Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Tarantino Has his Best Opening Weekend of all Time (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261824)

Evil Avatar 07-28-2019 07:55 PM

Tarantino Has his Best Opening Weekend of all Time

The Lion King is still King of the box office for a second week, but the real winner was Quentin Tarantino's Once Upon a Time in Hollywood having the highest opening of all time for a Tarantino film.

Here is the Weekend Boxoffice Chart for the weekend of July 26th to July 28th, 2019.
  1. The Lion King $75.5/$350.7
  2. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood $40.3/$40.3
  3. Spider-Man: Far from Home $12.2/$344.4
  4. Toy Story 4 $9.8/$395.6
  5. Crawl $4.0/$31.4
  6. Yesterday $3.0/$63.3
  7. Aladdin $2.7/$345.9
  8. Stuber $1.6/$20.1
  9. Annabelle Comes Home $1.5/$69.7
  10. The Farewell $1.5/$3.6
  11. The Secret Life of Pets 2 $.880/$153.6
  12. Avengers: Endgame $.824/$856.4
The Tarantino film was great and the ending was an amazing shocker. It also has a lot less profanity than his regular films and like no nudity, so it's a pretty safe film. We could have taken the kids.

actusoul 07-28-2019 10:15 PM

Looking forward to Tarantino. Hopefully, he makes Kill Bill III or Star Trek.

Inkabodcrane 07-29-2019 03:07 AM

Haven't seen it yet, plan to go tomorrow after stopping by the comic shop. Hope I like it, I like Hateful Eight and Death Proof quite a lot - as well as his normal hits, so I think I probably will.

Finally watching Chernobyl now and this shit is crazy as well.

NACIONAL 07-29-2019 06:34 AM

Saw the Lion king last weekend.

The animation was incredibly amazing. The animals were very real and believable.

But it lack the emotion of the original film, the fact that the animal were antrophormized gave them real emotions and faces that you could connect with. such as:

Still loved it, it was amazingly done and the lion cubs were cute.

I wasn't prepared to watch Mufasa die again :'(

CthulhuFan 07-29-2019 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by actusoul (Post 2541649)
Looking forward to Tarantino. Hopefully, he makes Kill Bill III or Star Trek.

I would love to see Tarantino do Star Trek.

ElektroDragon 07-29-2019 12:30 PM

The Hollywood trailer looked like the most boring POS movie imaginable. Tarantino should just stick to westerns.

Primus 07-29-2019 06:13 PM

I am a huge Tarantino fan but I was immensely disappointed with it. It is the least Tarantino Tarantino film. No vignettes scene-framing, no good characters, no good dialogue, no tension through dialogue, and all three entities meeting at the end just seemed circumstantial with no real emotional payoff. It really just was an upfront homage to 1960s Hollywood. DiCaprio is DiCaprio and has his moments, the ending kind of had a poignant symbolism, but in no way do these brief high-points justify plodding through its 2 hours.

I asked my mom if I was missing something since the late 60s was her heyday, but she also expressed a huge disappointment with the film.

Inkabodcrane 07-29-2019 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElektroDragon (Post 2541665)
The Hollywood trailer looked like the most boring POS movie imaginable. Tarantino should just stick to westerns.

I really hated the trailer also, partially because I go to the theater very often so I saw it way too many times. TBH the trailer reduced my excitement for the film overall...which might be part of why I did like the movie.

For much of the film, you are just watching scenes in mostly chronological order, that don't really feel like they're leading up to any sort of interesting point. BUT, the scenes are inherently interesting on their own, so it's not like it's boring or painful to watch them.

However, the ending was quite cool, I like how he took a real historical tragedy and just turned it to the right 90 degrees. Having made some of the characters interact earlier in the film made for a real fun arc.

In the end, I did quite enjoy myself and I can see watching it again and discovering things I missed the first (and 2nd, 3rd) time.

It's too soon to rank it amongst his films, but I think I'd at least put it above Django and Four Rooms.