Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Nintendo "Strongly Urges" You Don't Overpay For SNES Mini on eBay (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248268)

Emabulator 09-11-2017 01:13 PM

Nintendo "Strongly Urges" You Don't Overpay For SNES Mini on eBay

Eurogamer has the story.

Quote:

The Nintendo Classic Mini: Super Nintendo Entertainment System, or SNES mini for short, won't run into the same sorts of supply shortages that befell its NES mini predecessor, according to Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime.

Demand for that limited edition retro console far outweighed its scarce supply, leading to colossal markups on second-hand auction sites where it was going for more than quadruple its 49.99 asking price.

Fils-Aime was adamant that this wouldn't happen again and that fans shouldn't pay more than the SNES mini's retail price of 69.99 / $79.99 to acquire the collector's item on eBay.

"I would strongly urge you not to over-bid on an SNES Classic on any of the auction sites," Fils-Aime said in an interview with Financial Times. "You shouldn't [have to] pay more than $79.99."

Given how quickly pre-orders sold out, the impending micro-console is already going for roughly 200 on eBay ahead of its 29th September launch.

Methos 09-11-2017 01:21 PM

I also have a bridge and some ocean-front property in Arizona to sell you.

blackzc 09-11-2017 01:25 PM

FUCK YOU NINTENDO!!!!

YOU!!!ARE THE REASON I HAVE TO OVERPAY FOR THE SNES MINI!! YOUDID THIS, NOT ME!! THIS IS ALL YOURFAULT!

DON'T YOU DARE!! I AM THE VICTIM HERE!!

Sike, im not some entitled sissy communist. I can accept the fact that Nintendo wants to produce a product and sell a limited amount without logging onto the internet and crying about it endlessly.

All the post below me that are incoming, bitching, moaning, shitting on Nintendo...

Cry harder little girls, cry harder. Wipe the tears on your little pink dress, then throw a tantrum. Fags..

BillyWilliamton 09-11-2017 02:57 PM

But heres the thing. We live in a time where people from anywhere in the world can put money down on a product, and if you really wanted to you could make enough to meet the demands of people willing to fork over money ahead of time. They want the product to be limited, they want people in a frenzy over this shit, so them saying this is pretty asanine and just serves to annoy people.

I have no interest in one, I personally find these to be wastes of money.

Terran 09-11-2017 03:01 PM

Artificial scarcity. Nice job, Nintendo. :D

blackzc 09-11-2017 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran (Post 2492505)
Artificial scarcity. Nice job, Nintendo. :D

Explain artificial to me.

If Nintendo doesn't want to sell 50 million SNES Minis, then that's what they want to do. You are assuming that every time a company makes something they automatically want to sell as many as humanly possible.

When Auto makers do a limited run car like an Enzo, Type R or ZR1 you dont get a bunch of people crying their eyes and being females about it. You get in like and sometimes you get what you want, sometimes you dont.

InB4 hur dur @ comparing cheap consoles to supercars. The math and logic is exactly the same. Nintendo has a basic understanding of human nature and how to keep their brand fresh. Deal with it.

Terran 09-11-2017 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackzc (Post 2492514)
Explain artificial to me.

They can make more, but choose not to. It's not because they are incapable of making more, or due to a lack of rare materials or the like. They simply choose to constrain supply BELOW actual demand.

Artificial scarcity. They're doing it to you. With a ten foot pole. :D

blackzc 09-11-2017 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran (Post 2492515)
They can make more, but choose not to. It's not because they are incapable of making more, or due to a lack of rare materials or the like. They simply choose to constrain supply BELOW actual demand.

Artificial scarcity. They're doing it to you. With a ten foot pole. :D

They aren't (doing it to me). They are making a set number to sell.

Do you see how this is being entitled?

Terran 09-11-2017 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackzc (Post 2492520)
They aren't (doing it to me). They are making a set number to sell.

A set number below the market demand, screwing over their loyal fans.

Quote:

I don't want one. No entitlement here! :D

Customers who can afford a product but not being able to buy it because it's intentionally produced at a lower supply than demand would sustain isn't 'entitlement,' it's stupid business management and mistreatment of loyal customers.

Nintendo is entitled to screw its loyal fan base if it wants to, though. Entitlement! lol...

Paranoia 09-11-2017 06:33 PM

Nintendo limiting NES mini only justify gamers to purchase the pirate version instead of giving money to them.

Big N screwed themselves from profit.

blackzc 09-12-2017 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran (Post 2492522)
A set number below the market demand, screwing over their loyal fans.

So everything needs to be produced based on market demand? This is ridiculous and you know it.

Phoenix1985 09-12-2017 05:25 AM

It is kind of interesting, apparently it has been an issue that's come up several times internally with Nintendo, both in the past and now. I doubt their original plans before were to produce all these machines at much lower rates than they'd make money off of them, especially before the holidays. I've also heard this in fact isn't intentional, but that explaining why would make them look like chumps rather than tyrants (of production).

A much more likely explanation would probably be that they simply can't get enough factory production and are really conservative with their estimates of how much they will sell, given how badly a number of their consoles did a few years back.

Now they're (sort of) kicking butt again with the Switch and DSs, so I'm guessing they're trying to alleviate any shortages of supply with them. I was honestly surprised the minis were selling as well as they did considering how easy it is to emulate and the Virtual Store being a thing.

Chimpbot 09-12-2017 05:27 AM

For what it's worth, Nintendo is going to be producing and shipping SNES Classics well into 2018.

Oh, and remember the NES Classic everyone is bitching about? They're making more of those, too. It should be back in stores for Summer 2018.

Something something artificial scarcity.

ashikenshin 09-12-2017 05:34 AM

ITT people who don't understand artificial scarcity even though it's explained to them multiple times.

Oh and entitlement? do we have a games journalist in here?

Terran 09-12-2017 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackzc (Post 2492542)
So everything needs to be produced based on market demand? This is ridiculous and you know it.

No, that's....well, you know...BUSINESS. It's how businesses make money and survive.

Or, maybe they shouldn't produce products based upon market demand? How ridiculous, right? :confused:

blackzc 09-12-2017 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashikenshin (Post 2492547)
ITT people who don't understand artificial scarcity even though it's explained to them multiple times.

Oh and entitlement? do we have a games journalist in here?

Me not thinking that nintendo is intentionally artificially shorting products doesn't mean i don't understand how it works and therefore i need someone to explain it to me some more.

blackzc 09-12-2017 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran (Post 2492564)
No, that's....well, you know...BUSINESS. It's how businesses make money and survive.

Or, maybe they shouldn't produce products based upon market demand? How ridiculous, right? :confused:

How long do you think nintendo survives only thinking about profits every time.

I know you think you want to see $3 Mario games in the bargain bin from selling everything as cheap as possible to make a quick buck, but you don't. Those companies tend to go out of business, or get bought up by EA. Then killed off later.

Terran 09-12-2017 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackzc (Post 2492621)
How long do you think nintendo survives only thinking about profits every time.

How long does a business survive if it doesn't? :confused:

ElektroDragon 09-12-2017 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackzc (Post 2492520)

People who call others entitled are actually the biggest whining liberal commies out there. Way to be a hypocrite there.

Also Nintendo could fix this simply.... issue vouchers for the right to buy ONE console direct from them at normal price to everyone with a Nintendo account. Make it expire in 30 days after launch or something. Any other purchases are normal retail channel.

Hellstorm 09-12-2017 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElektroDragon (Post 2492628)
Way to be a hypocrite there.

To be fair Elektro, you did swear that you would never buy a Switch... and then bought one. So... :D