Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New Joker Trailer has Dropped (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262435)

BeardedSonOfNel 08-28-2019 03:51 PM

New Joker Trailer has Dropped

Joaquin Phoenix plays the iconic villain in this upcoming movie headed to theaters on October 4, 2019.

BeardedSonOfNel 08-28-2019 03:53 PM

This looks really good. It's going to be a slow burn film, and I can't wait!

Terran 08-28-2019 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeardedSonOfNel (Post 2543259)
It's going to be a slow burn film

It sure looks like it, which could be amazing, to watch his slow descent into madness. I sure hope the trailer is accurately representing the film.

Looks great. High hopes here!

BeardedSonOfNel 08-28-2019 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran (Post 2543262)
It sure looks like it, which could be amazing, to watch his slow descent into madness. I sure hope the trailer is accurately representing the film.

Looks great. High hopes here!

More here.
Quote:

Hitting theaters Oct. 4 after spins through the Venice and Toronto International Film Festivals, “Joker” stars Joaquin Phoenix as Arthur Fleck, a troubled clown-for-hire and aspiring stand-up comedian living on the margins of a crime-ridden Gotham City circa 1980 or so. Budgeted at just $55 million — roughly a third the cost of Warner’s most recent DC Comics film, “Aquaman” — the R-rated “Joker” is closer in spirit and substance to gritty cinematic portraits of antiheroes from the 1970s — “Taxi Driver,” “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest,” “Serpico” — than your typical modern comic-book movie.

There is no shiny CGI spectacle. No high-speed chases in high-tech vehicles. No capes. No quips. It’s some 45 minutes before anyone so much as fires a gun.

“You’re not starting on 11,” said Phillips, who co-wrote the film with Scott Silver. “You’ll get to 11 but we’re really starting on 2, and it goes from 2 to 3 to 4. It’s a slow burn.

Terran 08-28-2019 07:48 PM

Hype meter red lining, about to break my interest engine!

I need to dial it back a bit, to avoid disappointment. ;)

Meeks 08-28-2019 09:35 PM

I wasn't sure to make of the news that the role went to Joaquin Phoenix. I'm a little more sure now. Looks great!

Azzy 08-28-2019 11:40 PM

This is exactly what the DC engine needs to do.
Get away from the 1:1 recreation. The travesty that was BvS is testament that they need to not try and be Marvel. They can't translate.

Take these ideas and do something fun with them.

Inkabodcrane 08-29-2019 02:27 AM

This looks like it *could* be a groundbreaking film. It looks like a serious drama film on acid. Looks exactly like what the Joker would be like in real life.

This is what I love about the DC Nolan/Snyder and now this Joker film; they take these awesome comic book characters and see what would happen if they actually existed in our world. That get's me hooked infinitely more than the other fun, but ultimately forgettable comic book films.

wunshot 08-30-2019 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azzy (Post 2543284)
Get away from the 1:1 recreation. The travesty that was BvS is testament that they need to not try and be Marvel. They can't translate.

That's seriously great advice. They have some incredible source material, but none of it can compete with Marvel for by the books superhero adventures. They need to go bizzaroworld with all of their properties...R rated, and just take the characters and do something original.

Metal Jesus 08-30-2019 10:18 AM

I'm curious if they are going to completely ignore Batman existing in this world or not. It seems like they kinda need to, right? Especially if Joker incites a riot and serious chaos in Gotham? Wouldn't Batman show up? Seems like they would at least need to address it...

Chimpbot 08-30-2019 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azzy (Post 2543284)

The travesty of BvS had nothing to do with a more comic-accurate fantastical portrayal of the characters, and everything to do with the fact they tried to do what Marvel did across four years (and six movies) with only two movies. BvS - or something like it - could have been a great movie...but WB rushed things far too quickly while trying to play catch-up with Marvel Studios.

Personally, I'm sick of the "gritty and realistic" takes on inherently fantastical characters. I'm sure this will end up being a great movie...but we've already seen a "realistic" version of Gotham and the Joker. Been there, done that.

Inkabodcrane 08-30-2019 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metal Jesus (Post 2543367)
I'm curious if they are going to completely ignore Batman existing in this world or not. It seems like they kinda need to, right? Especially if Joker incites a riot and serious chaos in Gotham? Wouldn't Batman show up? Seems like they would at least need to address it...

No, in this film Bruce Wayne is a child. The person you see punch Joker in the face at one point is Thomas Wayne, Bruce's dad.

There is some speculation that the kid you see in the 1st trailer that Joker pushes a smile onto his face is Bruce.

BvS is one of my favorite films of all time. It's hard to resist getting into the weeds with people who didn't get it, but I've done that too many times to count. To each his own. I will say that over the years more and more articles come out where people retroactively realize how great it is.

Anyways, Joker is looking good!

vallor 09-01-2019 09:46 PM

This looks amazing. I won't see it in the theater because it doesn't look like a movie requiring a big screen but I will see it as soon as I can after.