Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Downton Abbey Serves Up Record Opening Weekend (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262869)

Evil Avatar 09-23-2019 07:09 AM

Downton Abbey Serves Up Record Opening Weekend

It was a record weekend for Focus Features that saw Downton Abbey not only top the weekend box office, but it became the studio's largest opener ever, topping $30 million.

Here is the Weekend Boxoffice Chart for the weekend of September 20th to September 22nd, 2019.
  1. Downton Abbey $31.0/$31.0
  2. Ad Astra $19.2/$19.2
  3. Rambo: Last Blood $19.0/$19.0
  4. It: Chapter Two $17.2/$179.1
  5. Hustlers $17.0/$62.5
  6. The Lion King $2.5/$537.5
  7. Good Boys $2.5/$77.3
  8. Angel has Fallen $2.4/$64.6
  9. Overcomer $1.5/$31.5
  10. Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw $1.4/$170.6
  11. Dora and the Lost City of Gold $1.2/$58.3
  12. Brittany Runs a Marathon $1.0/$5.3

NACIONAL 09-23-2019 08:55 AM

Looking forward to Ad Astra.. any comments on it yet?

Booda 09-23-2019 09:27 AM

Ad Astra looks good, the overall sound is cool and is scored well. The acting in it however is stiff. The first half of the film is pretty good but the last half could potentially put you to sleep.

It feels like there could be a really good film in there somewhere but the director just couldn't coax it out.

Terran 09-23-2019 12:43 PM

Went with the wife to see Rambo. What a disappointment. They neutered the best part of Rambo, his conflicted character dealing with the darkness within him, and just went with a splatterfest of literally laughable gore. At one point in the closing scene at his compound my wife and I literally laughed at the ridiculousness of the rapid fire deaths.

Yes, Rambo is known for its action and gore. It's also known for having a central character dealing with his own inner demons, and with his attempts at redemption. There's no 'redemption' here, no hope, no interesting character development. It's simply a hyperbolic splatterfest.

Pass. If you must see it, do it on the cheap from home.

On a side note, the lunatics online screaming that it's a MAGA film are completely nutso. There's nothing in this film that is pro or anti any political position. It's simply Rambo retaliating against a set of folks who harm his extended family. There's no MAGA anything in here unless your life is so dominated by political considerations that the rest of your brain has rotted away and been replaced by your primitive tribal brain for or against whatever you want to be for or against. :rolleyes:

excalibur1814 09-23-2019 01:46 PM

I would have thought, at the age of Rambo's character, that some type of peace would have been found. Tortured peace, but peace nonetheless. He's a killing machine and he knows he is. No need to further the angst. Plus, the urban dictionaries need to update their description(s) of MAGA. :)

vallor 09-23-2019 03:35 PM

I never understood Downton Abby. I was looking forward to Rambo but it sounds like a skip.

I had high hopes for Ad Astra until I heard the bit about how it takes part of it's plot based on the evils of toxic masculinity.

Looks like I get to save more money!

TheHulk 09-23-2019 07:28 PM

I don’t know one person that’s ever watched Downton Abbey.

Inkabodcrane 09-23-2019 07:46 PM

I watched both Rambo and Ad Astra.

Rambo was not as good as the last one, which I was surprised at how much I liked. This one, is okay(?). The beginning felt like a TV show. As Excaliber above was wondering, yes, he had found peace and happiness with his (adopted? extended? They never clarify.) family (Who was the older Mexican lady living in his house? His wife? I still don't know). It was also sort of slow, it didn't flow very well. There was a surprising emotional scene in the middle, and the end was a fun gorefest. My wife and I laughed when we saw a 60-ish year old lady who went to see it alone get up and leave during the final kill, which was something out of Saw or Mortal Kombat. Still, it was more disappointing than anything else.

Ad Astra starts very good, the opening scene is awesome and the unfolding plot is quite interesting. The various locations (space station, the Moon, Mars, Neptune) are all absolutely beautiful. along the way, however, it gets a bit strange and loses track, there was a fun but random space "animal" scene that felt crammed in just to have some action. The end lacks any gravitas or meaning, and you're left feeling unsure about how you feel about the whole thing. Its definitely a looker, and has some awesome scenes, but it felt like it was trying to have an impactful tone more than a fulfilling narrative.

Evil Avatar 09-23-2019 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheHulk (Post 2544739)
I donít know one person thatís ever watched Downton Abbey.

I have watched them all. Pretty standard soap opera fare.

Chief Smash 09-24-2019 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2544753)
I have watched them all. Pretty standard soap opera fare.

I was sick on the couch last winter and watched a few at the recommendation of my folks. I was almost embarrassed at how much I enjoyed them. Not enough that I'd go see the movie but it seemed well acted to me. I think the Brits get acting right. It seems that they see if you can act first and then they hope you also happen to be good looking. In the US, it's the opposite.

Chief Smash 09-25-2019 07:08 AM

I saw Last Blood last night and the setting low expectations thing worked again. I thought it was a fun movie. Ultra gory and not exactly deep but I had a good time. It was less of a Rambo movie than the last one but that didn't bother me too much.

PatrickRes9 09-25-2019 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Smash (Post 2544760)
I was sick on the couch last winter and watched a few at the recommendation of my folks. I was almost embarrassed at how much I enjoyed them. Not enough that I'd go see the movie but it seemed well acted to me. I think the Brits get acting right. It seems that they see if you can act first and then they hope you also happen to be good looking. In the US, it's the opposite.

Let's cuddle by the fire in our robes and watch soaps together while eating Ben & Jerry's!