There's the bad toxic guy (toxic white masculinity haha :D) and then the hologram decoy guy. You have to unlock them though.

VideoMike101 02-08-2019 09:40 AM

Is this on Source engine?

Mozain 02-08-2019 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VideoMike101 (Post 2530350)
Is this on Source engine?

I believe it is a modified Source yes, as all Respawn games have been.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I got that wrong.

brandonjclark 02-08-2019 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mozain (Post 2530354)
I believe it is a modified Source yes, as all Respawn games have been.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I got that wrong.

I would agree. It felt very Sourcey.

vallor 02-08-2019 02:27 PM

It isn't how many log in, it is how many stay. And even then it is how many stay and purchase. Having experience with building BR games I know the ratios can be pretty drastic between the audiences depending on how much they have polished the First Time User Experience (FTUE).

If it is too painful the ratio could be something like 1000:100:0.5 (people playing one session: people playing multiple sessions: people purchasing something).

I wish them luck but I've seen this before and it's wise to temper these expectations.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the network analysis starts happening for how their hit reg is measured, overall latency, tick rates, and all the other metrics which determine how sticky games like this are with the more competitive crowd.

Then again the Fortnite Hitreg is rated to be pretty bad and if it weren't for the fact they have such a large population they can filter to help mask it there would be a lot more complaints. It will be a wild ride for Respawn, that is for sure!

Chris @Battle(non)Sense is the bomb when it comes to doing Netcode analysis. He's got tons of videos on all the shooters like COD, PUBG, Fortnite, Battlefield, H1Z1, and so on. This should be required viewing for most people before they talk about multiplayer. Some of it is remedial but get past the first few minutes and many people will learn something.

blackzc 02-08-2019 08:25 PM

This came outta nowhere. I'm totally into it. Some of the characters are cringe but its dam fun to play. Even won a match tonight. i haven't been this surprised by a game i didn't even know was coming out for prolly 20 years.

Have to unlock the top tier white dude asap. I've been picking the robot. His cable has come in handy more than once.

I hope to god this destroys Fortnight. I have a seething hate for that game.

Terran 02-08-2019 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonjclark (Post 2530346)
No white guys! WTF Respawn? Why can't I choose a white guy?

LOL. Well, it has one fan at least below! :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackzc (Post 2530410)
This came outta nowhere. I'm totally into it.

lololololololol.

DrizziTx 02-09-2019 01:36 AM

@Vallor do note
Quote:

and to celebrate another milestone in the form of 1 million concurrent players
It is mentioned in the same article, so for now seems stickiness is pretty good, but I know this can be volatile so we'll see how it goes for the game in a few weeks.

blackzc 02-09-2019 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran (Post 2530416)
LOL. Well, it has one fan at least below! :D

lololololololol.

Go play your commie tablet, neocon. You put far too many lololo's in there. What the hell is your problem, bro?

Terran 02-09-2019 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackzc (Post 2530423)
You put far too many lololo's in there.

I was laughing. What can I say? :D

Once you go black, you never go back! lololol

SpectralThundr 02-09-2019 11:51 AM

I'd actually prolly play it a little if it did solos. Forced 3 man groups just isn't my thing.

Chief Smash 02-09-2019 12:30 PM

From what I understand, they make squads work with nice interface functionality (the pinging system etc.) I just feel no desire to choose any of the characters they supply with the base game. Games need to go back to giving more generic options or a character creator. They won’t of course because they need to be able to make cash off of new characters but these characters just do absolutely nothing for me. It was ultimately why I lost interest in Overwatch too. Lots of characters but none of them really felt all that good or interesting.

brandonjclark 02-09-2019 01:51 PM

I'm loving this game.

I can't believe how good it is considering it came out of nowhere, like Blackz said.

So polished, so fast and smooth.

Kreigmstr 02-10-2019 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralThundr (Post 2530434)
I'd actually prolly play it a little if it did solos. Forced 3 man groups just isn't my thing.

It's actually not that bad to be in a group. You never have to actually talk to them to play cooperatively. The ping system they added is brilliant. Check out this review I think it says it all pretty succinctly.

LostToys 02-10-2019 11:07 PM

Solos still has value if you are worried about your squad being dead weight. The reason is that you could do better solo than stuck with two other players who can't help you fight three other players in another squad.

Mozain 02-10-2019 11:39 PM

I'd be fine with a solo mode, just remove the character abilities.

Having character abilities in it and no team will just mean that one character will rise to the top (It's clearly not balanced for solo) and that's likely all anyone will play in a solo mode anyways.