Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Nintendo Hires Retro Studios to Save Metroid Prime 4 (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258359)

Evil Avatar 01-25-2019 07:33 AM

Nintendo Hires Retro Studios to Save Metroid Prime 4

Quote:

Nintendo is bringing in Retro Studios to work with “Metro Prime 4’s” producer and start over on game development, Nintendo announced Friday morning.

The news comes about a year and a half after Nintendo announced that the game was in development for the Nintendo Switch internally. Producer Kensuke Tanabe previously worked on a slew of Nintendo titles including “Metroid Prime: Federation Force,” “Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze,” and “Metroid Prime 3: Corruption.”

“We have decided to reexamine the development structure itself and change it,” Shinya Takahashi said in a rare video from Nintendo on Youtube Friday morning. “Specifically, we have decided to have the producer, Kensuke Tanabe, work in trust and collaboration with the studio that developed the original Metroid Prime series, Retro Studios in the United States and restart development from the beginning.”

The decision came after Nintendo decided that the current development progress had not “reached the standards we seek in a sequel to the Metroid Prime series.”

“Nintendo always strives for the highest quality in our games; and in the development phase, we challenge ourselves and confront whether the game is living up to that quality on a daily basis. If we’re not satisfied with the quality we aren’t able to deliver it to our customers with confidence and the game will not live up to our fans’ expectations,” Takahashi said. “From this perspective, we have determined that the current development status of the game is very challenged, and we had to make a difficult decision as a development team.”
Variety.

Evil Avatar 01-25-2019 07:33 AM

SpectralThundr 01-25-2019 08:25 AM

lofuckingloud.

Aerol901 01-25-2019 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralThundr (Post 2529234)
lofuckingloud.

Hahahahahahhahah :D

brandonjclark 01-25-2019 09:23 AM

Translation: It was shaping to be something that only Japanese players MIGHT like.

EL CABONG 01-25-2019 01:31 PM

It is probably good that N isn't putting out a turd.
How bad was this game? N put out that DS metroid game that was not exactly well received. So it isn't to far of a leap to think whatever the game getting canned was gonna be was probably worse.

Just make a 2D Metrodvaina game and Rouge-lite/new game plus the F out of it. Charge 40 bucks and print money.
Think spelunky with a budget but staring sammus. Your welcome Nintendo.

PatrickRes9 01-25-2019 01:47 PM

I'm actually pretty glad for this. Metroid might be my favorite Nintendo series of all time. If it's not a total masterpiece, scrap it, and grab your best developers and get it done. Take whatever time is required. I can wait.

And honestly, on a side note, I appreciate the candid and direct update, rather than NO update directly from Nintendo - just whispers and rumors of struggling development. Great video.

Chief Smash 01-25-2019 02:37 PM

We'll see how it goes. I couldn't get into Prime 3. It had some really stupid dialog in the logs that were left around for you to read. However Prime 1 is one of my favorite games ever. Hopefully 4 leans on what was done in 1 more. I also really enjoyed Samus Returns on the DS. I know it was a remake but it was a damn good one. And I don't mind the wait. It's not like I'm swimming in time with no games to play.

zeonxavier 01-25-2019 02:50 PM

Metroid needs to be good. I purchased Metroid Prime and the Gamecube together as soon as the game came out. I was not disappointed.

Keep the quality up, Nintendo. You may sell me a Switch if this game merits it.

drakkarim 01-25-2019 03:34 PM

i want an update of the original, 100 times bigger!

Terran 01-25-2019 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drakkarim (Post 2529267)
i want an update of the original, 100 times bigger!

That's what your wife said to Mario! Or...was it Luigi? Or both! ;)

Phoenix1985 01-25-2019 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 (Post 2529259)
I'm actually pretty glad for this. Metroid might be my favorite Nintendo series of all time. If it's not a total masterpiece, scrap it, and grab your best developers and get it done. Take whatever time is required. I can wait.

And honestly, on a side note, I appreciate the candid and direct update, rather than NO update directly from Nintendo - just whispers and rumors of struggling development. Great video.

Same. We've waited this long, we can wait a bit more for the original creators to put out a quality product.

Mozgus 01-25-2019 11:40 PM

Seeing a lot of hate over this. I dont get it. Nintendo is one of the few companies left that have no issue with scrapping a turd and starting from scratch. Most other devs just ship that turd with double the marketing to compensate.

PatrickRes9 01-26-2019 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mozgus (Post 2529286)
Seeing a lot of hate over this. I dont get it. Nintendo is one of the few companies left that have no issue with scrapping a turd and starting from scratch. Most other devs just ship that turd with double the marketing to compensate.

Exactly. If it isn't going to live up to the original Metroid Prime - kill it. Make it a masterpiece. Anything less won't do the franchise justice. I'm glad they were candid about it, and I'm glad they're giving it back to Retro. I'll wait another 2 years. I have enough backlog to last me that long anyway. What I expect when the game finally drops is a game worthy of the title. One of the best games of all time. Prime 1 was. So it'd better stand toe to toe with the original. I think Nintendo understands that it has to. I like this move. It's certainly better than dragging the series through the mud.

blackzc 01-26-2019 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralThundr (Post 2529234)
lofuckingloud.

GTFO.

I saw this update on my Switch yesterday.

Namco must have goofed it up. Bad news.
Now Retro is going to it. Good news!

Prime 1 is a top 10 game for me.

LostToys 01-26-2019 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mozgus (Post 2529286)
Seeing a lot of hate over this. I dont get it.

Some people bought their Switches thinking that they would be playing a new Metroid by 2019/2020. This news definitely pushes this notion out to late-2020 and later. So they feel a bit robbed that Nintendo bothered to announce the game and it clearly was in no state to be announced.

For others, it shows a clear lack of direction, as the game was initially announced in 2017, and they are only now talking about the delay due to a complete re-write of the game.

For most, it is just annoying knowing that the game is not coming out anytime soon. As gamers, we want to play the latest and greatest now, not later, so any delay, particularly ones where you are admitting that you have to go back to the drawing board, are major roadblocks to getting the next big hit.

Terran 01-26-2019 07:50 AM

Buying a Switch is like buying a Gillette razor. Garbage virtue signaling and waves of overpriced future blades. :D

shadow763 01-28-2019 08:08 AM

I am guessing you won't see this game until 2022.

PatrickRes9 01-28-2019 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow763 (Post 2529356)
I am guessing you won't see this game until 2022.

As a massive Metroid fan, for me it's better than seeing letdown garbage in 2019.

I'll wait however long I have to. However, that said, if the game is less than a masterpiece, I will be disappointed and it'll actually erode a fair amount of faith in Nintendo. Nintendo has done great with their flagship IPs, but I've noticed they've been phoning in a lot of their "B level" IP lately. Mario Party, Mario Tennis (twice), Star Fox Zero, that stupid Animal Crossing board game spinoff on the Wii-U, Kirby, and on and on. If they phone in Metroid, especially after a delay, I'll be pretty put off by the company. Maybe enough to walk away.

The mainline Animal Crossing, Metroid, and coming Pokemon game need to be great. Nintendo consoles ARE their IP, and I need good reasons to shill for the hardware.

SpectralThundr 01-28-2019 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 (Post 2529371)
As a massive Metroid fan, for me it's better than seeing letdown garbage in 2019.

I'll wait however long I have to. However, that said, if the game is less than a masterpiece, I will be disappointed and it'll actually erode a fair amount of faith in Nintendo. Nintendo has done great with their flagship IPs, but I've noticed they've been phoning in a lot of their "B level" IP lately. Mario Party, Mario Tennis (twice), Star Fox Zero, that stupid Animal Crossing board game spinoff on the Wii-U, Kirby, and on and on. If they phone in Metroid, especially after a delay, I'll be pretty put off by the company. Maybe enough to walk away.

The mainline Animal Crossing, Metroid, and coming Pokemon game need to be great. Nintendo consoles ARE their IP, and I need good reasons to shill for the hardware.

You called that visuals dumpster wreck Zelda a masterpiece too though, Nintendo's been phoning it in on their hardware too since the switch is an underpowered pos.