Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Nobody was expecting it, but that's going to change! (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138449)

Evil Avatar 03-11-2011 06:28 PM

Nobody was expecting it, but that's going to change!

French gaming site NoFrag has the cover art for the next issue of French gaming mag Joystick, with a cover reveal for Prey 2, a property once owned by the now deceased 3D Realms and currently owned by id Software & parent studio Zenimax.

Curiouser and curiouser.

Evil Avatar 03-11-2011 06:29 PM

Can I get a "Fuck You G***** B********!" ?

Figured I would let someone get that out of their system early.

Sensei-X 03-11-2011 06:32 PM

Prey 2? I look forward to picking up a copy on Steam for $3 during next year's Holiday Sale.

Reirue 03-11-2011 06:36 PM

Been a while, but I remember the original Prey honestly being one of the best FPS experiences I had at that period in gaming.
The story sounded astoundingly stupid on paper, but in the game it honestly seemed to work well. I also recall the weapons, graphics, and level design struck me as excellent at the time.
I can safely say I'll keep an eye on this as more details arise.

Anenome 03-11-2011 06:39 PM

Wow, 3D Realms just pawning their entire catalogue, eh? >_>

Sadly, GB is probably still making money off these.

Suicidal ShiZuru 03-11-2011 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reirue (Post 1986636)
Been a while, but I remember the original Prey honestly being one of the best FPS experiences I had at that period in gaming.
The story sounded astoundingly stupid on paper, but in the game it honestly seemed to work well. I also recall the weapons, graphics, and level design struck me as excellent at the time.

Same here... Something about it just felt great. Running everything maxed out was quite nice too. I can still remember a handful of moments from Prey but one that always stuck with me is that damn school bus when the lights cut out and it starts glowing. I have a feeling it didn't age too well but I will be re installing it shortly!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 1986625)
Can I get a "Fuck You G***** B********!"

I heart GB.

Capt_Thad 03-11-2011 06:47 PM

Still have Prey sitting on my shelf. Think I opened it but never installed it. Guess I could get around to changing that.

Suicidal ShiZuru 03-11-2011 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt_Thad (Post 1986643)
Still have Prey sitting on my shelf. Think I opened it but never installed it. Guess I could get around to changing that.

I still have my CE case sitting on top of my desk. From back when CEs werent bullshit cardboard boxes...

Fortyseven 03-11-2011 06:56 PM

Interesting news. Loved the first game.

Wombat 03-11-2011 07:34 PM

I quite liked Prey. The only complaint I would have is that, while they sometimes used the portals in a clever way, all too often it was just a way to spawn enemies behind you.

ElektroDragon 03-11-2011 07:38 PM

Fantastic news, as I loved Prey. One of the few FPS games I bothered to finish. Great story too. Walking on walls was fun. It used an enhanced Doom 3 engine, so it doesn't look dated at all.

ElektroDragon 03-11-2011 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suicidal ShiZuru (Post 1986645)
I still have my CE case sitting on top of my desk. From back when CEs werent bullshit cardboard boxes...

Yep, and I even collected all the metal figurines. Watch those go up in value if Prey 2 becomes a reality.

Fortyseven 03-11-2011 07:53 PM

For those who forget:

I can't hear "Don't Fear the Reaper" without thinking of this game. I love the intro, even if Tommy's voice acting is a bit shit (oh, and he's a disrespectful asshole). The ambiance is nuts. :D

see colon 03-11-2011 07:58 PM

Prey had atmosphere. The intro was one of the best in the genre because of the level of interactivity. You could flush toilets, play arcade machines, watch some TV or change music on the juke box. And then when all hell breaks loose... "Don't fear the reaper" starts playing and beams of light start pulling people through the ceiling.

What kept me interested as well was the Art Bell Coast to Coast segments. They were a really nice touch.

The last news about Prey2 was that it was in development with Human Head doing the deed, but who knows if that changed after Zenimax picked up the rights.

Steve_Erhardt 03-11-2011 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reirue (Post 1986636)

Same here, Prey was a great ride and I enjoyed every minute of it. I'd love a sequel.

TJF33 03-11-2011 08:44 PM

Oh man that don't fear the reaper into was so great. I remember thinking at the time that THIS is how you give a video game great atmosphere.

randir14 03-11-2011 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by see colon (Post 1986664)
Prey had atmosphere. The intro was one of the best in the genre because of the level of interactivity. You could flush toilets, play arcade machines, watch some TV or change music on the juke box. And then when all hell breaks loose... "Don't fear the reaper" starts playing and beams of light start pulling people through the ceiling.

What kept me interested as well was the Art Bell Coast to Coast segments. They were a really nice touch.

The last news about Prey2 was that it was in development with Human Head doing the deed, but who knows if that changed after Zenimax picked up the rights.

There were also radios in the game playing a fake version of Coast to Coast and Art Bell was actually the host, pretty cool.

randir14 03-11-2011 08:57 PM

Err...lol. Guess I should have read your entire post.

spdiscus 03-11-2011 09:13 PM

Funny. I spent the last two weeks thinking the recently-announced The Darkness 2 was a sequel to Prey. Not thinking terribly straight recently, but I have trouble telling these games apart (played both demos, but that's it).

Methos 03-11-2011 09:24 PM

Another +1 for Prey. Picked it up during a GoGamer Madness sale and played it beginning to end in 3 sessions. I'm keeping my eye on this one.