Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Enter The Oasis in the New Ready Player One Trailer (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250336)

Evil Avatar 12-10-2017 12:58 PM

Enter The Oasis in the New Ready Player One Trailer

BytorUK 12-10-2017 03:12 PM

Absolutely loved the book and also Armada . Hope the movie does the book justice !

Blog 12-10-2017 05:29 PM

This might be fun, but it looks like it's taking a major dump on the book.

Evil Avatar 12-10-2017 07:05 PM

Is there an actual movie here or just a string of pop culture references?

IGXGamingTV 12-10-2017 07:56 PM

Looks like trash. I'd rather just read the book, honestly. Saw the trailer during Justice League, which isn't bad by the way. Not sure why it is getting so much hate.

vallor 12-10-2017 08:11 PM

Looking forward to seeing this movie.

Metal Jesus 12-10-2017 09:38 PM

I love the book...

But I have a sinking feeling this is going to bomb hard. Too much cheesy CGI for the average movie goer. Anybody remember the World of Warcraft movie?! ...Exactly...

JazGalaxy 12-10-2017 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2501063)

I hope this film is the death of crossovers and references.

Azzy 12-10-2017 11:16 PM

Holy fucking royalties and not the pointless rich people kind. I don't care enough to do any research on who owns what and what owns what owns that what, but jesus.
I think by that point though there would be so very, very few actual people using a 1:1 avatar for anything that it almost breaks my suspension of disbelief.
Tad Williams wrote a series of books, Otherland I think it was called, and in the first one he creates a futuristic internet like this Oasis but his descriptions of people's avatars I think kind of nail it. Everything from swirling clouds of sparks to flexed blue arms and not just a bunch of Daffy fucking Ducks running around looking exactly like Daffy fucking Duck.
That said, I think the book was a quick and simple bit of fun, though I thought the puzzle itself (not really a spoiler alert but..) was a little trite in it's Arthurian specificity (though it seems to be the opposite).

Evil Avatar 12-10-2017 11:49 PM

I kind of agree that this movie might not do that well. The CGI is pretty bad across the board. As much as I think the wonky eyes in Alita will throw people out of enjoying the film, at least the CGI is REALLY REALLy well done.

Same with Planet of the Apes, the CGI on the Apes themselves is excellent.

This stuff looks like a big leap backwards in quality.

Spielberg himself hasn’t made a decent film in decades so I was always a little hesitant about him being director. I think this will be fun to watch and point at the hundreds of characters from movies & games, but will end up being a pretty average movie overall.

I also suspect that what we are seeing here will end up being about 90% of the animation. You watch, the bulk of the movie will take place in the “real world” with him running from and being shot at by real world goons instead of all taking place inside The Oasis like is the book.

Scherge 12-11-2017 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azzy (Post 2501084)
I think by that point though there would be so very, very few actual people using a 1:1 avatar for anything that it almost breaks my suspension of disbelief.

Do you really believe that?

http://cad-comic.com/wp-content/uplo...0521-f5ea1.jpg

karaliusbronius 12-11-2017 04:20 AM

Book was awesome, this looks like too much CGI garbage. Don't they understand that Star Wars went back to actually building props and locations because people don't like too much CGI.

Cranium 12-11-2017 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2501085)
Spielberg himself hasnít made a decent film in decades

What do you mean? Hugo was great! Oh, wait a minute...

I'm more positive to this than the average post on here but quite ready to be disappointed. Haven't read the novel, but seems like Snow Crash territory.

BenSkywlkr 12-11-2017 05:50 AM

Quote:

This stuff looks like a big leap backwards in quality.
I actually thought of it from a different angle- the CGI might come across as a little too good for Oasis. Given that it is supposed to be inside a video game, making it appear perfect would kind of put you on the other side of the uncanny valley and would likely interfere with people's instinctive understanding of if it's inside the Oasis or out.

Looking at it from your angle I get what you are saying, but I thought it was far enough on the other side of the uncanny valley to work IMO.

Quote:

Anybody remember the World of Warcraft movie?!
That movie required so much pre existing knowledge to follow it was absurd. Went with my best friend to see that, both of us long time hard core Warcraft and WoW players and we had to look shit up after the movie that we didn't get. The problem wasn't the CGI, which worked fine, but an utterly gawdawful movie that happened to use CGI.

Quote:

Everything from swirling clouds of sparks to flexed blue arms and not just a bunch of Daffy fucking Ducks running around looking exactly like Daffy fucking Duck.
I had assumed those were all NPCs.....?

BeardedSonOfNel 12-11-2017 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azzy (Post 2501084)
Holy fucking royalties and not the pointless rich people kind. I don't care enough to do any research on who owns what and what owns what owns that what, but jesus.
Tad Williams wrote a series of books, Otherland I think it was called, and in the first one he creates a futuristic internet like this Oasis but his descriptions of people's avatars I think kind of nail it. Everything from swirling clouds of sparks to flexed blue arms and not just a bunch of Daffy fucking Ducks running around looking exactly like Daffy fucking Duck.
That said, I think the book was a quick and simple bit of fun, though I thought the puzzle itself (not really a spoiler alert but..) was a little trite in it's Arthurian specificity (though it seems to be the opposite).

Otherland was a great set of books! I'd love to see a TV show made by HBO, Showtime, or Netflix.

GinRummy 12-11-2017 08:58 AM

I think it looks fine. It seems like the theory is that since it's VR, it's SUPPOSED to look a little plastic, otherwise how could you tell it from the real. If you can't jump the "uncanny valley" then it's best to be a bit fakey.

Mad Max RW 12-11-2017 09:15 AM

Looks like they are aiming for the Transformers crowd. Might be worth a rental. No way will I risk sitting in a theater for it. Trailer looks great on my new tv.

Terran 12-11-2017 11:04 AM

Hollyweird keeps churning out financial failures. Here comes another one!

walstib 12-11-2017 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2501063)

that's pretty much the book. it has a straightforward plot - should be easy to translate to the screen.

loved the book - can read it in a day; brought back a lot of memories from the 80's. kind of like watching stranger things (initially)

Sensei-X 12-11-2017 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karaliusbronius (Post 2501095)
Book was awesome, this looks like too much CGI garbage. Don't they understand that Star Wars went back to actually building props and locations because people don't like too much CGI.

Yes of course it was the CGI, not the garbage movies that used said CGI, lol. :D