Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Xbox One Keyboard and Mouse Support Coming Soon (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248248)

BeardedSonOfNel 09-09-2017 01:23 PM

Xbox One Keyboard and Mouse Support Coming Soon

Quote:

Speaking at this year's PAX West, Ybarra reiterated that "keyboard and mouse support is defintely coming." However, given the concern many have over how that will affect online balance, he adds, "we have to be very smart in how we do that."

"A lot of people tweet me and say ‘you can’t do this’ because of fairness," Ybarra admits. "We understand that; we run two platforms - the windows platform, the Xbox platform. When we bring keyboard and mouse we’ll coach developers and say ‘look you’ve got to think about your multiplayer pools.’ If you have a competitive game people probably are going to want the choice to say ‘I’ll play with only keyboard and mouse people, I’ll play with only controller people, or you know what, I’ll play with any of those.'"
Via GamesRadar

UnderHero5 09-09-2017 11:39 PM

I don't own a Xbone, and don't plan to. I will always prefer keyboard and mouse for shooters. That said, this seems like a terrible idea and a great way to further split multiplayer user bases on console, because map packs weren't enough, now they will be further split by control methods. Bad idea, imo.

Most console players didn't buy consoles to play with K/M, and K/M won't bring many PC players to console... so what percentage of players is this aiming for? A tiny vocal minority? I think it will do more harm than good.

Azzy 09-10-2017 01:02 AM

meanwhile.. PC gaming is dead.

six months, X-Monitor!
seven months, PS-Desk!

wildcard 09-10-2017 05:31 AM

I have been waiting for this for a while. Should allow a lot more game to come over to the console: RTS, Simulation. As for fairness, I wouldn't worry about it. I play well with either (BF3). Twitch shooters (UT) that don't penalize aim for faster gun movement are the bigger concern. Between aim assist and client side hit detection on most shooters nowadays It will negate a lot of any advantage. God forbid people learn how to find good servers, or play with a small handicap (challenge is good). Suck it up snowflakes.

Mojopin 09-10-2017 08:36 AM

Yeah, good luck with that. I'll play on my PC if I want to use a mouse and keyboard (plus better graphics, etc...) and I'll stick with PS4 (console exclusives and games my friends are playing) where there is an even playing field across the board, minus the very occasional XIM user.

shadow763 09-10-2017 09:11 AM

Mouse and keyboard was on the PS3 last generation as well. It was kind of not a big deal. It was fun to do from time to time, but more a pain in the ass to setup in my living room vs just using controller and being lazy on the couch. Support on there was small though. I personally am not interested on console with that ability, but if it is available and supported in enough games, it may catch on with a small subset of people.

ashikenshin 09-10-2017 11:06 AM

K&M made me not suck at Dust 514 on the ps3. If a lot of xbonex exclusives use this and they are not terrible, I might have to get one. Chances of that happening are very slim

Paranoia 09-10-2017 11:37 AM

K/M on Xbone just kills gaming on couch experience not to mention unfair advantage.

excalibur1814 09-10-2017 01:24 PM

K/m is something that should be available on ALL consoles. Why castrate the ability to do something that's pretty useful? Note\cut\spite\face etc. People will still use a controller BUT each game should somehow state K+M vs controller otherwise fps will be one sided.

excalibur1814 09-10-2017 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paranoia (Post 2492404)
K/M on Xbone just kills gaming on couch experience not to mention unfair advantage.

A: Don't use it then
B: It's too early to say how they'll implement it.

BeardedSonOfNel 09-10-2017 04:31 PM

It would be nice to use for making game mods, maybe a nice mouse/kb function for Netflix, Amazon, ect...

Also someone said it would be nice for RTS games as well.

Dag-Sabot 09-10-2017 04:48 PM

Just a way to sell some useless peripherals.

Major Dan 09-10-2017 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dag-Sabot (Post 2492414)

This is true. But some may find it 'not useless'. I know strange. Your mileage may vary. Such an appropriate (appapro) phrase.

BTW, love your sig.

DeluxE 09-11-2017 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dag-Sabot (Post 2492414)

Unless it really is just "support", i.e. you can use any USB keyboard and mouse. I would certainly try that out, (duh, FREE) and who knows, could be a cool feature.

It's obviously cool to have the choice, isn't it? PC players have the choice of using a controller if they like - what's the difference?

Dag-Sabot 09-11-2017 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeluxE (Post 2492448)
what's the difference?

To sell you some peripherals. Which you may or may not find to be a waste of money.

Primus 09-11-2017 03:59 PM

It is pretty hilarious when companies do something that is pretty pro-consumer and they get shit on over it.

This will be pretty good in support of the game anywhere initiative (another pretty pro-consumer move by MS). Some of their games, like Sea of Thieves, are going to have shared servers, so adding mouse and keyboard for multiplayer makes sense.

DeluxE 09-11-2017 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Primus (Post 2492509)
It is pretty hilarious when companies do something that is pretty pro-consumer and they get shit on over it.

This will be pretty good in support of the game anywhere initiative (another pretty pro-consumer move by MS). Some of their games, like Sea of Thieves, are going to have shared servers, so adding mouse and keyboard for multiplayer makes sense.

Exactly.

I'm hoping they allow us to use any USB mouse/keyboard, but even if they didn't, it would still be a CHOICE, so I really don't see why people would be upset about it...

Primus 09-11-2017 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeluxE (Post 2492511)
Exactly.

I'm hoping they allow us to use any USB mouse/keyboard, but even if they didn't, it would still be a CHOICE, so I really don't see why people would be upset about it...

I'm sure they will. If this was all about "selling peripherals" they would have sold mandatory, proprietary (and much more expensive than KB&M) external HDDs as well.

Like you said, this is about choice, and trying to spin it as a negative is just idiotic.

zeonxavier 09-11-2017 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow763 (Post 2492394)
Mouse and keyboard was on the PS3 last generation as well. It was kind of not a big deal. It was fun to do from time to time, but more a pain in the ass to setup in my living room vs just using controller...

Heck, it was even on the PS2. A basic USB mouse and keyboard were my companions for the ported versions of Deus Ex and Unreal Tournament. Good times, man.

Misanthropist 09-12-2017 02:50 PM

some people are better with a joystick, some are better with a keyboard and mouse. I see no "unfair" advantage using one method or another, people need to stop being sore losers and understand that everyone is still playing the same damn game. I prefer keyboard and mouse for competitive play, but i love using controllers for most of my games, steam controller included.