Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   EA Kills... Um... "Acquires" Respawn Entertainment (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249699)

Evil Avatar 11-10-2017 08:44 AM

EA Kills... Um... "Acquires" Respawn Entertainment

In a move sure to spell the death march for Titanfall developer Respawn Entertainment, they have announced that they have sold out to publisher Electronic Arts.

Quote:

EA to Acquire Respawn Entertainment

Electronic Arts announced today an agreement to acquire Respawn Entertainment, a leading independent game development studio and creators of AAA shooter and action games including the critically-acclaimed Titanfall franchise. Respawn brings to EA the proven leadership and studio talent behind Titanfall and Titanfall 2, two of the most highly-rated shooter titles in the last five years. The acquisition builds on a successful publishing partnership between Respawn and EA, with multiple projects currently in development - a new title in the Titanfall franchise, a game set in the Star Wars universe and a VR gaming experience.

"We've seen firsthand the world-class caliber of Respawn as a development studio with incredible vision, deep talent and an inspiring creative mindset," said Andrew Wilson, CEO of Electronic Arts. "Our longtime partnership is grounded in a shared desire to push the boundaries and deliver extraordinary and innovative new experiences for players around the world. Together, we've brought this to life in the Titanfall franchise, and now with the Respawn team joining EA, we have exciting plans to accomplish even more amazing things in the future."

"We started Respawn with the goal to create a studio with some of the best talent in the industry, and to be a top developer of innovative games," said Vince Zampella, CEO of Respawn Entertainment. "We felt that now was the time to join an industry leader that brings the resources and support we need for long term success, while still keeping our culture and creative freedom. EA has been a great partner over the years with Titanfall and Titanfall 2, and we're excited to combine our strengths. This is a great next step for Respawn, EA, and our players."

Respawn is the creator and developer of the critically-acclaimed Titanfall franchise that energized the first-person shooter genre with its innovative gameplay. The first game, Titanfall, was published by EA in 2014, and received global recognition with more than 75 top awards. Fans and critics fell in love with the game's refreshing, fast-paced multiplayer gameplay. Respawn and EA launched Titanfall 2 in late 2016, with a new single-player campaign and expanded multiplayer gameplay, resulting in one of the year's top-rated shooters.

Respawn will join EA's Worldwide Studios organization, a global creative collective of leading game development studios bringing to life an unmatched portfolio of top games and services across all major platforms.

Under the agreement, EA will pay $151 million in cash, and up to $164 million in long-term equity in the form of restricted stock units to employees, which will vest over four years. In addition, EA may be required to pay additional variable cash consideration that is contingent upon achievement of certain performance milestones, relating to the development of future titles, through the end of calendar 2022. The additional consideration is limited to a maximum of $140 million. The transaction is expected to close by the end of the calendar 2017 or soon thereafter, subject to regulatory approvals and other customary closing conditions. The acquisition is expected to be neutral to EA's net income in fiscal years 2018 and 2019.
I'm already predicting that we will hear about the founder Vince departing next year, then the slow death march for the rest of the company. First cranking out a few Star Wars sequels, then getting assigned to DLC for some other branch of EA... then closure.

Metal Jesus 11-10-2017 09:24 AM

Titanfall 2 was pretty awesome... hopefully this keeps them afloat for a little bit longer so they can make something great again.

Misanthropist 11-10-2017 09:42 AM

with bioware it was minimum 5 years before he could leave, so perhaps it will be a slow decline rather than a freefall.

ashikenshin 11-10-2017 09:49 AM

Guess they won't respawn again.

Evil Avatar 11-10-2017 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Misanthropist (Post 2498221)
with bioware it was minimum 5 years before he could leave, so perhaps it will be a slow decline rather than a freefall.

It will depend on this new Star Wars game, if it is a Hit, they will be like DICE or BioWare and will stick around for a while, if it fops, they will crash and burn fast.

But, look at BioWare. They are in a slow decline. The games keep getting worse, EA has given up on Mass Effect and pretty much closed the studio that made the last Mass Effect game. The Dragon Age team will be the next on the chopping block because you know they will make another average to poor quality game like the last one.

I like a lot of the guys at Respawn, this seems like a real shame or it seems like Vince and the other owners are just cashing out and getting ready to move on to a new studio.

Meeks 11-10-2017 10:00 AM

Just spitballing here, and I digress, but I wonder if the Netflix business model would work with the games industry. Pay a monthly subscription to be able to play any game in their library at will. Eventually, like Netflix, they establish in-house development studios with the resources to take creative risks and innovate, shake up the industry and force the EAs of the world to rethink their approach.

The downside, from a consumer standpoint, is that I don't own the games I'm playing. But, if I'm being honest, I rarely go back and play a game after I'm done with it. I may be in the minority, but there is a very short list of games I've gone back and revisited. I tend to stick with the latest and greatest and let the classics exist in memory.

Terran 11-10-2017 10:00 AM

Wait...what?

So, the guys who started Infinity Ward, grew it to success, sold it to EA, and walked away huffing and suing over compensation and treatment...

...left to start Respawn, grew it to success, and have sold out to...EA?

lol...smdh here. :D

ashikenshin 11-10-2017 10:06 AM

Isn't Infinity Ward part of Activision now?

TheMasterCow 11-10-2017 10:17 AM

A moment of silence as we say goodbye. RIP Respawn. You were so young and were taken away from us so early in life.

Sensei-X 11-10-2017 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran (Post 2498225)
Wait...what?

So, the guys who started Infinity Ward, grew it to success, sold it to EA, and walked away huffing and suing over compensation and treatment...

Actually Infinity Ward was started by Vince Zampella, Grant Collier, and Jason West, They initially took some money from Activision to produce CoD games, and were later bought out by them. Collier dropped out of the picture and after years of the studio being a CoD printing machine West and Zampella cried that Activision worked them too hard and had promised them a title that wasn't a "military FPS" and later had reneged on that promise. They sued and ended up settling out of court. They started Respawn Entertainment and their first title was a... FPS... but with giant robots... Jason West ditched the company back in 2013 and at this point I'm guessing Vince Zampella just wants out of the industry and is cashing himself out. So I'm guessing this will go as well as Microsoft's purchase of Rare, where the Stamper brothers bailed as soon as the ink on the contract had dried.

Capt_Thad 11-10-2017 12:43 PM

Word is that EA had to jump on this purchase to keep them from getting bought out by Nexon. I'd prefer EA hold on to Respawn instead of them getting stuck with pumping out KMMO shooters.

Quote:

Just spitballing here, and I digress, but I wonder if the Netflix business model would work with the games industry. Pay a monthly subscription to be able to play any game in their library at will. Eventually, like Netflix, they establish in-house development studios with the resources to take creative risks and innovate, shake up the industry and force the EAs of the world to rethink their approach.
You're describing EA's Origin Access--though maybe not as innovative as Netflix allows their studios to be, yet. Might be an easier premise once pretty much everyone is subscribed to your service.

Mojopin 11-10-2017 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meeks (Post 2498224)
The downside, from a consumer standpoint, is that I don't own the games I'm playing...

Technically, you never own any software. Just the license to use it, so if you think like that, your paid gaming subscription (ala Netflix) would be great. :)

Emabulator 11-10-2017 01:07 PM

My fingers are crossed for the fine folks at Respawn.

Also, Titanfall 2 has a great solo campaign and is available on the cheap if you missed it. The multiplayer is decent, but my old man reflexes were not a good fit for the extreme mobility.

SpectralThundr 11-10-2017 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran (Post 2498225)
Wait...what?

Activision owns Infinity Ward. Activision also pushed them out the door because they didn't want to make COD every year anymore so they found reasons to try and terminate them. Lawsuits ensued, the IW founders won and left to start Respawn.

Terran 11-10-2017 01:24 PM

Ah yes, yes...IW was Activision, Respawn is going to EA. Okay, that makes more sense.

Here I was thinking they went back to the same vomitous trough as before. Well, at least they chose a different flavor of vomit, lol.

Meeks 11-10-2017 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt_Thad (Post 2498238)
You're describing EA's Origin Access--though maybe not as innovative as Netflix allows their studios to be, yet. Might be an easier premise once pretty much everyone is subscribed to your service.

Good point. But this is just EA's limited version.

I'm looking at Valve (or maybe Netflix themselves) to try this. Maybe have a tier that includes early-access titles to alleviate some of the recent issues we've seen there.

blackzc 11-10-2017 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashikenshin (Post 2498222)
Guess they won't respawn again.

KEk.

MadMurdock_0311 11-10-2017 04:40 PM

The only part that sucks about these studios being bought out? Lots of hardworking people lose their jobs when the publisher (inevitably) shutters their doors. I feel for those folks.

VideoMike101 11-10-2017 07:17 PM

EA Pass already exists.

brandonjclark 11-11-2017 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt_Thad (Post 2498238)
Word is that EA had to jump on this purchase to keep them from getting bought out by Nexon. I'd prefer EA hold on to Respawn instead of them getting stuck with pumping out KMMO shooters.

What he's talking about is my Games as a Service (GaaS) model I've been crying about for fricking 10 years. Origin is the first of its kind, and I knew the day would come.

I'm a subscriber.