Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New Venom Trailer Takes a Bite out of Crime (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254994)

Evil Avatar 07-31-2018 05:28 PM

New Venom Trailer Takes a Bite out of Crime

vallor 07-31-2018 06:35 PM

Love the end bit. Not sure I'm sold on the rest but it's just before my Moviepass expires so I may as well see it (if they are still around and letting people use the thing to see movies).

I still think Hardy is channeling Sean Penn's Harvey Milk from the movie Milk with that accent. It is very annoying.

Azzy 08-01-2018 01:29 AM

That Green Lantern bullshit has to go. Venom should be incredible on his own, instead it's just a vein suit fighting other vein suits that do Green Lantern shit.
Dumb.

LostToys 08-01-2018 03:12 AM

Each trailer is making this look worse and worse. I may just see it now just to watch this film wreck itself.

Wizzkidd 08-01-2018 03:26 AM

Venom has been one of my favorite comic book characters since he came out in the early 90's from Todd McFarlane. I still have Venom #1 with the red foil cover, it's hanging on my wall!

Not sure about this movie. I'm not a big fan of Tom Hardy, but I respect his career. I also don't like the common Black Panther/Iron Man ending where the villain is just another copy of the hero. If it was Carnage that'd be different. I cancelled Moviepass because they suck now, but I got the AMC A-List so I'll probably see it. But I'm not feeling too optimistic right now.

Scherge 08-01-2018 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wizzkidd (Post 2518290)
I also don't like the common Black Panther/Iron Man ending where the villain is just another copy of the hero. If it was Carnage that'd be different.

Same here. I understand that it's part of a super hero origin story (destroy the facility that made you, or they'll make countless others - see "Captain America", "Ant-Man"), but wasn't that the great thing about the symbiote? It came from another world, it was established by Spider-Man, one of Marvel's best-known heroes, and then took on a life of its own as Venom. This is part of what made Carnage so creepy, because it became obvious that the symbiote could have bad/worse offspring (see also: "Gremlins":-).

Taking this uniqueness away from Venom and making him just another dumb science-project-gone-wrong really irks me. Besides, I really preferred the stories where Eddie Brock was more in charge of the team. I personally find it very hard to relate to a man-eating monster from space (or wherever)...

shadow763 08-01-2018 04:40 AM

I can't handle Tom Hardy. Why do they keep putting him in things? Also, he just reminds me of Bane in a lot of what I see him in.

Chimpbot 08-01-2018 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azzy (Post 2518285)
That Green Lantern bullshit has to go. Venom should be incredible on his own, instead it's just a vein suit fighting other vein suits that do Green Lantern shit.
Dumb.

Nothing I saw in the trailer felt like "Green Lantern shit", unless you're referring to the copious amounts of CGI (which is necessary, in this case, due to the character). I didn't see anything strange or out of the ordinary for Venom, in terms of what the symbiotes did.

Aside from changing the character's origin, this actually looks like a pretty good adaptation, so far. This looks and feels like Venom to this guy who grew up in the 90's obsessed with the character.

Chief Smash 08-01-2018 06:48 AM

Eh it looks fine to me though I do share the reservations that some of you have with yet another hero who has to fight a dark version of himself. As for liking it better when Brock is in control, I wouldn't be surprised if that's really the major arc of the character in this movie. By the end, he probably will be mostly in control and that will be his big victory.

Ghostblaze 08-01-2018 10:07 AM

Whoohooo all aboard the hype train!

Mad Max RW 08-01-2018 01:01 PM

Looks ok. Venom is perfect minus the white spider symbol. They got the character down. The setting and everything else seems so generic.

NACIONAL 08-01-2018 02:38 PM

THe CGI seems.... Off

I can't put a finger on what it is , but it feels fake.

Skunk 08-01-2018 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow763 (Post 2518297)
I can't handle Tom Hardy. Why do they keep putting him in things? Also, he just reminds me of Bane in a lot of what I see him in.

Because most people think he is amazing and you're in the distinct minority.

Primus 08-01-2018 08:33 PM

I think it looks pretty shitty, and this was always going to be an uphill battle since Sony decided to do without the dynamics that make Venom interesting as an antihero. I just don't see this being good without Spider-Man.

Also, what the fuck accent did Tom Hardy make up for this role?

Apex 08-02-2018 11:03 AM

Been waiting for a Venom film for ages and Tom Hardy is awesome.

Please be good!

Phoenix1985 08-05-2018 08:40 AM

This is the first trailer for the movie I've actually enjoyed watching. Bit let down by the plot shown, but the character of Venom seems to be nailed pretty well. And the fact they are outright talking about it eating people in that kind of way is sort of amazing, given how only Deadpool so far has been all that violent in anything Marvel-related (movie-wise).

Chimpbot 08-05-2018 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phoenix1985 (Post 2518551)
This is the first trailer for the movie I've actually enjoyed watching. Bit let down by the plot shown, but the character of Venom seems to be nailed pretty well. And the fact they are outright talking about it eating people in that kind of way is sort of amazing, given how only Deadpool so far has been all that violent in anything Marvel-related (movie-wise).

Everyone forgets about Blade so easily and/or quickly.

MadMurdock_0311 08-06-2018 09:17 PM

Venom has always been one of my favorite comic characters. That said, I'm thinking that this movie is going to suck. I hate that it's not part of the Spider-Man universe, and Tom Hardy's acting seems pretty bad in these trailers.

I just hope that it doesn't suck too much.