Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Anthem Sells Worse than Mass Effect Andromeda (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258975)

Evil Avatar 02-25-2019 05:05 PM

Anthem Sells Worse than Mass Effect Andromeda

Quote:

EA and BioWare’s Anthem has had a terrible launch. Its reviews haven’t been kind, there’s been a lot of flack from gamers and outlets about the loading screens and terrible mission design, and a sponsored YouTuber said he had been blacklisted for posting an “honest” review. While we were all concerned about it being a Destiny clone with no story despite BioWare promising it would be an “emotional shooter”, we didn’t expect it to perform worse than Mass Effect: Andromeda. Yet, according to Eurogamer, its physical sales are only half of Andromeda’s.

Per Eurogamer, Anthem topped the UK physical sales chart during its launch week, but with only half the boxed game sales of Mass Effect Andromeda. Although this doesn’t take into consideration digital sales through EA’s Origin service on PC, or download sales on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, it’s still alarming as Mass Effect Andromeda only managed half the launch week sales of Mass Effect 3.

Anthem’s opening weekend physical sales were also lower than Kingdom Hearts 3 and Capcom’s Resident Evil 2 Remake, and only “roughly a quarter of Destiny 2’s week one physical total from back in September 2017”.
HITC.com.

SpectralThundr 02-25-2019 05:17 PM

Saw that coming, I'll say it again, if Dragon Age 4 flops due to extreme SJW'ism pushed in the narrative and it might from what I've read, Bioware is done, that's if EA doesn't shutter them before that even ships.

Mad Max RW 02-25-2019 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralThundr (Post 2531501)
Saw that coming, I'll say it again, if Dragon Age 4 flops due to extreme SJW'ism pushed in the narrative and it might from what I've read, Bioware is done, that's if EA doesn't shutter them before that even ships.

With EA's track record I don't think Bioware will be given the chance to complete development.

Primus 02-25-2019 05:42 PM

I'm really enjoying it with a pretty big group of my friends (we're all American though). I hope digital+the US picks up the slack as it would be a shame if further development for this halts.

Evil Avatar 02-25-2019 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max RW (Post 2531502)
With EA's track record I don't think Bioware will be given the chance to complete development.

I tend to agree. This is their second AAA budget title to flop in a row. I'm not sure EA will feel like funding them for a third title, even if that title is already in development.

Unless Dragon Age is really far along in development, I wouldn't be shocked if BioWare just disappears before the end of the year.

SpectralThundr 02-25-2019 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2531505)
I tend to agree. This is their second AAA budget title to flop in a row. I'm not sure EA will feel like funding them for a third title, even if that title is already in development.

Unless Dragon Age is really far along in development, I wouldn't be shocked if BioWare just disappears before the end of the year.

It's not, it just started production not that long ago.

vallor 02-25-2019 06:26 PM

It isn't a Destiny Clone; if it were a Destiny Clone that would be an upgrade to the game it actually is. Anthem is actually a pretty weak entry into the Looter Shooter genre and I will end up getting Division 2 when it comes out as a quick replacement for this game.

Anthem has combat and visuals nailed; I mean the combat loop is fucking amazballs, and maybe one of the best, smoothest I've ever played. The world is a masterpiece and something to behold. Particles, animations, textures, lighting... it is all used with the skill of a master craftsman. It is the best world building Bioware has ever done. And while it is small the fact that it is seamless and contiguous is an achievement.

Which is probably why there are usually only 3 or 4 people per "free roam" instance. They must already be stressing the systems so much with the lush visuals to put more in the way of assets and people into the area would cause huge performance issues.

The acting and voice work is great on the main characters though the background characters and chatter could use some work. Fort Tarsis, the main hub is way too small for an "RPG" basically a couple rooms and half-a-dozen key NPCs which seems limited for a Bioware game.

The Frostbite engine has never looked so good. It is silky smooth on my machine which is a few years old but runs around 50 - 60FPS on a 1070 on Ultra settings.

In the meantime it's users to suffer A LOT then dumps them on the other side of the campaign with little to no reason to say engaged. It just depends on how high your pain tolerance is for that beautiful combat loop.

It is worth $14.99 on EA Premier for the 20 hours of fairly rigorous play to get through the story. If you paid more you paid too much.

They couldn't even get co-op/saving/loading/persistence right. When you load into a mission or Free Roam from the beginning to the end of the mission NO PROGRESS IS SAVED. It only saves at the end so if you get disconnected or the session doesn't end for whatever reason, so sorry, you are screwed.

So there I was starting up for Sunday and I invited a friend to my party while he was in Free Play and he got brought into the party but it just closed his session and brought him into my instance without properly ending his session. This caused him to lose all the progress he made during the hour of free play he had done waiting for me. XP, Loot, Mission achievements and progress toward opening the tombs, all of it just gone.

Then when we did Free Roam when I, as the leader of the party, stopped the free roam session there was no prompt for him to also leave free roam and he didn't travel with me. He had to end his session manually and then he got kicked out of the party and I had to re-invite him.

If he left free roam to go back to the base (to look at loot or to "save" because he made progress to a goal) he also got kicked out of the group and I had to leave to save my progress and re-invite.

WHAT A CLUSTERFUCK. How could anyone say this was a QUALITY experience?

I suppose I should take my 5 or 6 posts on the topic and build them into a regular type review.

Skunk 02-25-2019 06:58 PM

Shit like this makes me thankful I play old games repeatedly. I think the "newest" game I have sunk a lot of hours into is last year's Battletech.

brandonjclark 02-25-2019 07:09 PM

Man, what is the biggest driver for Origin Premier now, Battlefield 5?

A once promising service just looks worse and worse.

SpectralThundr 02-25-2019 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skunk (Post 2531510)
Shit like this makes me thankful I play old games repeatedly. I think the "newest" game I have sunk a lot of hours into is last year's Battletech.

I'm the same way mostly now. Though just did preorder Division 2. I have well over 700 hours in Battletech, been taking a break from it. Hundreds of hours into the dragon age titles, cept for 2, it sucked. Hundreds of hours in the first Division. and countless hours in Mech Warrior Online when I was still playing that.

blackzc 02-25-2019 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonjclark (Post 2531511)

I literally for a split second read BF5 and thought, oh a new BF game?

Ive already forgotten about it, BF2 and 4 were so much fun....Oh well. Thanks left wing dipshits...

Mozain 02-25-2019 07:48 PM

Wasn't Andromeda the highest selling Mass Effect despite the reviews?

SpectralThundr 02-25-2019 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mozain (Post 2531517)
Wasn't Andromeda the highest selling Mass Effect despite the reviews?

Not even close, .35 digitally and 2 million hard copies vs the 7 million that ME2 sold.

Mozain 02-25-2019 08:54 PM

Welp, there it is lol.

Mozain 02-25-2019 09:12 PM

Quote:

The answer is Apex Legends lol. 10% off their in game store and you get some of their free Apex-bucks or whatever it is. Though I guess you can get that with basic too.

wunshot 02-25-2019 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skunk (Post 2531510)

I just played through Battletech. Man that game was fun as shit once I got the hang of it.

wunshot 02-25-2019 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralThundr (Post 2531512)
I'm the same way mostly now. Though just did preorder Division 2. I have well over 700 hours in Battletech, been taking a break from it. Hundreds of hours into the dragon age titles, cept for 2, it sucked. Hundreds of hours in the first Division. and countless hours in Mech Warrior Online when I was still playing that.

What can you possibly do after 40 hours in Battletech? I just beat the campaign, and was a little burned out so I didn't check out the flashpoints.

SpectralThundr 02-25-2019 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wunshot (Post 2531534)
What can you possibly do after 40 hours in Battletech? I just beat the campaign, and was a little burned out so I didn't check out the flashpoints.

It's Battletech, that's why, It's an IP I've loved since the 80's along with the Mechwarrior titles and MWO for a good 2 years + It's big stompy robots with huge weapon payloads, what's not to love seriously? Flashpoints were actually pretty awesome, each one is it's own little story with some usually solid loot rewards at the end, be it mechs or lostech (think gauss riffles etc) A few new mechs tossed in as well. They also have a career mode now that is basically you trying to start from scratch without all the rewards of the campaign and seeing how well you can do. It's obviously much harder without those big campaign payouts. There's 2 more expansions coming, Urban warfare this summer which will likely add an urban biodome, and prolly some new mechs and other stuff. And another one later yet to be announced. Then MW5 next this year I believe which has promise.

Wizzkidd 02-26-2019 01:08 AM

Quote:

I got it for BF5. I put over 100 hours into it, but have slowed down lately. I also was glad when they added Darksiders 3 to the lineup, but I haven't spent much time with it. Then there's Anthem, which appears cool at first but for whatever reason it isn't drawing me back in. Crackdown 3 is pulling me back more than Anthem, I would NEVER have guessed I'd be saying that!

Still, $100 for a year of Origin Premier has already paid for itself. We'll see if anything else comes out until next November to keep me in it.

Juan 02-26-2019 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralThundr (Post 2531535)
It's Battletech, that's why, It's an IP I've loved since the 80's along with the Mechwarrior titles and MWO for a good 2 years + It's big stompy robots with huge weapon payloads, what's not to love seriously? Flashpoints were actually pretty awesome, each one is it's own little story with some usually solid loot rewards at the end, be it mechs or lostech (think gauss riffles etc) A few new mechs tossed in as well. They also have a career mode now that is basically you trying to start from scratch without all the rewards of the campaign and seeing how well you can do. It's obviously much harder without those big campaign payouts. There's 2 more expansions coming, Urban warfare this summer which will likely add an urban biodome, and prolly some new mechs and other stuff. And another one later yet to be announced. Then MW5 next this year I believe which has promise.

You claim that all Nintendo titles suck but you put 700 hours into battletech ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.