Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Resident Evil 2 Adds 'The Ghost Survivors' Mode on February 15th (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258419)

Evil Avatar 01-29-2019 07:50 AM

Resident Evil 2 Adds 'The Ghost Survivors' Mode on February 15th
 

Quote:

The Ghost Survivors is coming as a free update to #RE2 starting February 15th!

Explore “what if” stories of three unfortunate souls who never made it out of Raccoon City: The gunshop owner, the mayor's daughter, the soldier.

▶ No Time to Mourn
▶ Runaway
▶ Forgotten Soldier
Resident Evil 2 on Twitter.

shadow763 01-29-2019 08:20 AM

This could be pretty cool. Three short stories.

Chimpbot 01-29-2019 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow763 (Post 2529456)
This could be pretty cool. Three short stories.

Certainly can't beat the price, either.

The first few Resident Evil games are perfect for side stories like this. With what was happening within Raccoon City during the events of RE1, 2, and 3, it leaves plenty of room for interesting stories that don't focus on RE mainstays like the Redfields or Leon.

Scherge 01-29-2019 09:15 AM

Makes you wonder why they couldn't include this part of the game in the disc release. When it was announced before release, I thought it was some sort of "Mercenaries" or multiplayer mode, but this sounds like some singleplayer content that most retail customers would want included on the disc, especially so soon after release...

AlfredT 01-29-2019 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scherge (Post 2529469)
Makes you wonder why they couldn't include this part of the game in the disc release. When it was announced before release, I thought it was some sort of "Mercenaries" or multiplayer mode, but this sounds like some singleplayer content that most retail customers would want included on the disc, especially so soon after release...

Maybe it was buggy and needed to be fleshed out.. or more cynically, they held it back to garner good feelz and more incentive to buy the game post release :)

Chimpbot 01-29-2019 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scherge (Post 2529469)
Makes you wonder why they couldn't include this part of the game in the disc release. When it was announced before release, I thought it was some sort of "Mercenaries" or multiplayer mode, but this sounds like some singleplayer content that most retail customers would want included on the disc, especially so soon after release...

They likely started developing this add-on well after the main game was deep into development. Hell, they didn't even announce it until January 22nd, three whole days before the game was released. Since it's free, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume work didn't start on this until it would have been too late to include it on disc or in the main download.

Scherge 01-30-2019 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2529494)
They likely started developing this add-on well after the main game was deep into development. Hell, they didn't even announce it until January 22nd, three whole days before the game was released. Since it's free, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume work didn't start on this until it would have been too late to include it on disc or in the main download.

You mean, because they're Capcom? :rolleyes:

I kid, I kid, but as an old-school collector, these practices really irk me. It wouldn't be quite as bad if it was some tacked-on multiplayer mode, but from the description, it sounds like classic singleplayer content that I might like to play again in ten years, after buying my brand-new, backwards-compatible PS6 with external Blu-ray XD drive. Seeing how Sony kicks stuff from the PlayStation Store that I have to dig out of my download list (happened to me just recently with "Ridge Racer Type 4"), I'd prefer a fully disc-based option, especially for full-price games...

Juan 01-30-2019 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scherge (Post 2529469)
Makes you wonder why they couldn't include this part of the game in the disc release. When it was announced before release, I thought it was some sort of "Mercenaries" or multiplayer mode, but this sounds like some singleplayer content that most retail customers would want included on the disc, especially so soon after release...

They've clearly kept various things back to give away for free in order to hype the game and improve Capcom's reputation. It's a good strategy.

The game is amazing and the free content is very welcome. Capcom feel like they've reestablished themselves lately as one of the very best devs around.

Chimpbot 01-30-2019 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scherge (Post 2529538)
You mean, because they're Capcom? :rolleyes:

I'd actually be more apt to criticize a company like Capcom, due to their old DLC practices of having the DLC actually be available on the disc; the "DLC" you purchased was ultimately just a key to unlock content that was already on the disc you bought.

Quote:

I kid, I kid, but as an old-school collector, these practices really irk me. It wouldn't be quite as bad if it was some tacked-on multiplayer mode, but from the description, it sounds like classic singleplayer content that I might like to play again in ten years, after buying my brand-new, backwards-compatible PS6 with external Blu-ray XD drive. Seeing how Sony kicks stuff from the PlayStation Store that I have to dig out of my download list (happened to me just recently with "Ridge Racer Type 4"), I'd prefer a fully disc-based option, especially for full-price games...
I completely understand where you're coming from and largely agree with the sentiment. Given the current state of development and how DLC is scheduled and developed, I'd be willing to bet this stuff wouldn't have been ready to include on the disc for the release date.

Scherge 01-31-2019 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2529555)
I'd actually be more apt to criticize a company like Capcom, due to their old DLC practices of having the DLC actually be available on the disc; the "DLC" you purchased was ultimately just a key to unlock content that was already on the disc you bought.

Yeah, that was kinda my point, hence the smiley.

I'm working for a publisher, and I fully understand that games are rarely "ready" for release. Either the developers want to implement some amazing feature they dreamt up at the eleventh hour, or some brand manager strikes a brilliant deal with a particular store that requires an additional master, or the sales team switches around pre-order bonuses, or IT insists on using an experimental copy protection, or a new online store requires the addition/removal of features (like achievements on the Epic Store).

As a professional, I understand all that. As a customer, however, I divide my games into categories like "to play casually" and "to collect". A remake of a fan-favorite classic falls into the latter category, and I'd expect it to hold the definitive version of the game, forever (or at least until an "ultimate" edition is released).

Sorry about the rant. This is just a pet peeve of mine, especially for Collector's Editions that lose part of their (perceived and actual) value the moment you have to use up a DLC code...

Evil Avatar 01-31-2019 09:06 AM

My son has finished both the single player campaigns and is working on the Hard Mode now. He sure seems to be having a great time!

Juan 01-31-2019 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2529650)
My son has finished both the single player campaigns and is working on the Hard Mode now. He sure seems to be having a great time!

I tried starting on the hard mode and gave in and went with normal. It was tough and having to reload on death to the last ink ribbon you used reminded me how far game design has come in the past 20 years!

Chimpbot 01-31-2019 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juan (Post 2529660)
I tried starting on the hard mode and gave in and went with normal. It was tough and having to reload on death to the last ink ribbon you used reminded me how far game design has come in the past 20 years!

Once I saw that the hard mode was bringing back the old typewriter ribbons, I promptly decided that normal was the right fit for me.

I ain't got time to manage limited saves, anymore.

Orphiuchus 01-31-2019 05:19 PM

Man, I LOVED this game. I beat both A stories and claire's B story, did an S rank run to get the unlimited handgun. Enjoyed it hugely, and I can't wait for this DLC.

That said, hardcore is bullshit. Even with unlimited ammo nothing fucking goes down, and ink ribbons (so far) are too rare, I've had to start over completely 3 times. Also, in order to unlock the best few unlimited ammo weapons you have to S+ rank hardcore with no unlimited ammo weapons, which just doesn't sound fun. I would love to mess around with the rest of the unlimited weapons, but unlocking them doesn't sound fun.

Juan 02-01-2019 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orphiuchus (Post 2529695)
Man, I LOVED this game. I beat both A stories and claire's B story, did an S rank run to get the unlimited handgun. Enjoyed it hugely, and I can't wait for this DLC.

That said, hardcore is bullshit. Even with unlimited ammo nothing fucking goes down, and ink ribbons (so far) are too rare, I've had to start over completely 3 times. Also, in order to unlock the best few unlimited ammo weapons you have to S+ rank hardcore with no unlimited ammo weapons, which just doesn't sound fun. I would love to mess around with the rest of the unlimited weapons, but unlocking them doesn't sound fun.

Man that sounds like bullshit. Just the first police station section is really tough on hardcore, you simply can't engage the zombies as you don't have the ammo. I will tackle hardcore after normal but screw trying to get S ranks on it.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:25 PM.