Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Gearbox Holding Closed Beta for their Next Failure (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247516)

Evil Avatar 08-09-2017 09:40 AM

Gearbox Holding Closed Beta for their Next Failure

Quote:

Welcome to Project 1v1!

Project 1v1 is the code name for Gearbox's top-secret, in-development, competitive first-person shooter that combines the action of fast-paced 1v1 first-person combat with the metagame strategy of a collectible card game.

Project 1v1 will be holding a short Closed Technical Test this summer. We are looking for a limited number of players to test the online infrastructure and learn what players like you think about the game in order to inform and influence future development. The test will be held on North American servers, so international players may experience decreased performance.
www.project1v1.com

You might think they learned their lesson after Battleborn to stay away from pay-to-win games.

EL CABONG 08-09-2017 10:38 AM

1st person shooter & CCG seems like a strange pairing.

Chimpbot 08-09-2017 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2490076)
You might think they learned their lesson after Battleborn to stay away from pay-to-win games.

None of the microtransactions in that game affect the actual game. It's all cosmetic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EL CABONG (Post 2490086)

Well, at least it's something new.

davidj.dk 08-09-2017 11:38 AM

hah

Nobody gives a shit about Gearbox or Randy Pitchford. Gearbox should be put in the ground forever.

Evil Avatar 08-09-2017 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2490093)
None of the microtransactions in that game affect the actual game. It's all cosmetic.

Well, at least it's something new.

My point was that their last pay-to-win title flopped hard and it seems silly for them to be chasing after that same we'll a second time. Blizzard has changed the way people think about micro transactions and other companies like Epic and Gearbox that are still going after straight cash are destined for failure.

Battleborn flopped, Paragon flopped and even Fortnite seems to be struggling.

This just reeks of more failure.

Blog 08-09-2017 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EL CABONG (Post 2490086)

Didn't the first Titanfall have some sort of weird CCG gearing mechanic?

warwon 08-09-2017 12:09 PM

I sure trust this company, after homeworld patch took what 2 years to fix the formations.

Alien game was amazing right?

Also battleborn so good.

RIGHT.... I'll be over here with my Amiga 600

EL CABONG 08-09-2017 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blog (Post 2490105)
Didn't the first Titanfall have some sort of weird CCG gearing mechanic?

I forgot about that. It's been a while but I think that was a relatively minor part of the game.

ministryofwrath 08-09-2017 12:59 PM

you go back and crate a Aliens game rather than outsource, and your children won't have to look back in history and see the fantastic fiction you abused and lied about while saying you loved it.

shame, shame shame.

Chimpbot 08-09-2017 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2490104)
My point was that their last pay-to-win title flopped hard and it seems silly for them to be chasing after that same we'll a second time.

Right...but, it wasn't a pay-to-win title. It has microtransactions for cosmetic stuff only. It doesn't affect the gameplay at all.

Quote:

Blizzard has changed the way people think about micro transactions and other companies like Epic and Gearbox that are still going after straight cash are destined for failure.

Battleborn flopped, Paragon flopped and even Fortnite seems to be struggling.

This just reeks of more failure.
They really didn't change much; they're using loot boxes and they weren't even the first to do it. It's still all just cosmetic stuff, at any rate.

4205Joe 08-09-2017 01:02 PM

Quote:

...with the metagame strategy of a collectible card game.
So another random loot generation system where there's a lot of junk and the good stuff will be ultra-rare and really expensive but it doesn't matter because everybody will be using the same things anyway.

Hard pass.

Mad Max RW 08-09-2017 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidj.dk (Post 2490100)
hah

Nobody gives a shit about Gearbox or Randy Pitchford. Gearbox should be put in the ground forever.

You may get your wish sooner rather than later.

Mojopin 08-09-2017 02:05 PM

SAVAGE! :p

Emabulator 08-09-2017 03:25 PM

List of Gearbox Software's games.
  • 1999 Half-Life: Opposing Force
  • 2001 Half-Life: Blue Shift
  • 2001 Half-Life
  • 2001 Half-Life: Decay
  • 2002 Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
  • 2002 James Bond 007: Nightfire
  • 2003 Halo: Combat Evolved (port)
  • 2004 Counter-Strike: Condition Zero
  • 2005 Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30
  • 2005 Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood
  • 2006 Brothers in Arms: D-Day
  • 2007 Brothers in Arms DS
  • 2008 Samba de Amigo
  • 2008 Brothers in Arms: Double Time
  • 2008 Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway
  • 2009 Borderlands
  • 2011 Duke Nukem Forever
  • 2011 Aliens: Infestation
  • 2012 Borderlands 2
  • 2012 Borderlands Legends
  • 2013 Aliens: Colonial Marines
  • 2014 Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel!
  • 2015 Borderlands: The Handsome Collection
  • 2015 Homeworld Remastered Collection
  • 2016 Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak
  • 2016 Battleborn
  • 2016 Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour
  • 2017 Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition
  • TBA Untitled Brothers In Arms video game
  • TBA Untitled Duke Nukem video game
  • TBA Untitled Borderlands video game

Wizzkidd 08-10-2017 02:40 AM

I got an invite to this beta or alpha or whatever, but I couldn't care less. Ever since Randy Pitchford stood right in front of me at PAX and talked about how great and atmospheric Aliens: Colonial Marines would be, and how he got secret information from Ridley Scott about the Alien lore, and then the game was a giant POS and he blamed it on the outsourced company who HE hired to make it, I can't stand the guy.

Borderlands 1 & 2 and a couple Brothers in Arms were pretty good back in the day, but screw him; Gearbox is forever on my shit list until they somehow right the Aliens wrong.

Rommel 08-10-2017 10:28 AM

Everytime I see the company's name, I remember how amazing was Opposing Force. Then I remember everything since 2011...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wizzkidd (Post 2490160)
I got an invite to this beta or alpha or whatever, but I couldn't care less. Ever since Randy Pitchford stood right in front of me at PAX and talked about how great and atmospheric Aliens: Colonial Marines would be, and how he got secret information from Ridley Scott about the Alien lore, and then the game was a giant POS and he blamed it on the outsourced company who HE hired to make it, I can't stand the guy.

Specifically, that.

davidj.dk 08-10-2017 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max RW (Post 2490126)
You may get your wish sooner rather than later.

One can only hope - that guy needs to be taken down a few notches