Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Multiple Diablo Projects Are In The Works (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255169)

Evil Avatar 08-08-2018 08:41 PM

Multiple Diablo Projects Are In The Works

Quote:

Blizzard has dropped some news on Twitter regarding the dungeon-crawling Diablo series. In addition to saying it would continue using themes for future seasons of Diablo III, community manager Brandy Camel said in a video that Blizzard is currently working on multiple other Diablo projects.

"The forges here at Blizzard are burning hot, and we have multiple Diablo projects in the works," Camel said. "Some of them are going to take longer than others, but we may have some things to show you later this year."
Gamespot.

I was just about to start playing this one again. Crazy that they are up to like Season 14.

Arkarian 08-08-2018 08:46 PM

Still play seasons and loving it.

Mozgus 08-09-2018 03:03 AM

I did like 4 random seasons and I think I'm good. They really dont change much. Necro was a damn good ride, even if my build ended up not being about using any minions. That bone tornado is brutal.

Terran 08-09-2018 06:38 AM

The end game isn't substantial enough to keep anyone but the most hardcore going. I left about a year ago. The builds are not diverse enough, either. You have a couple cookie-cutter templates for each class that are viable and that's it.

I've been playing Path of Exile since I left D3 and the end game in PoE is probably too difficult, lol. Great game, but quite complex. Never spent so much time off line with a build as I have in PoE.

Chief Smash 08-09-2018 08:52 AM

I haven't heard it specifically in reference to PoE but I've heard some devs refer to very complex talent systems as having "illusion of choice" as there really aren't always lots of valid builds even though there are tons of choices. Do you feel this holds true for PoE? I feel like people love PoE partially just as a reaction of D3 but I really don't have much experience with the game so I'm curious what a PoE player might think about it.

Chimpbot 08-09-2018 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Smash (Post 2518825)
I haven't heard it specifically in reference to PoE but I've heard some devs refer to very complex talent systems as having "illusion of choice" as there really aren't always lots of valid builds even though there are tons of choices. Do you feel this holds true for PoE? I feel like people love PoE partially just as a reaction of D3 but I really don't have much experience with the game so I'm curious what a PoE player might think about it.

Personally, I'd agree with that notion. It was absolutely present in D2, for example; there were tons of ways you could spend your points and build your character...but only a handful were legitimately viable for any real length of time.

Terran 08-09-2018 09:58 AM

Quote:

I've heard some devs refer to very complex talent systems as having "illusion of choice" as there really aren't always lots of valid builds even though there are tons of choices. Do you feel this holds true for PoE?

I have played the crap out of both D3 and PoE and love them both. That said, your statement is absolutely true. The first recommendation newbies get is to "follow a build" because, just as in D3, there are lots of options but most of them aren't really viable end game, and many aren't even viable mid-game or early game. If you screw up your tree and/or gear, you will die a lot. Tree screwups are costly to undo as well (unless you wait for the next major patch for a free reset every several months).

* There is a HUGE skill tree, but you have to be very focused on what your build requires or you'll just end up dead all the time.

* There are tons of unique and rare items. Unfortunately, most of the unique items are just garbage (vendorware). Rares are a bit better but only with a particular combination of mods on them or they're also garbage (vendorware).

* The high end folks seem to think it's super easy to get to millions in dps, but I've found it very, very difficult. The magic recipe for an uber-shaper/elder killer escapes me.

I enjoy both, but I find PoE to be far more frustrating while also deeper. Also, the lack of an Auction House in both (let us post items for in-game-currency sales, please!) makes them both irritating on that point. P2P trading in PoE is a pain in the ass.

actusoul 08-09-2018 01:18 PM

Create Diablo from First Person Perspective. Do something different.

Chimpbot 08-09-2018 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by actusoul (Post 2518843)
Create Diablo from First Person Perspective. Do something different.

...No.

While I don't think expanding upon the basic concept is a bad idea at all, most successful sequels maintain some form of semblance with their predecessors. Starcraft 2 could have been an abysmal failure if it was an FPS when the fanbase wanted another RTS.

Turning Diablo into a Bethesda-like experience isn't the answer.

vallor 08-09-2018 01:50 PM

Loved D3 after reaper of souls. I think they will have learned their lesson so I'm looking forward to it.

PatrickRes9 08-09-2018 04:13 PM

Quote:

I have a fair amount of time in PoE. Not a massive amount. I don't know..maybe 65 hours or so.

That wasn't my experience. I intentionally did not follow any sort of min/max guide, and just went with what I wanted to do, and was having fun and progressing. I never got stuck. I was having fun I got to choose my own gameplay style from a massive set of variations in skills, weapons, and stat emphasis. I never once felt like I had to min/max down to 1 or 2 "correct" builds. That said...I wasn't at "end game". It could be true that once you get further along than 65 hours, you're going to get pinned down to just a few viable builds. I can't speak on that.

I personally highly recommend PoE for that freedom of choice, and for many other reasons. It's a great ARPG and better than D3, IMHO. My experience with D3: 1. Wait on the next season. 2. Get the next gear set from said season 3. Go as far as you can into the nephalem rifts or until you get tired of progressing it 4. Put the game away and wait until the next season. 5 Repeat.

Terran 08-09-2018 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 (Post 2518856)
That said...I wasn't at "end game".

That's why you didn't get 'stuck.' Where did you finish at? Tier 16 maps? Atziri? Uber Atziri? Shaper/Elder? Uber Shaper/Elder?

I'd be surprised if you were able to complete T16 maps, let alone any of the rest of the end game, just winging a build through the tree.

I am really curious how far you got on the atlas, though. Would love to hear that.

wunshot 08-09-2018 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran (Post 2518858)
That's why you didn't get 'stuck.' Where did you finish at? Tier 16 maps? Atziri? Uber Atziri? Shaper/Elder? Uber Shaper/Elder?

I'd be surprised if you were able to complete T16 maps, let alone any of the rest of the end game, just winging a build through the tree.

I am really curious how far you got on the atlas, though. Would love to hear that.

I played this non-stop last year and loved it. That being said, even with the atlas changes there wasn't enough end-game content to keep my interest. I had a Atziri's Disfavor Cyclone build that would just melt the shaper (didn't create the build myself). I just wish there were more randomized roguelike elements to keep me interested. I couldn't find any reason to grind the maps as interesting loot never dropped.

wunshot 08-09-2018 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wunshot (Post 2518860)
I played this non-stop last year and loved it. That being said, even with the atlas changes there wasn't enough end-game content to keep my interest. I had a Atziri's Disfavor Cyclone build that would just melt the shaper (didn't create the build myself). I just wish there were more randomized roguelike elements to keep me interested. I couldn't find any reason to grind the maps as interesting loot never dropped.

Wow. Ask and you shall receive. :)

https://www.pcgamer.com/path-of-exile-delve/

vallor 08-10-2018 12:25 PM

Delves in PoE seem awesome. Too bad I can't get into the game; not sure why since I am usually a sucker for the Diablo style game types.

I think it's because the game just looks so ugly and the classes don't appeal to me.