Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   3D Realms Teasing Quake 1 Engine Shooter (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259197)

Evil Avatar 03-06-2019 04:54 PM

3D Realms Teasing Quake 1 Engine Shooter

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7809/...03be0b03e0.jpg

You will not survive... Reveal tomorrow! #unannouncedQuake1EngineShooter

SpectralThundr 03-06-2019 06:43 PM

Oh yay lets go back to 1996! Developers, STOP THIS SHIT.

Evil Avatar 03-06-2019 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralThundr (Post 2532312)
Oh yay lets go back to 1996! Developers, STOP THIS SHIT.

This is Devolver Digital who purchased the 3D Realms name, so they are a little studio. I think it is a neat idea if done right, I have seen some amazing Quake 1 levels out there.

ministryofwrath 03-06-2019 08:43 PM

Alright, honestly, I think NEW engines that are made to LOOK like old engines and thus have modern effects that look retro are fantastic ideas, bring modern audio for voice acting, and something tangible that keeps me playing other than 'it's retro!" and I"ll buy it.

But if you want to bank on it being retro equals sales, it won't work.

i'd rather go play real retro games, not fake retro games.

That being said I digress, more power to them, but likely not my thing

brandonjclark 03-06-2019 10:15 PM

1996 Kid 1: "Oh man, Quake is so awesome! They'll be using this engine for over 20 years!"

1996 Kid 2: "Don't be stupid."

DingBat 03-06-2019 10:53 PM

I would think it will be difficult to reconcile the razor focused simplicity of Quake and Quake multiplayer with today's generation of gamers and what they've been trained to expect in a FPS.

A few years ago my son was talking smack after mopping the floor with me in Halo deathmatch (I can't aim for crap with a controller). I convinced him to try some Quake 2 deathmatch (where I was a rail gun god). He gained a new appreciation for the mouse/keyboard combination but the game itself was just of passing historical interest. "Too simple".

He's not wrong, just trained to expect different things in a multiplayer game. A game based on Quake will appeal to us older gamers but I suspect it will be a hard sell for younger ones.

Laz 03-07-2019 12:16 AM

Iron Maiden has been fun and it is being made with the build engine. If the game is good people will buy it. I'm sure it isn't going to sell millions, but for what it will cost, it doesn't have to. If it looks fun and the price isn't bad, I'll buy it.

Mad Max RW 03-07-2019 02:37 AM

3D Realms is being run by the unsuccessful modder turned game designer Frederick Schrieber. The mainstream first became aware of him when Gearbox awarded his team a license to develop a modernized Duke 3D shortly before DNF dropped. But he didn’t read the fine print saying it could never have a public release. They cut ties and changed studio names at least once. In the meantime he put out the lackluster Rise of the Triad remake, an abysmal top down shooter that started as a Duke game, some kinda platformer, then acquiring 3D Realms for cheap and putting out the good but far from complete Ion Maiden. Anyway, the point of this short and rough history lesson is be wary of the new 3D Realms. Fred isn’t a piece of shit like Broussard was, but he still comes off as someone whose eyes are bigger than his stomach.

Juan 03-07-2019 02:39 AM

What a stupid fucking idea

VideoMike101 03-07-2019 02:10 PM

Graphics don't make a game. Yes, more intial sales but what's the retention rate?

Juan 03-08-2019 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VideoMike101 (Post 2532399)
Graphics don't make a game. Yes, more intial sales but what's the retention rate?

Graphics do matter, they're not everything but they matter.

People can easily look past simple 2d graphics but in this case, ancient 3d graphics...well that's just fucking stupid, it will look bad.