Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Ubisoft Are Giving Away Assassin's Creed IV and World in Conflict This Month On Uplay (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250182)

Emabulator 12-04-2017 04:49 PM

Ubisoft Are Giving Away Assassin's Creed IV and World in Conflict This Month On Uplay

PCGamesN has word that Ubisoft is giving away World in Conflict and Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag for free this month on Uplay.

Quote:

One of the best side bonuses of modern PC gaming is the fact that new games tend to just materialize in your digital distribution account of choice. I couldn’t tell you how I got this copy of Serious Sam 3 if my life depended on it, but I’m sure glad it’s there. Now Ubisoft are offering to expand your library even further as a little holiday gift, and all you have to do is log into Uplay.

Okay, I realize you might be entirely keen on adding Ubisoft’s long-maligned digital distribution service to your regular rotation of game clients, but at least hear ‘em out. Starting now and lasting until December 11, you’ll be able to grab a free copy of the excellent alt-history RTS World in Conflict, along with its Soviet Assault expansion.

Then, from December 12 through December 18, you’ll be able to pick up the pirate-themed Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag for free. You can even pretend you’re pirating it if that makes you feel like more of a high seas scallywag.

ashikenshin 12-04-2017 04:56 PM

Would it be worth it to install their malware? I haven't played black flag but heard the sea combat was amazing.

Emabulator 12-04-2017 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashikenshin (Post 2500459)
Would it be worth it to install their malware? I haven't played black flag but heard the sea combat was amazing.

I have had Uplay installed for years. It's no too bad now. Well, it works, and when you're done playing the game you can exit and forget about it.

LostToys 12-04-2017 05:23 PM

If you have any interest in playing a Ubisoft title, just get used to having Uplay installed. Just like Origin. Just open it when you want to play a game on that platform then close it when you are done. I do this with Origin, Uplay, Steam, GoG, Battle.net, and all other third party game clients.

brandonjclark 12-04-2017 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostToys (Post 2500462)
If you have any interest in playing a Ubisoft title, just get used to having Uplay installed. Just like Origin. Just open it when you want to play a game on that platform then close it when you are done. I do this with Origin, Uplay, Steam, GoG, Battle.net, and all other third party game clients.

Sad, but I get mildly excited when I DON'T have to start a game client to play a game now.

Mad Max RW 12-04-2017 05:55 PM

I turned off all the prompts in the Uplay settings so I don't even realize it exists except for the quick flash of the auto-login window that minimizes to taskbar after launching from Steam. Over time I found it to actually be less intrusive than Steam's random restarts fucking up the screen settings and separate advertising windows always there on each bootup.

Paranoia 12-04-2017 06:18 PM

Love this game. Its the only Assassin's Creed game that I actually complete.

Played it on PS4 so didn't have issue with Uplay.

LostToys 12-04-2017 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonjclark (Post 2500465)
Sad, but I get mildly excited when I DON'T have to start a game client to play a game now.

Unless you pirate your games, you most games will launch with some kind of additional software opening or running silently in the background. At best it just open and never does anything (Origin and GoG are pretty good at this), at worst it prompts you to restart/displays popups (Steam) or eats up what seems like an unreasonable number of resources (Uplay). At least you can disable all of these from opening automatically on startup and all can be completely closed when you no longer want them running and wasting resources/bugging you about what your friends are doing.

brandonjclark 12-04-2017 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostToys (Post 2500469)
Unless you pirate your games, you most games will launch with some kind of additional software opening or running silently in the background. At best it just open and never does anything (Origin and GoG are pretty good at this), at worst it prompts you to restart/displays popups (Steam) or eats up what seems like an unreasonable number of resources (Uplay). At least you can disable all of these from opening automatically on startup and all can be completely closed when you no longer want them running and wasting resources/bugging you about what your friends are doing.

I pirate almost nothing nowadays. GoG rocks!

blackzc 12-04-2017 09:20 PM

Quote:

Its $2 on eaby...

Amazing? I doubt it. Its Ubi Soft.

Phoenix1985 12-05-2017 01:28 AM

World in Conflict is AMAZING and you need to play it.

Tolgar 12-05-2017 07:08 AM

World in conflict is indeed great, but I hear the multiplayer servers are dead and you need to install a workaround.

karaliusbronius 12-05-2017 07:28 AM

Black Flag is definitely my favorite creed game. I was hoping for a sequel but they only announced a ship only game.

wunshot 12-05-2017 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karaliusbronius (Post 2500499)
Black Flag is definitely my favorite creed game. I was hoping for a sequel but they only announced a ship only game.

I think it was everyone's favorite game, including mine. It's shocking they didn't make a quick follow up to it, but instead went back to the tired formula.

Scherge 12-05-2017 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wunshot (Post 2500513)
I think it was everyone's favorite game, including mine.

Not mine. I believe it was more of an American thing...

wunshot 12-05-2017 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scherge (Post 2500517)

I just liked upgrading my pirate ship. :)

GinRummy 12-05-2017 11:43 AM

Unless you really NEED cloud saves it's best to turn them off in Uplay. I had a sync error a while back and lost my saves near the end of a game that "synced" me back several hours. I chose to just uninstall the game, after disabling all cloud saves for the future. Never had that problem in Steam, which is the only game portal that I just leave running when not in a game.

Terran 12-05-2017 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scherge (Post 2500517)

:rolleyes: And only Germans like bratwurst and schnitzel. :rolleyes:

It's the favorite game of those for whom it is the favorite game, and since it was published across many political/national boundaries, I'm sure you'll find a lot of diverse folks who liked it a whole lot, as well as a whole bunch of people who don't care for it or about it.

News at 11.

bub64882 12-07-2017 02:01 PM

Quote:

Black Flag is a total blast. One of the few games I 100%, just because sailing around and exploring was so much fun.

PS: I haven't really played an Assassin's Creed Title besides 1, except this one. The pirate stuff is that good.

MadMurdock_0311 12-07-2017 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bub64882 (Post 2500766)
Black Flag is a total blast. One of the few games I 100%, just because sailing around and exploring was so much fun.

Agreed. I really enjoyed this game.