Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Metro Exodus ditches Steam to become an Epic Games Store exclusive (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258420)

Evil Avatar 01-29-2019 07:59 AM

Metro Exodus ditches Steam to become an Epic Games Store exclusive

Quote:

Epic Games and Deep Silver Announce Partnership to Release Metro Exodus for PC on the Epic Games Store

Epic Games and Deep Silver today announced a partnership that will see the digitally-distributed PC version of the highly anticipated Metro Exodus release on February 15 2019 solely through the Epic Games store.

Players worldwide can now pre-purchase both Standard and Gold Editions at EpicGames.com, from $49.99 in North America and €59.99 in most European countries. All pre-orders include the Metro Exodus Original Soundtrack and ‘The World of Metro’ Digital Art Book.

“Metro Exodus is amazing and is deservedly one of the most anticipated PC titles of 2019,” said Tim Sweeney, founder and CEO of Epic. “We are partnering with Deep Silver to launch Metro Exodus, underpinned by Epic’s marketing support and commitment to offering an 88% revenue split, enabling game creators to further reinvest in building great games and improving the economics of game stores for everybody.”

“We are delighted to partner with Epic to bring the digital PC version of Metro Exodus to market,” said Dr. Klemens Kundratitz, CEO at Deep Silver. “Epic’s generous revenue terms are a game changer that will allow publishers to invest more into content creation, or pass on savings to the players. By teaming up with Epic we will be able to invest more into the future of Metro and our ongoing partnership with series developer 4A Games, to the benefit of our Metro fans.”

Any customer with an outstanding pre-order for Metro Exodus on PC through any digital retailer will receive their game as expected.

Metro Exodus is an epic, story-driven first-person shooter from 4A Games that blends deadly combat and stealth with exploration and survival horror in one of the most immersive game worlds ever created. Explore the Russian wilderness across vast, non-linear levels and follow a thrilling story-line that spans an entire year through spring, summer and autumn to the depths of nuclear winter. Inspired by the novels of Dmitry Glukhovsky, Metro Exodus continues Artyom’s story in the greatest Metro adventure yet.

Metro Exodus will be released on February 15 for Xbox One, the all-in-one games and entertainment system from Microsoft, the PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system, and PC.

In addition, Deep Silver will release Metro 2033 Redux and Metro: Last Light Redux to the Epic Games store later this year.

For more information, visit metrothegame.com.
Quote:

Notice: Later today, sales of Metro Exodus will be discontinued on Steam due to a publisher decision to make the game exclusive to another PC store.

The developer and publisher have assured us that all prior sales of the game on Steam will be fulfilled on Steam, and Steam owners will be able to access the game and any future updates or DLC through Steam.

We think the decision to remove the game is unfair to Steam customers, especially after a long pre-sale period. We apologize to Steam customers that were expecting it to be available for sale through the February 15th release date, but we were only recently informed of the decision and given limited time to let everyone know.
Steam Page.

Meusli 01-29-2019 08:03 AM

This is causing a bit of a ruckus on the Steam community and rightly so. Can't say I'm too impressed with distribution platform exclusives as they just cause markets to split, like they did with VR/Occulus. I think I will skip this release and see how it pans out, I would have liked all my Metro games in one place.

shadow763 01-29-2019 08:19 AM

Kind of odd to change this late in the game. But whatever I guess. The digital present and future is just more and more fractured.

Scherge 01-29-2019 09:21 AM

Apparently, Steam pre-orders spiked in the six hours between this announcement and midnight, when the pre-order page was closed. :cool:

vallor 01-29-2019 09:24 AM

As much as I am rooting for the Epic store to kick Steam in the nuts and make them do a better job (for devs and customers) this was handled very poorly.

After months and months of pre-orders it is unforgivable to retract the game from Steam at this late date.

DeadPixel 01-29-2019 10:02 AM

Not a good way to handle it at all. I own all the METRO games and this will be the first time I skip it.

Azrael 01-29-2019 10:28 AM

When i first saw the report i hoped onto Steam hoping to pick it up on Steam but it had already been pulled.

Gone from a instant buy and likely day off work to now questioning if i will purchase it.

I am so sick of the fracturing of my game library. As it is I had already boycotted all Origin games. *sigh*

PacerDawn 01-29-2019 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meusli (Post 2529453)
This is causing a bit of a ruckus on the Steam community and rightly so. Can't say I'm too impressed with distribution platform exclusives as they just cause markets to split, like they did with VR/Occulus. I think I will skip this release and see how it pans out, I would have liked all my Metro games in one place.

This has been the business model for consoles forever. Publishers don't care about splitting the markets, they just care about making that cash. And if they can't make cash by having a dominant platform, they do it with exclusives.

At least with PC games you don't have to shell out hundreds of dollars for new hardware and peripherals, you just have to install a new piece of software.

brandonjclark 01-29-2019 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PacerDawn (Post 2529480)
This has been the business model for consoles forever. Publishers don't care about splitting the markets, they just care about making that cash. And if they can't make cash by having a dominant platform, they do it with exclusives.

At least with PC games you don't have to shell out hundreds of dollars for new hardware and peripherals, you just have to install a new piece of software.

This. At least it's only another software client and not new hardware.

Also, it's free to install.

We're bound to see even more fracturing. Steam owned an unreasonable amount of the market.

MavenACTG 01-29-2019 11:14 AM

Competition kicks in. Valve should buy Epic like a good capitalist, but it may be too late.

AlfredT 01-29-2019 11:48 AM

Oh hey quick reminder, EGS has free games every 2 weeks. I think atm its the Jack in the Box Party (You don't know jack series of trivia/party games).

Oddmaker 01-29-2019 01:07 PM

Must be worth going from Steam to Epic, I wonder how much money was involved.

ElektroDragon 01-29-2019 01:39 PM

Goodbye Epic game sales, nice knowing you. Seriously, if Microsoft could not beat Steam with a MUCH MORE COMPELLING platform (Games for Windows Live) back in the day, Epic doesn't stand a chance. They never would have dreamed of this level of hubris had it not been for the Fortnite lunacy taking over.

Now every publisher will be thinking "how do we turn our game into a sheep magnet streaming phenomenon"? As their first design question... trumping gameplay or story considerations.

ElektroDragon 01-29-2019 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MavenACTG (Post 2529482)
Competition kicks in. Valve should buy Epic like a good capitalist, but it may be too late.

They should... they probably could. Given they have beatem them at their own game in some ways. Steam/Valve doesn't have any streaming sheep magnet games so are at risk for becoming completely irrelevant.

ElektroDragon 01-29-2019 01:42 PM

"Streaming sheep magnet" should be a genre.

SpectralThundr 01-29-2019 01:47 PM

Meh who cares, omg I have to start another client instead of steam! oh NOESSSS!! Fuck steam, their store front these days is an abomination of shitty indie games that makes finding any game worth buying a fucking chore and a half.

Terran 01-29-2019 02:50 PM

Do you expect all your TV shows on the same service/channel?

Do you expect all your favorite foods at one restaurant?

Do you expect all the stuff you buy to be available at one store?*

Be careful what you wish for, because monopolies usually play out badly for everyone but the owners of the monopoly.

tl;dr version: So what. Competition is good.

* Okay, that one fails...Amazon already just about does that.

SpectralThundr 01-29-2019 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElektroDragon (Post 2529503)
Goodbye Epic game sales, nice knowing you. Seriously, if Microsoft could not beat Steam with a MUCH MORE COMPELLING platform (Games for Windows Live) back in the day, Epic doesn't stand a chance. They never would have dreamed of this level of hubris had it not been for the Fortnite lunacy taking over.

Now every publisher will be thinking "how do we turn our game into a sheep magnet streaming phenomenon"? As their first design question... trumping gameplay or story considerations.

GFWL was a train wreck broken buggy pos.. Just saying.

Oddmaker 01-29-2019 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralThundr (Post 2529509)
Meh who cares, omg I have to start another client instead of steam! oh NOESSSS!! Fuck steam, their store front these days is an abomination of shitty indie games that makes finding any game worth buying a fucking chore and a half.

Yes you need to start a new client from Epic to purchase and download the game but after that you can start the game with out Epic's client as it's DRM free unlike Steam.

karaliusbronius 01-29-2019 04:49 PM

So when are these games going to be on Google Play store and Google allow us to install Google Play on our PCs? :)

Bluestacks is pretty good, not awesome, but pretty good.