Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Steam Is Getting a Revamped Recommendation System (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246820)

Emabulator 07-12-2017 04:15 PM

Steam Is Getting a Revamped Recommendation System
 

IGN has the story.

Quote:

Valve is working on a new recommendation system for Steam.

During a talk at Unite Europe 2017, Valve product designer Alden Kroll outlined how the company plans to change the Steam Store in a way that benefits developers by improving discoverability and providing better game recommendations.

As reported by Gamasutra, Kroll said that instead of having a group from within Valve decide which games are shown to Steam users, the company is taking an approach that provides "customers the tools they need to be able to customize and personalize their store." In order to accomplish this, Valve will provide users with the ability to directly sort and filter the content they are and aren't interested in.

Additionally, the company is working on an overhauled replacement for the automatic recommendation system that's currently in place. This new system is being designed to curate recommendations by looking at the player's library and the time they've invested in each game, which, according to Kroll will provide recommendations that are better suited for each player.

vallor 07-12-2017 08:08 PM

Oh good. I hope this "providing the customers with tools" doesn't mean customer ratings will hold more sway in what gets seen in my list. I'd hate to have my list get saturated by what turds like Jim Sterling and his ilk who have the luxury of actually spending time rating games feels is a good game.

If this is the case I'm betting it becomes a daily task for everyone at Polygone, Kotakpoo, and other outlets to go rate titles which meet their approved and bomb those which don't.

thatlukeguy 07-12-2017 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vallor (Post 2487861)
Oh good. I hope this "providing the customers with tools" doesn't mean customer ratings will hold more sway in what gets seen in my list. I'd hate to have my list get saturated by what turds like Jim Sterling and his ilk who have the luxury of actually spending time rating games feels is a good game.

If this is the case I'm betting it becomes a daily task for everyone at Polygone, Kotakpoo, and other outlets to go rate titles which meet their approved and bomb those which don't.

Actually yeah, that IS a scary thought

Mad Max RW 07-13-2017 04:48 AM

You will always be far better off following several of your favorite Youtubers and some irc channels with gamers you know. Shitty paid critics, anonymous Steam reviews, and forums/reddit subs infested with company plants is a war that will never end. There's nothing Steam can do to make their recommendation system matter to me.

Chimpbot 07-13-2017 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max RW (Post 2487874)
You will always be far better off following several of your favorite Youtubers and some irc channels with gamers you know. Shitty paid critics, anonymous Steam reviews, and forums/reddit subs infested with company plants is a war that will never end. There's nothing Steam can do to make their recommendation system matter to me.

Please, lets not pretend that many of your favorite YouTube "influencers" aren't paid shills, either. Sure, they may be a little more "transparent" about it, now...but it still happens with great regularity.

Mad Max RW 07-13-2017 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2487878)
Please, lets not pretend that many of your favorite YouTube "influencers" aren't paid shills, either. Sure, they may be a little more "transparent" about it, now...but it still happens with great regularity.

I don't follow or take seriously any of those Youtubers who do it for a buck first such as Angry Joe, et al. Primarily I follow other unknown gamers I personally know who happen to be Youtubers. Should have clarified in my previous post, but assumed it went hand in hand with irc.

blackzc 07-13-2017 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2487878)
Please, lets not pretend that many of your favorite YouTube "influencers" aren't paid shills, either. Sure, they may be a little more "transparent" about it, now...but it still happens with great regularity.

Sometimes they are good at hiding it to. Im a big Cinemassacre fan. They did a review of the AT games Genesis a while back. Didn't have to much bad to say about it. Like a year later i find out its a huge POS, the sound made it almost unplayable. They never brought it up.

Mad Max RW 07-23-2017 09:53 AM

Sorry for resurrecting a weeks old thread, but holy shit Angry Joe is having the most hilarious meltdown/self destruction of his channel I've seen on Youtube in recent history. The guy burned out and instead of being honest with his fans suddenly snapped when announcing he was taking another months long break after producing very little content (besides Twitch streams and half assed trailer reactions) the previous year. Watching his bullshit E3 coverage he comes across a total fucking sellout rivaling Dorito Pope Geoff Keighley. Also, look up Joe's livestream reaction to Trump winning the election. His true colors really shine.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:43 AM.