Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Star Trek Discovery First Look Trailer (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245556)

Evil Avatar 05-18-2017 10:17 AM

Star Trek Discovery First Look Trailer

Quote:

Before Kirk, Spock and the Enterprise there was Discovery. Now, one of the most iconic and influential global franchises returns to television with Star Trek: Discovery. The CBS All Access Original Series arrives this Fall.

GinRummy 05-18-2017 11:07 AM

"So lets make another Trek prequel like the one everybody hated before, but add all that annoying lens flare that everybody hated recently. That should be a big hit."

EL CABONG 05-18-2017 11:18 AM

Pass. Is show not airing on CBS? If this is a web only show then even the suits at CBS must not have a ton of faith in this.

brandonjclark 05-18-2017 11:20 AM

Umm, I guess I'm on the outside here but that looked rather cool.

vallor 05-18-2017 11:47 AM

Jesus Christ. Max said it in the other thread but I think JJ Abrams finally met his match when it comes to being the king of lens flare.

I'm not super put off by the trailer though somethings about it just ring wrong. "My species was designed to know when the moment of death was approaching..." what? Who would design a species for that? Makes no sense.

Just like every other Star Trek I expect it will take a few seasons for people to understand how good it was. I fucking hated Voyager until I watched the first three seasons back to back on Netflix. Even TNG wasn't great till season 2 and that was years and years after people had forgotten TOS. People diss Enterprise but taken as a whole series it actually built pretty well to it's conclusion.

And of course Deep Space 9. "How can it be Star Trek if there is no Trekking?" might have been the best of them all once you got to see the texture of everything happening.

So I'll give this one time to settle. It's only been a decade or so since the last Star Trek but thanks to Netflix and so on we have the constant reminders of the past, unlike when TNG came around so it is going to have an uphill battle contending with the past.

But DAMN less fucking lens flare please. Oh, and if you have to subscribe to CBS Online or whatever, forget about it. Nail. Coffin.

ashikenshin 05-18-2017 11:53 AM

I thought it looked somewhat interesting. I will give it a go but since I don't get CBS Online I will have to search other means

yo ho ho ho

ElektroDragon 05-18-2017 12:11 PM

Surprised they didn't call it Star Trek Diversity.

Chimpbot 05-18-2017 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElektroDragon (Post 2483142)

Star Trek has always been about diversity.

This doesn't look too bad, but I'm tired of prequels and going backwards. I'd rather see something set after the TNG/DS9/Voyager era entirely.

Emabulator 05-18-2017 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GinRummy (Post 2483118)
"So lets make another Trek prequel like the one everybody hated before, but add all that annoying lens flare that everybody hated recently. That should be a big hit."

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4225/3...b4f2b70c_z.jpg

Capt_Thad 05-18-2017 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashikenshin (Post 2483133)
I thought it looked somewhat interesting. I will give it a go but since I don't get CBS Online I will have to search other means

yo ho ho ho

Yeah, show seems like it might be alright. I want to give it a shot, but not enough to subscribe to another media service.

Hope they decide to license it out later on.

Clancy 05-19-2017 06:38 PM

They have no confidence in this show at all, it will not be on the network, and thrown up via a paywall for their streaming service. What a load of BS. Then again, it does save us from watching this epic failure.

Zane 05-20-2017 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElektroDragon (Post 2483142)

Voyager was worse. Spirit animal. Never forget.

Mad Max RW 05-20-2017 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clancy (Post 2483324)
They have no confidence in this show at all, it will not be on the network, and thrown up via a paywall for their streaming service. What a load of BS. Then again, it does save us from watching this epic failure.

And yet we know who they will blame when it fails.

SpectralThundr 05-20-2017 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max RW (Post 2483364)
And yet we know who they will blame when it fails.

The same alt right who apparently caused the racist Black Panther comic to bomb?

Mad Max RW 05-20-2017 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralThundr (Post 2483365)
The same alt right who apparently caused the racist Black Panther comic to bomb?

Shhh. People should act surprised when it comes.