Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Dracarys: Thoughts on the new Game of Thrones S08E05 (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260463)

Evil Avatar 05-13-2019 08:03 AM

Dracarys: Thoughts on the new Game of Thrones S08E05

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...e25c63fa_z.jpg

This is a total spoiler thread so if you don't want the new episode spoiled, KEEP OUT.

Evil Avatar 05-13-2019 08:05 AM

I enjoyed the bit of a dark turn, but as I said in the other thread I don't think we had much to lose here. We knew that Cersei didn't have a big enough army to take on the Unsullied and a Dragon and that this was pretty much going to be over the second things started burning.

I did dig the nod to all the wildfire stored under the city, as sections went up in green flames. That was a nice touch.

I thought Cleganebowl was pretty dull. Should have had a better ending for sure.

It wasn't a bad episode overall, it just seemed kinda "Meh".

Chimpbot 05-13-2019 08:45 AM

My favorite part is watching the aftermath; so many Dany fangirls are freaking out over her inevitable heel turn. It reminds me of when Hulk Hogan joined the nWo back in the 90's.

Julio 05-13-2019 08:51 AM

I hated Arya's plot armor, and Jaime's character arc going to shit.

Kinda wish someone would have killed Cersei in a more painful way.

The rest was pretty good.

Came into it with my expectations really low after watching this season go to crap and came out pretty satisfied with this one. It single handedly saved the season for me.

BalekFekete 05-13-2019 10:09 AM

Completely pissed off that Cercie got off so bloody easy. She needed to die in a horrific way in payment for the hell she spread over the prior 7 seasons. I would have been totally on board to have Jamie and herself down in the crypt, and it all come caving in crushing Jamie in the process. She'd have to watch him die and then be trapped there to die afterwards be it from thirst, another cave in, whatever. That would have left me feeling a lot better of that arc.

Can't wait to see Dany get taken out as I've grown to dislike her as much as, if not more than Cercie at this point. The whole fulfillment of the Mad Queen could be seen from miles away, so that didn't have all that much of an effect, but will say the brief pause she gave at the ringing of the bells was almost a step towards redemption. Then she went all batshit crazy, so that disappeared quickly.

Cleganebowl...meh. It was ok, but would have really loved a more drawn out battle or in a more open area. Best part of that sequence was Qyburn's death...literally LOL'd. Worst part was when Cercie just walked by Sandor like she was walking to hit the bathroom. One sword swipe. That's all it would have taken. I get he had tunnel vision going...but not that bad!

Best moments were with Tyrion, first at the death of Varys. You could see he was really torn up by that, and rightfully so since he believed Varys truly was in it for the right reason, and in a large way he agreed with him. Then, and most poignant, was his rescue of Jamie. That brotherly embrace, knowing they wouldn't see each other again, was great.

brandonjclark 05-13-2019 10:20 AM

Fuck this episode.

Khaleesi for lyyyyfe

MADxMrMike 05-13-2019 11:08 AM

I think Dany behaved as she always behaved. She has always been an egotistical character who believed her way was the only true way to "save" Westeros. She ALWAYS had advisers in her ear to help her reign in her tantrums. She is pretty much a spoiled brat the entire show if you look back on it. Strong? Yeah for sure. But still... I dont know.. bratty? haha So now that she has no one to counter her she just lets loose. Lets her emotions take her and it costs an entire city and innocent lives.

It's why Jon is better deserving of the throne(still not saying he should sit on it because the guy is a rock sometimes), but better. At least he has a moral compass and compassion for people even if he is the lone warrior fighting by himself. If it was Jon sitting up there on that dragon, and he lost everything like Dany, he wouldn't have done what she did.

brandonjclark 05-13-2019 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MADxMrMike (Post 2537344)
I think Dany behaved as she always behaved. She has always been an egotistical character who believed her way was the only true way to "save" Westeros. She ALWAYS had advisers in her ear to help her reign in her tantrums. She is pretty much a spoiled brat the entire show if you look back on it. Strong? Yeah for sure. But still... I dont know.. bratty? haha So now that she has no one to counter her she just lets loose. Lets her emotions take her and it costs an entire city and innocent lives.

It's why Jon is better deserving of the throne(still not saying he should sit on it because the guy is a rock sometimes), but better. At least he has a moral compass and compassion for people even if he is the lone warrior fighting by himself. If it was Jon sitting up there on that dragon, and he lost everything like Dany, he wouldn't have done what she did.

Taking out the 2nd dragon makes sense now, because if it was around Jon would've put a stop to the carnage.

I would've liked to see Dany crying or screaming or cry-screaming when she was burning them though.

Cersei also just stared for most of the episode, wtf. I wanted a Cersei-Dany face to face so bad and they robbed us of that.

I know Dany will not sit on the throne for long, and that sucks. I'd rather she just keep it now.

wunshot 05-13-2019 12:15 PM

Yeah....I thought that was really strange that they didn't show Dany's face at all as she murdered everyone in the city. Overall I've enjoyed the season, but this episode wasn't satisfying at all. They ended a bunch of decade long character arcs in really underwhelming ways. Meh...

wildcard 05-13-2019 01:07 PM

Sucked. Who ever is doing the battle scenes is an idiot. So the same fleet that killed a dragon can't kill one more with back up from an entire city wall full of ballista. Had they found a way to mark the ships and walls at night time it would have made sense. The farther they get from the books the worse this show gets(Its still good)

karaliusbronius 05-13-2019 01:22 PM

Episode was pretty incredible. I didn't read the books but I love how everything is coming together. The production value is better than some movies! Dragon looks way better than the graphics of when they were first introduced.

Chief Smash 05-13-2019 02:02 PM

Lots of weak points but I'm glad they jumped off of the Dany bandwagon. She's been a terrible character for a long time now. Seeing the Dany fangirls melt down last night and today was pretty hilarious. They always forgave her for the terrible crap she did since she's a girl but you can't really forgive this one (though I've seen a few people try and blame this on the men in her life.)

Jon is a pansy a lot of the time though so I don't want him on the throne either, if the throne even exists at this point. Put Tyrion in charge of the south and Sansa in charge of the north. I'd like that enough.

Jamie's arc may not be satisfying but it makes sense in a story that's trying to treat its characters realistically. What's more human than falling back into your old sins over and over even when you know you're wrong? Cersei's end was fine I guess but when you go back and watch old episodes, you do want her to die terribly. I guess having everything you ever wanted stripped from you, having your kids all die over the years, and then getting crushed under your own castle is pretty good when you think about it.

Inkabodcrane 05-13-2019 02:52 PM

There are a few nitpicks, like when the Cleganes were fighting, the green screen/lighting looked off. Combined with the Mountain's zombie face it looked like a cheap B movie at times.

The cgi for some of the fire and humans was bad at times.

But I like that they went Mad Queen with Dany. She's always been a boring character to me. When I used to read the books, I started skimming or even skipping her chapters to get back to the good stuff. Yeah, yeah she's the cocky, bratty, spoiled, power hungry, seemingly invincible character, we get it. She's the Fire to the Night King's Ice. The Ice was just far more interesting.

I hope Jon ends up reluctantly on the throne. It represents a choice I myself have thought of throughout life; that people who want to be rulers/leaders of entire countries have something wrong with them. The mindset needed to want that, to think you are so superior to everyone else that you're going to take control of everyone's life. Nah.

But a ruler who doesn't want that power, but everyone else can see would be a great ruler, that's far more interesting. If you never wanted that job, but reluctantly end up in charge it is because those around you put you there. So even if you don't want it, but end up in charge, the same instincts, work ethic, and morals that made everyone choose you will come out when you are ruler.

Anyways, Jon's arc this season has been disappointing for me. I've been looking forward to watching him do cool heroic shit, and every time he gets held back or stuck, unable to do anything about what's going on. Hopefully if he ends up on the throne in the end, its due to him doing something cool, not just being mopey. I can see an ending where he kills Dany and it's supposed to be all emotional and drawn out. I'd prefer not to have that, but I would bet that's what we're going to get.

Terran 05-13-2019 03:01 PM

Loved it. It didn't follow the 'hypothetical' exposition of the plot I had read online at a fan site, one that had sounded quite interesting and probable, involving Jamie killing Cersei, then the face comes off and it's actually Arya. That would have rocked! I think that would have actually been better, but they did a good job.

Cersei dying in the basement under her collapsing kingdom was actually pretty apropos. Folks don't always die in dramatic fashion, that's one of the genius plot devices of the entire series; death can often be sudden or unexceptional and common.

I wasn't surprised the dragon escaped the ballistas. She was prepared for it, unlike the last time when it was a complete surprise. She flew lower than they appeared able to handle from the boats and moved quite quickly and aggressively. They probably could have shown a few tearing a hole here or there through the dragon's wings to show the danger, but how they handled it was fine.

The destruction of the city wasn't something I expected. I thought the pause before she snapped was interesting. I wasn't sure what she would do.

Jon is a weenie. He's brave, yes, but he tends to get squishy with tough decisions sometimes (not always, but definitely too often to be a solid king).

Melt the throne. Let's see an anarcho syndicalist commune instead. :D

Edit: My post from the other thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran (Post 2537311)
Game of Thrones...lulz.

https://i.imgur.com/6LfT1Er.jpg?1

Crazy! :D

Best tweet I read on the episode:

"Congratulations to King's Landing on their upcoming infrastructure week"

All the feminists triggered by this episode are going to be sooooo much fun. :D

Clancy 05-13-2019 03:10 PM

Cercie isn't dead...she will miraculously escape.

Chief Smash 05-13-2019 03:42 PM

I saw some tweets from Dany fan girls apologizing to “their queen“ and lamenting how the men in her life let her down. Apparently this includes the writers. I’m hoping this was just a little dramatic humor but you never can tell. :D

brandonjclark 05-13-2019 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clancy (Post 2537362)
Cercie isn't dead...she will miraculously escape.

Too many offscreen deaths. SHOW ME Varys getting burned by a dragon FFS. That was a wasted opportunity IMO.

It would've been great to see him melt

Primus 05-13-2019 06:43 PM

Super unsatisfying and I really feel like I have wasted 10 years of my life.

I really hope the books get finished and they are much better written.

Terran 05-13-2019 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Primus (Post 2537375)
I really feel like I have wasted 10 years of my life.

If you're that upset, you may be right. :(

PatrickRes9 05-13-2019 08:47 PM

Uhhhh - wtf. Spoilers much?