Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   200 more GameStop Stores Set to Close, with More to Follow (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262668)

Evil Avatar 09-11-2019 06:30 AM

200 more GameStop Stores Set to Close, with More to Follow

Quote:

In a conference call with investors today the team at video game and knick-knack retailer GameStop confirmed plans to close 180-200 "underperforming" stores this year, with more to come in the years ahead.

That second bit is the more notable part of this news, as GamesIndustry reports that a GameStop representative alluded to plans for implementing a new, metrics-driven approach to gauging store performance that will lead to many more closures.

"We have a clear opportunity to improve our overall profitability by de-densifying our chain," the representative said during the call. "And while these [180-200] closures were more opportunistic, we are applying a more definitive, analytic approach, including profit levels and sales transferability, that we expect will yield a much larger tranche of closures over the coming 12 to 24 months."
Gamasutra.

BeardedSonOfNel 09-11-2019 06:57 AM

They'll be gone in a year. Good! I have locally owned and operated used game shops here. They drove GameStop out of my home town :)

Chief Smash 09-11-2019 07:07 AM

I have mixed feelings. On one hand, I've had some run-ins with my local Gamestop over the way they took advantage of my son and my wife on a couple of occasions. On the other hand, I do like having a brick and mortar game store being around. If they die off, I wish at least one other game store would take over instead of it all just going online.

vallor 09-11-2019 07:10 AM

They have some crazy policies. I needed to get 10 Xbox Ones for a project so I called up the local Gamestop who confirmed they had dozens of new and used ones for sale but they could only sell me 2 unless they got permission from their district manager, who would want to talk to me (for some reason, probably none good).

I told them to get in touch with their district manager but I needed them urgently. After 6 hours and no contact I called them back and they said they hadn't heard anything either but they still couldn't sell me more than 2 new or used consoles without permission even if they had the inventory.

So I we ended up buying them from the Microsoft Store. The district manager never called me.

It is almost like they didn't want my money. Wonder how much their stupid policies like this have to do more-so than their poor sales.

Mozain 09-11-2019 07:22 AM

They cannot die soon enough.

But we all knew with how shitty they were this day was coming.

Ghostblaze 09-11-2019 07:54 AM

Good riddance. Bring back Funcoland.

karaliusbronius 09-11-2019 08:09 AM

I perfer nonGameStops because they carry older games. GameStop mainly just caters to new stuff and I just get that digitally. Not to mention, they work there for a living and for some reason I end up knowing more stuff than they do.

PacerDawn 09-11-2019 10:35 AM

I don't even do brick-and-mortar anymore, unless the store happens to have a game section (ala WalMart, Target, Best Buy, etc). But even with those I rarely buy any games. It's much cheaper to get them on-line.

Chief Smash 09-11-2019 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghostblaze (Post 2543964)
Good riddance. Bring back Funcoland.

Funcoland sucked too. In fact my worst Funcoland experience blows away my worst GameStop experience. Those cleaning kits were pushed hard and I was once called stupid for not buying one. I was always a pretty quiet kid but I kind of lost it that day.

brandonjclark 09-11-2019 11:22 AM

The only thing I will miss about Gamestop is the freaking dorky girls who sometimes work there. They try to suckup the male attention harder than any girl sub-type I've ever seen.

Blog 09-11-2019 12:08 PM

I live just outside of Phoenix and there are at least 3 Gamestop stores within a five mile radius of me. The few times I've been inside, they've been deader than disco.

I certainly won't miss them. There's nothing they sell that I can't get online, digitally, or at a big box store.

EL CABONG 09-11-2019 12:19 PM

I have not been to one in years. Maybe if I could walk in and shop or buy the one game I came in for without being pitched a bunch of pre orders or other crap I didn't want I might have gone there more often.

Mad Max RW 09-11-2019 12:27 PM

I stopped caring about EB/GameStop when the PC games section shrunk down to a single shelf for Diablo box sets and The Sims. I remember these stores and CompUSA carried so much good stuff.

Terran 09-11-2019 12:58 PM

EBGames, prior to it's Borgian merger w/GameCrap, was my go-to gaming retailer. They had a great website where I had a 'wishlist' that I monitored and which notified me of price drops (something GameCrap KILLED when they absorbed EBGames). This feature drove traffic to their site (from me) and directly led to sales (to me). That died when they died (absorbed).

Corporate culture matters. Companies that sell out and then declare that 'nothing will change' are full of shat. GGG (Path of Exile) sold 80%+ to Tencent. 'nothing will change...just an investment!' Yeah...righto! :rolleyes:

ministryofwrath 09-11-2019 01:07 PM

I was religiously persecuted by staff when I worked at game stop, and bullied by senior workers in the store.

I lashed out physically at one of them, poor choice I was a different person back then, rather than do that I should have reported it, though I'm the wrong color and religion for anyone to care. "white looking, christian"

They were so bad in this place, that they didn't even try to legally take action against me, rather they wrote it down that I resigned a week earlier, because they knew they'd have a legal case otherwise.

I smile as this store burns, you earned it gentlemen.

BenSkywlkr 09-11-2019 01:34 PM

So many horror stories from this company although in my experience a decently run GameStop isn't a terrible place to do business, I've seen two of those in the last roughly twenty years.

Numerous times I went to buy a new game only to have them swap to used which then required an actual argument to get the new game instead of the used which evolved over time to me simply walking out if they tried to do it without discussing it. Then there was the very long list of things I didn't want, warranties, individual pre order(like I'd say I don't want to pre order anything and they would still ask about half a dozen individual games). Pushing their propaganda rag 'magazine' and rewards program, even now they merchandised their store and what products they chose to carry.

From taking to people who worked there I know these are corporate edicts and disciplinary action awaits those who offer good customer service- and now they reap what they have sowed. I don't like seeing people lose their jobs, but it is with great schadenfreude I watch this company implode.

vivafletcher 09-11-2019 02:46 PM

This reminds me: I have an old Babbage's coupon. Where can I use that?

brandonjclark 09-11-2019 04:33 PM

Blockbuster abused it's customer's with ridiculous late charge fees.

Gamestop does it similarly by under-paying for your used games, which they then mark up.

This is the REAL reason everyone hates them.

PatrickRes9 09-11-2019 05:06 PM

I stopped caring about EB/GameStop when the PC games section shrunk down to a single shelf for Diablo box sets and The Sims. I remember these stores and CompUSA carried so much good stuff.

Terran 09-11-2019 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max RW (Post 2543989)

Really have to agree here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 (Post 2544007)

You don't know what you are talking about.