Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New PS4 Elite-Style Controller Now Available (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256428)

Emabulator 10-08-2018 09:53 AM

New PS4 Elite-Style Controller Now Available

GameSpot has the story.

Quote:

Microsoft makes the Xbox One Elite controller itself, but Sony has always relied on third-party hardware makers to fill in the gap in its PlayStation 4 controller product line. With the Scuf Vantage controller, a new entry in the category has just arrived. It's available now, and you can order one here. Just be warned: it's not cheap.

The default version costs $170. The front of the controller is gray with black accents, plus yellow rings around the analog sticks. But just like another Microsoft offering, you can customize the colors of nearly every part of the controller, from the faceplate and buttons to the D-pad and analog sticks. Custom-designed Scuf Vantage controllers cost an additional $30, and adding a wireless option costs an additional $30.

Why pay that much for a PS4 controller? Because it has a number of features you won't find in a standard DualShock 4 controller. These features are designed to make you a better player, particularly if you enjoy competitive games online. It has anti-friction rings that automatically lubricate the thumbsticks to create a smoother glide. The thumbsticks themselves come in two height options and your choice of domed or concave thumb pads.

Like the Xbox One Elite controller, you can swap out the D-pad with a control disc that's designed to offer easier access to diagonal directions. Finally, you can outfit the rear of the controller with paddle-like triggers that feature adjustable trigger tension. They also come with with optional covers to let you choose exactly how much travel the triggers should have before the button press registers.

hurstshifter 10-08-2018 10:12 AM

Wow, the controller design has been largely the same since the release of PS1 in 1995. I never thought I'd see a 1st party PS controller with such a dramatic design change, but I think most of us would agree that the XB1 controller is ergonomically much better.

Kawika 10-08-2018 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hurstshifter (Post 2522292)
Wow, the controller design has been largely the same since the release of PS1 in 1995. I never thought I'd see a 1st party PS controller with such a dramatic design change, but I think most of us would agree that the XB1 controller is ergonomically much better.

But it is not first party. The company got the license from Sony to make their elite controller. It's still made by Scuf not Sony. Could have Sony bits and bobs in it though.

ElektroDragon 10-08-2018 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kawika (Post 2522294)
But it is not first party. The company got the license from Sony to make their elite controller. It's still made by Scuf not Sony. Could have Sony bits and bobs in it though.

It doesn't and has crud reviews. Sony has been in the habit lately of not creating its own accessories which has resulted in absolute junk accessories, this included. Meanwhile Microsoft thankfully still has a big and high quality first party accessory portfolio. Sony is shooting themselves in the foot here.

LostToys 10-08-2018 02:59 PM

A Playstation controller with the thumbsticks not being on the same horizontal axis = no buy. I really like the PS4 Dual Shock 4 and have retired my Xbox 360 controller as my go to gamepad when playing games. It just feels right.

I absolutely hate the Xbox One controller. The extra height to the thumbsticks and longer, more plastic triggers just turn me off of it.

MadMurdock_0311 10-08-2018 07:45 PM

That you need to pay an extra $30 for wireless/BT capability is ridiculous. Especially on a premium product like this. Pass.