Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   SMILE. The First Trailer for Joaquin Phoenix's Joker is Here (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259759)

Evil Avatar 04-03-2019 08:36 AM

SMILE. The First Trailer for Joaquin Phoenix's Joker is Here

https://live.staticflickr.com/7833/4...cac54a3810.jpg

Joker - Teaser Trailer - In Theaters October 4th.

Evil Avatar 04-03-2019 08:36 AM

karaliusbronius 04-03-2019 08:39 AM

I thought the trailer was coming out tomorrow, are they doing another one tomorrow? Either way I'm stoked, this looks better than expected!!

Evil Avatar 04-03-2019 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karaliusbronius (Post 2534555)
I thought the trailer was coming out tomorrow, are they doing another one tomorrow? Either way I'm stoked, this looks better than expected!!

Yesterday they said the teaser trailer was coming out today.

It looks dark. That is what the DC universe needs more of... darkness. No parents.

Booda 04-03-2019 11:35 AM

Nope.

Remember... this guy is directing it.

MavenACTG 04-03-2019 12:32 PM

It'll be fine. Anyone having a hyperbolic reaction to this film's mere existence needs to grow up.

Booda 04-03-2019 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MavenACTG (Post 2534569)
It'll be fine. Anyone having a hyperbolic reaction to this film's mere existence needs to grow up.

That's right shithead. No one can have an opinion on this subject unless it coincides with yours. :rolleyes:

Mad Max RW 04-03-2019 01:19 PM

Gotham looks like 1970s NYC. To me that’s the only interesting part of the trailer.

Chief Smash 04-03-2019 01:25 PM

I don't know. The movie might be good but the trailer doesn't do anything for me. A big part of why the Dark Knight Joker worked for me was because he was so unexplained. He was almost supernatural in a sense and I loved that. The trailer looks like they're going to explain away this joker as a man who just got pushed too far. They can make that good but it's a red flag to me.

Ghostblaze 04-03-2019 04:47 PM

This has the Killing Joke Joker origins vibe. I'll be watching this.

MechaDangerous 04-03-2019 05:38 PM

I am honestly conflicted here. When I heard they were making this movie I immediately thought it'd be horrible, and I couldn't imagine Joaquin Phoenix doing this. Putting an origin to Joker just seemed wrong (didn't he never really have an established origin?).

Now, though, I see this trailer, and I've watched it a good 3 or 4 times now, and I'm quite interested in seeing how this goes. This looks much better than I would have thought it could be.

SpectralThundr 04-03-2019 06:04 PM

This looks terrible don't fool yourselves.

Evil Avatar 04-03-2019 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MechaDangerous (Post 2534605)
I am honestly conflicted here. When I heard they were making this movie I immediately thought it'd be horrible, and I couldn't imagine Joaquin Phoenix doing this. Putting an origin to Joker just seemed wrong (didn't he never really have an established origin?).

Now, though, I see this trailer, and I've watched it a good 3 or 4 times now, and I'm quite interested in seeing how this goes. This looks much better than I would have thought it could be.

Until Killing Joke the Joker didn't have an origin story and in Killing Joke they established that he himself doesn't really remember his origin correctly.

The comics have kinda played it that way since Killing Joke, that no one including the Joker knows his origin or his real name.

There was an issue of Justice League a few years back where Batman learns the Joker's real name, but I don't remember how that turned out.

Booda 04-03-2019 06:21 PM

Worth a read.

Skunk 04-03-2019 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Booda (Post 2534609)

Ya, he says this:

But this trailer makes it clear that we’re gonna have to watch Phoenix’s Arthur Fleck get bullied and traumatized until he snaps, likely past an hour into the running time, before he finally does some of the cool crime shit we paid to see.

...and it's 100% what I was thinking. Movie looks great, generally, as a movie. But I wanna see bad guy be bad, not an hour of why he is bad.

Evil Avatar 04-03-2019 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skunk (Post 2534618)
Ya, he says this:

But this trailer makes it clear that we’re gonna have to watch Phoenix’s Arthur Fleck get bullied and traumatized until he snaps, likely past an hour into the running time, before he finally does some of the cool crime shit we paid to see.

...and it's 100% what I was thinking. Movie looks great, generally, as a movie. But I wanna see bad guy be bad, not an hour of why he is bad.

I totally agree with that part of the article. You know that's exactly what is going to happen, they will waste most of the movie on the setup and we will only get about 10% of the Joker that we want to see and they really have no choice... because it's not a Batman film.

Without Batman (or some other "Hero") what do you have left? A bunch of pointless back-story that the character doesn't really need.

Now, it doesn't bother me that they are doing a pointless backstory movie, because I take the Killing Joke & Dark Knight attitude that what we are seeing is only one version of the Joker's history, but I do think there will be way too much buildup and not enough of the Joker killing off an audience full of people with SMILE gas.

SpectralThundr 04-03-2019 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skunk (Post 2534618)
Ya, he says this:

Same which is why I said it looks terrible because that's exactly what's going on here.

Booda 04-03-2019 10:59 PM

Quote:

Falling Down but with a clown...
Nailed it.

Mozgus 04-03-2019 11:58 PM

I went from "This will be a joke" to "This will be a cheap seats flick", so good for them, I guess.

Inkabodcrane 04-04-2019 01:56 AM

Looks interesting, but this trailer didn't fully sell it to me. Since this is a "teaser" trailer, I expect the first full trailer to be better. I've never liked Phoenix (the actor) all that much, aside from U-Turn and Gladiator. But, he is odd enough that he *might* be a great Joker. We'll see.

I'll watch it regardless because I have AMC's Moviepass, but hopefully it'll be good. The director has only made wacky comedies, which also put an interesting twist to it.