Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Pure Evil - DC's Captain Marvel (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259815)

Evil Avatar 04-05-2019 02:51 PM

Pure Evil - DC's Captain Marvel
 

Back from DC's Captain Marvel movie, ie Shazam!, it isn't the savior of the DC cinematic universe, no matter what the online critics may be telling you.

If you have even a passing interest in comic books, you have probably heard of DC's Captain Marvel, renamed by DC as Shazam! following a mild mannered copyright dispute with Marvel Comics. He's Billy Batson, the boy who becomes a super hero by saying the Magic Word "Shazam", becoming the "Earth's Mightiest Mortal".

If you know that much, you can probably skip the movie because that's about 80% of the movie, with 10% of Tom Hanks Big (and not the good 10%), with a final 10% of what Deadpool would call the "Big CGI Battle".

This is a movie for little kids, which was hilarious to see on a Friday afternoon where other than my daughter, I was the youngest person in the audience.

It isn't a terrible movie, it's just average. Which is really where it pretty closely mirrors the Marvel Captain Marvel movie. It exists and I've seen it, but it has no real reason to exist.

If they were smart, they should have skipped the 90% of the origin story, summed that up in about 15 minutes at the beginning (can you say 80's montage?) and then done the other 2 hours showing us something interesting with an interesting villain. The villain in the movie is some generic guy in a suit and a bunch of CGI monsters. Not kidding.

If you do go see it, stay for the mid-credits scene, because it's the only interesting bit in the whole movie. That is the character he should have been fighting all along.

DC still needs to figure out a way to win audiences. They don't want to do "Dark", which makes sense for Superman and Wonder Woman, but doesn't really work for Batman. Where does a 6-year-old friendly Shazam character fit into that formula? Sadly, nowhere.

Inkabodcrane 04-05-2019 04:25 PM

That's too bad you didn't like it. I won't be seeing it until Monday, but am looking forward to it. All of the trailers have sold me on the film's premise. I don't mind seeing the origin story for this character, since it's his first time on film and he's way different than any other character in that he's a kid. Also Zach Levi looks fun and I've heard all over the place that it's so funny you miss dialog because people are laughing so much.


Anyways, we'll see.

Terran 04-05-2019 04:29 PM

I find myself wondering when the comic film bubble will burst. I'm tiring of it and beginning to skip them when I used to see most of them. I think Endgame is the last one for me for a while. Played out genre. Time for something new.

vallor 04-05-2019 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran (Post 2534802)
I find myself wondering when the comic film bubble will burst. I'm tiring of it and beginning to skip them when I used to see most of them. I think Endgame is the last one for me for a while. Played out genre. Time for something new.

I like the look of Joker but I agree. Endgame is probably the last I am going to make any effort to see unless something sooperdooper shows up.

Syloney 04-05-2019 05:46 PM

If I were to guess the mid-credits scene, I'd say a mild glimpse at his counterpart rival Black Adam. Man of Steel would be a big stretch but not impossible if anyone has followed some comic series.

MavenACTG 04-05-2019 06:02 PM

I keep going back and forth on whether to see Shazam. I appreciate they made it but the premise is goofy even by comic book standards. Probably the best thing to happen to Shazam is Superman killing him in Injustice.

I just think DC movies, being less grounded, have a more difficult time connecting with general audiences. It might explain why Wonder Woman (which was essentially a WWII movie with superheroes and patterned off Captain America) was the best received DC film.

LostToys 04-05-2019 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2534789)
They don't want to do "Dark", which makes sense for Superman and Wonder Woman, but doesn't really work for Batman.

Superman and Batman should be reversed in this statement. It is the whole reason why people shat all over Man of Steel when it was released.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran (Post 2534802)
I find myself wondering when the comic film bubble will burst.

If you are Marvel, probably, never. Look at how strong Captain Marvel has been despite it being objectively a mediocre movie whose only saving grace is that it includes a new character that will be important in End Game.

Warner Brothers (DC), Sony (Spider-Man) and Fox (X-Men, Fantastic Four), on the other hand, have a much harder time getting people in the seats because of years of bad movies and branding. People will see anything Marvel Studios produces, while they are still very wary of everything else. I have a feeling that Spider-Man would likely have done worse if it was not marketed as being more of a Marvel rather than Sony film. So Sony was able to bank on it being a part of the MCU and bring in more butts in seats than if they just rebooted the franchise for the third time.

Evil Avatar 04-05-2019 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostToys (Post 2534828)
Superman and Batman should be reversed in this statement. It is the whole reason why people shat all over Man of Steel when it was released.

HaHa. You are right. It sounds like I got that one backwards. What I mean is that DC doesn't want to do Dark for Superman and Wonder Woman, which totally makes sense, but Dark is what they should be doing with Batman.

Instead they are going the other direction and trying to "Marvel" up their characters. The Wonder Woman movie takes place in the 80's. You know that means a shift to a more comedic tone.

I think DC should be the Darker more serious of the movie series. The exceptions should be Superman and even in Superman movies, the villain should be someone serious, not a cartoon character like Thanos.

wunshot 04-05-2019 08:47 PM

I thought it was hilarious...it was also dark AF. Waaaay too dark for most of the sub-10 yo's that were in the theater.

DingBat 04-05-2019 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran (Post 2534802)
I find myself wondering when the comic film bubble will burst. I'm tiring of it and beginning to skip them when I used to see most of them. I think Endgame is the last one for me for a while. Played out genre. Time for something new.

I'll be first in line for Dr. Strange 2 and the new Spider-man, but after that...i have no idea who the Eternals are.

So, basically, I'll probably be ramping down as well.

MavenACTG 04-06-2019 06:39 AM

Something no one has considered is what happens when Marvel Studios exhausts its properties. There's nothing saying they can't make films for other studios or intellectual properties to become a contemporary LucasFilm.

Marvel Studios is going to be around and knocking out hits for decades to come until someone like Feige leaves. That doesn't mean they will be Marvel properties.

Chief Smash 04-06-2019 07:34 AM

As long as the movies are truly fun, I'll keep going. But for now, End Game is the only one I'm really looking forward to. If they made another stand alone RDJ Iron Man (doubtful) or Dr. Strange, I'd definitely be in. If they made a new Hulk without Ruffalo, I'd be thrilled. But haven't they said that End Game basically marks the end of this era of Marvel movies and that they're mostly moving on to other heroes afterwards?

GinRummy 04-06-2019 07:57 AM

My mom STILL holds it over my head that I dragged her to see Doc Savage: Man of Bronze back when I was just a kid. I liked it then, but after seeing it as an adult again I can feel her pain. That movie was just SOOOO bad. Yeah, some like it as camp, but it's still painful to watch. Surprised there's not talk about rebooting him now that the market is open to that.

karaliusbronius 04-06-2019 09:04 AM

Movie was good, nice change from Marvel. But is he more or less powerful than Superman?

Emabulator 04-06-2019 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2534789)
If you know that much, you can probably skip the movie because that's about 80% of the movie, with 10% of Tom Hanks Big (and not the good 10%), with a final 10% of what Deadpool would call the "Big CGI Battle".

That's all I needed to hear. I'll see it when it's streaming on something I'm already paying for.

excalibur1814 04-06-2019 11:22 AM

Shazam, to me:

If I can, I’d like to start by stating that Chuck was a great show and, thankfully, Zachary Levi is simply perfect for this role. A 14 year old, that gains super powers after saying Shazam, with all the complications that shortly follow.

I don’t know that much about the character, as I’ve always found Shazam to be a grade B superhero, but a complex character, nonetheless. As far as I’m aware, giving a 14-year-old super powers and throwing them at super villains, ultimately, led to quiet a few heavy scenarios for Shazam in the comics.

Anyway, here’s the SPOILERS warning:

I did appreciate the bad guy being created first, even if this is still an origin story and, as usual, this film suffers from just that. We go to the cinema to escape, to experience something a bit different or epically larger than we are, so having a lot of the film as Billy Batson is annoying. Yes, you develop the character, yes you have to appreciate and connect to the situation, but I’ve seen that on many, many occasions. Spiderman has always also suffered from the same scenario.

A few scenes are a little dark, for a ‘lighter’ DC universe, but they fit. The scene with his Mother, later on, just felt out of place. The fights were acceptable, if basic and a bit flat, but at least a few things happened. The monsters were quite good but they don’t really do anything after the initial ‘horror’ scene (Would fit better in a Ghostbusters film).

Overall, I preferred all of the other DC films and would never watch Shazam again. I found it boring, with thankfully a few funny scenes to raise interest.

Positive:
Zachary as Shazam
Negative:
No Brie Larson. Darn.

Blog 04-07-2019 04:11 PM

I thought it was better than it had any right to be. Zachary Levi was great as SHAZAM. Between his posture and that costume, hot damn, he looked like an action figure in every single frame. The foster home relationships were set up nicely and the kids were believable. Mark Strong is always a win for me, and he was fun to watch here as an obsessed evil asshole.

The school bullies were so over the top as to be unbelievable, and the Seven Shitty CGI Sins were just awful. Not Steppenwolf levels of bad, but still terrible. Please DC, stop using CGI for your villains. You clearly haven't figured out how it works and you need to just let it go.

And yet, despite all its faults, it was still better than almost any other DC movie from the past 5 years. I'd watch it again.

brandonjclark 04-07-2019 07:24 PM

Took my boy to see it on Sat night. I thought it was a good movie.

Evil Avatar 04-07-2019 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karaliusbronius (Post 2534854)
Movie was good, nice change from Marvel. But is he more or less powerful than Superman?

Technically, he should be more powerful, and smarter, than Superman. He has the powers of 7 different gods and his powers are based on magic, where Superman gets his powers from the sun.

In the comics though, Superman usually wins these battles because DC has pretty much decided that Superman is top dog in most any battle.

Terran 04-07-2019 07:58 PM

Saw Shazam Saturday with my kids. Even knowing it was PG-13, it was scarier for a couple of my kids than I would have expected from the silly-ass trailers. The language was pretty ridiculous too for a comic film that isn't a Deadpool, lol. We all enjoyed it in the end, however. Definitely forgettable, but fun.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:39 PM.