Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Netflix to Produce The Witcher TV Series (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245514)

Chimpbot 05-17-2017 05:58 AM

Netflix to Produce The Witcher TV Series

Netflix has announced it will be producing a series based on The Witcher Saga series of novels, by Andrzej Sapkowski.

Sapkowski will be serving as a creative consultant on the series. Platige Image, a Polish visual effects house, will co-produce the series.

Quote:

“Andrzej Sapkowski has created a rich and memorable world, at once magical and familiar,” said Erik Barmack, Netflix Vice President, international series. “We couldn’t be more excited about bringing Netflix members around the world.” “I’m thrilled that Netflix will be doing an adaptation of my stories, staying true to the source material and the themes that I have spent over thirty years writing,” said Sapkowski. “I’m excited about our efforts together, as well as the team assembled to shepherd these characters to life.”
No release date, casting or directorial choices have been revealed as of yet.

I'm sure this will be great news for fans of the series. It is, however, important to remember that the series shares the same source material as the games...and isn't based on the games themselves. If nothing else, it should prove to be much more profitable for Sapkowski, who does not receive any royalties from the games. Amusingly enough, it's actually not the first TV adaptation, either.

actusoul 05-17-2017 08:42 AM

Hopefully a successful series like Game of Thrones. Will see.

Terran 05-17-2017 08:54 AM

I am absolutely amazed at how much original content Netflix is churning out. It seems like every week or so there's another dozen new, original items available. It's mind boggling how much money they're pouring into new content.

I love it. I've found some enjoyable surprises, like the Marcella series and Queen of the South. I've also become used to watching shows at my own pace without the typical pile of commercial interruptions. I'm beyond commercials in shows, which I can't tolerate it any longer. cable/satellite TV is almost entirely dead to me.

EL CABONG 05-17-2017 09:26 AM

Hope its good. IF it has a large budget maybe it will.

Chimpbot 05-17-2017 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran (Post 2482926)
I am absolutely amazed at how much original content Netflix is churning out. It seems like every week or so there's another dozen new, original items available. It's mind boggling how much money they're pouring into new content.

I love it. I've found some enjoyable surprises, like the Marcella series and Queen of the South. I've also become used to watching shows at my own pace without the typical pile of commercial interruptions. I'm beyond commercials in shows, which I can't tolerate it any longer. cable/satellite TV is almost entirely dead to me.

Some of their content, like the new season of MST3K, is "produced" by them, in that they secured the exclusive rights. The upcoming Godzilla anime is another example. This, however, will be akin to Stranger Things and Orange is the New Black, in that they're involved with the production.

Still, you're not wrong; they're getting their hands on all sorts of original/exclusive content. They don't have as many new release movies, necessarily...but solid original content is almost better.

Kooch 05-17-2017 12:25 PM

Not receiving royalties on the games is the author's own fault if I'm not mistaken, he had no faith in the games being successful. I think I read something about him being kind of a grouch about it.

Chimpbot 05-17-2017 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kooch (Post 2482980)
Not receiving royalties on the games is the author's own fault if I'm not mistaken, he had no faith in the games being successful. I think I read something about him being kind of a grouch about it.

Yeah, it solely rests on Sapkowski's shoulders and he readily admits it. The part that makes him most grouchy is that people tend to think his novels are tie-ins written after the fact.

I can understand why he'd be upset in that regard. He wholly owns up to the royalty situation, though.

hotdrop 05-17-2017 07:02 PM

Netflix has done a great job with their originals unlike Amazon which has mostly produced crap