Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Game & Movie Releases for the week of September 9th to September 15th, 2018 (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255831)

Evil Avatar 09-10-2018 07:59 AM

Game & Movie Releases for the week of September 9th to September 15th, 2018

Game & Movie Releases for the week of September 9th to September 15th, 2018.

Retail Games
Shadow of the Tomb Raider (PS4, Xbox)
NHL 19 (PS4, Xbox)
Black Clover: Quartet Knights (PS4)
V-Rally 4 (PS4, Xbox, Switch)
NBA 2K19 (PS4, Xbox, Switch)
Shadows: Awakening (PS4, Xbox, PC)
Labo Toy-Con 03: Vehicle Kit (Switch)
Mercenaries Saga Chronicles (Switch)

Movies & TV
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Eleventh Season
Ocean's 8
Superfly
Batman: Assault on Arkham
Hearts Beat Loud
Nightwing/Shadow of the Hawk: Double Feature
The Tree of Life Criterion Collection
Tokyo Ghoul: The Complete First Season
Yona of the Dawn: The Complete Series
ReLIFE: Season One

Box Office
The Predator
A Simple Favor
White Boy Rick
Lizzie

Rough week to launch Shadow of the Tomb Raider - right after all the wind got sucked out by Spider-Man. I guess if you only own an Xbox, it gives you something great to play this week!

Evil Avatar 09-10-2018 07:59 AM

Xbox owners all be like...

ElektroDragon 09-10-2018 08:26 AM

Oh stop, who doesn't own both X1X and PS4 Pro nowadays if you're in any way a serious gamer?

Also Shadows Awakening is pretty awesome.

Korolev 09-10-2018 08:38 AM

At least Shadow Of The Tomb Raider isn't Xbox exclusive like Rise was. Timed exclusives are dumb, especially when you know a game will come to other platforms.

Metal Jesus 09-10-2018 11:28 AM

I'm actually more excited for Tomb Raider than Spider-man.... so Day 1 purchase for me.

LostToys 09-10-2018 08:06 PM

I will likely pass on Shadow of the Tomb Raider (PC) this week and wait for a half of sale. Sorta want to wait for a RTX 1070 and for the DLC to drop in price before I crack open that game.

Luckily I will be getting Spider-Man (PS4) from GameFly this week, so I can at least pretend I am playing a brand new title.

Evil Avatar 09-10-2018 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElektroDragon (Post 2520585)
Oh stop, who doesn't own both X1X and PS4 Pro nowadays if you're in any way a serious gamer?

Also Shadows Awakening is pretty awesome.

All the smart people? Why would anyone own an Xbox One? It has basically 3 exclusives and those aren't that great (Gears, Halo, Forza). That's just not enough content to justify the purchase.

TheHulk 09-10-2018 09:19 PM

Tree of Life on Criterion? The must be scraping the bottom of the barrel. What's next...Billy Madison?

Looks like we might have dodged a bullet with Hurricane Florence, but still will probably get a day or so off this week so hopefully will get to fire up Spiderman since I didn't get a chance over the weekend. I haven't gotten an NBA game in years so may pickup NBA 2K19 while I still have a few months left on my Gamers Club.

Wizzkidd 09-11-2018 01:42 AM

I waited on Spider-man. I'll get it eventually when it's on sale. I liked Insomniac's last game Sunset Overdrive (wish it was on PC), and I keep hearing that it's basically like the Batman Arkham games, so I do want to play it. I preordered Tomb Raider Croft Edition on Steam, looking forward to playing in full 4K with everything at max settings. Since getting the 1080ti I haven't been using the consoles much. I mean, why would I? I have a 43 inch 4K HDR screen about 4 feet from my face, and my 65 inch 4k TV about 4 feet after that. But I will get Spidey eventually, just hate to be tethered to an underpowered machine is all. Also just got a badass Corsair mouse and keyboard, so I am even more pumped than usual to play on PC. Can't wait until the next Halo game comes out cross platform on PC to play it at max as well.

Also super pumped for The Predator! I have the AMC version of moviepass, will see it at least 2-3 times just this weekend! I keep hearing that 90% of the film is amazing, and the ending is the part that may split fans. We'll see, but this will probably be the last Predator film for a long time, if not forever, now that Disney's annoying ass bought Fox.

NightRain 09-11-2018 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2520634)
All the smart people? Why would anyone own an Xbox One? It has basically 3 exclusives and those aren't that great (Gears, Halo, Forza). That's just not enough content to justify the purchase.

If you even remotely like cars then an Xbox One is worth owning for the Forza franchises alone. Plus almost every third party game performs better on Xbox One X now.

Early in this generation everyone was saying the PS4 was so great and the Xbox graphics sucked. Xbox One X fixed that. Yes PS4 has great exclusives but that wasn't always the case either the first 1.5-2 years was pretty bad overall.

Chimpbot 09-11-2018 07:01 AM

Quote:

The fact that the One is a multi-purpose 4k Blu-ray player is enough to warrant a purchase, for me. Plus, I'm not worried about exclusives when it would be my go-to console for multi-platform titles; most of 'em would simply look and perform better when compared to the Pro. In this case, exclusives wouldn't mean much because I'd be using it for virtually anything that wasn't exclusive to the PS4.

You're so focused on exclusives, but seem to forget that the vast majority of titles released every year are multiplatform.

Evil Avatar 09-11-2018 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2520655)
You're so focused on exclusives, but seem to forget that the vast majority of titles released every year are multiplatform.

I don't forget that, it's a major reason to own a PS4 over an Xbox. Because you get all the multiplatform titles AND you get all the PlayStation exclusives.

I do get the draw of a 4K player, if I had a big TV I would probably get a cheap S just as a 4K player (unless the cost of a stand-alone player comes down).

I imagine that the 4K issue will be solved with the PS5.

Chimpbot 09-11-2018 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2520665)
I don't forget that, it's a major reason to own a PS4 over an Xbox. Because you get all the multiplatform titles AND you get all the PlayStation exclusives.

Right...but they'll just flat-out look and perform better on a One X. That's the draw of the One X.

Quote:

I do get the draw of a 4K player, if I had a big TV I would probably get a cheap S just as a 4K player (unless the cost of a stand-alone player comes down).
If I'm going to shell out for one of these, I'd rather buy the one that is significantly better. But, that's just me.

Quote:

I imagine that the 4K issue will be solved with the PS5.
It's something that should have been "solved" with the Pro.

Evil Avatar 09-11-2018 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2520666)
It's something that should have been "solved" with the Pro.

No, I think it was smart of Sony to wait. It added to the cost of the bottom line and at the time the PS4 and the Pro launched it just wasn't a big enough market for them to add to the overall cost of the systems.

They waited to make their product more profitable. I agree that the launch of the Pro was probably the right time to add the 4K, but I doubt that 4K movies were a big enough market to make it worth whatever it would have added to the cost of the system.

Now that everything is moving that direction, they will have the PS5 (probably on the market for Christmas 2019) and it will do 4K movies and be a faster system than the Xbox One X.

I'm going to be a little disappointed that another system is launching 1 year after I got the Pro, but having the Amazing Red Spider-Man system makes it worth the cost.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2520666)
Right...but they'll just flat-out look and perform better on a One X. That's the draw of the One X.

Well, given that neither the Xbox One S or the Xbox One X is selling enough systems to really even count for much, all that power just doesn't seem to be a draw to consumers. Perhaps if they can turn things around and start investing in some exclusives again that might change, but I don't see a ton of people rushing out to add an X to their game room just to play Forza, Gears, Halo and (Bwahahahaha...) Crackdown 3.

Evil Avatar 09-11-2018 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wizzkidd (Post 2520646)
Also super pumped for The Predator! I have the AMC version of moviepass, will see it at least 2-3 times just this weekend! I keep hearing that 90% of the film is amazing, and the ending is the part that may split fans. We'll see, but this will probably be the last Predator film for a long time, if not forever, now that Disney's annoying ass bought Fox.

I'm going to see The Sisters Brothers on the 22nd and then I have to take the kids to a movie on the 29th. I'm going to see if I can catch either The Predator or Mandy. I'm hoping for Mandy. I've got to find something that is playing at the same time as the movie the girls want to see.

Chimpbot 09-11-2018 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2520673)
No, I think it was smart of Sony to wait. It added to the cost of the bottom line and at the time the PS4 and the Pro launched it just wasn't a big enough market for them to add to the overall cost of the systems.

4K discs outsold standard BRD 4-to-1 during it's first year on the market. It made a big enough impact out of the gate that Microsoft added a 4k drive to the One S.

The fact that Sony's main competitor beat them to the punch with a 4k BRD drive - Sony's own format - is pretty ludicrous.

Quote:

They waited to make their product more profitable. I agree that the launch of the Pro was probably the right time to add the 4K, but I doubt that 4K movies were a big enough market to make it worth whatever it would have added to the cost of the system.
The market was there practically right out of the gate. Again, 4-to-1 sales in favor of 4k BRD vs standard.

Quote:

Now that everything is moving that direction, they will have the PS5 (probably on the market for Christmas 2019) and it will do 4K movies and be a faster system than the Xbox One X.

I'm going to be a little disappointed that another system is launching 1 year after I got the Pro, but having the Amazing Red Spider-Man system makes it worth the cost.
If the rumors are true (which I kind of doubt, in large part because the 2019 launch rumors coincide with a"5G PSP" device), I would absolutely hold off on buying a launch PS5 in 2019...even if I hadn't just picked up a Pro. Sony's official statements are to expect the PS4's successor to launch in 2021. If they did get it out two full years early, I'd expect there to be a number of hardware issues. Plus, it would be all but guaranteed to get a Pro-like revision...so, what's the point?

Primus 09-11-2018 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElektroDragon (Post 2520585)

This.

I own both, but the reality is no one is going to be talking about Spider-Man once RDR2 drops. I feel sorry for anyone who isn't playing that on a XB1X because of some 20-30 hour copy/paste open world game (or worse yet actually upgraded to a Pro). As someone who has been enjoying Spider-Man immensely this week, it does look and run like absolute shit on my PS4 after doing 99% of my gaming on a XB1X, and so will RDR2, COD, BF, etc, etc.

Also, the PS4 exclusive library is immensely hyped up. Neither console has any true wide-appeal killer app. Spider-Man might be the closest thing the PS4 has, but it's not a game with legs.

BalekFekete 09-12-2018 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metal Jesus (Post 2520600)
I'm actually more excited for Tomb Raider than Spider-man.... so Day 1 purchase for me.

Ditto here. Spider-man, to me, just looks like Arkham Knight with a different skin. Not a bad thing by any stretch of the imagination, but not the wholly new IP per se that I would have wanted it to be. Of course OTOH, coming up with something new and novel today is really a feat, so I don't hold Insomniac at fault for staying true to what worked well in the past.

Quote:

Why would anyone own an Xbox One?

Everyone has already said it well for me - as the owner of a 65" HDR set and a top-end sound system, I want to play my games in true 4k on the most capable console available. Today, that's the X1X. I have access to a PS4, however, the exclusives just aren't enough to convert me over until Sony takes back the power crown.

Chimpbot 09-12-2018 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BalekFekete (Post 2520736)
Ditto here. Spider-man, to me, just looks like Arkham Knight with a different skin. Not a bad thing by any stretch of the imagination, but not the wholly new IP per se that I would have wanted it to be. Of course OTOH, coming up with something new and novel today is really a feat, so I don't hold Insomniac at fault for staying true to what worked well in the past.

Having played both, I can honestly say that Spider-Man feels like an entirely different game despite the surface-level similarities.

It's ultimately a different sort of beast when compared to the Arkham games.

Evil Avatar 09-12-2018 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2520738)
Having played both, I can honestly say that Spider-Man feels like an entirely different game despite the surface-level similarities.

It's ultimately a different sort of beast when compared to the Arkham games.

I kinda disagree, I think it feels like exactly the same game, only without the neat detective bits from the first game. (Arkham Knight was a bit more on the action side than the first one.)

Not that I'm complaining, I just think it is pretty much the exact same game with almost exactly the same combat style.

A shame that the black costume didn't make the cut. That seems weird.