Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Super Mario Odyssey - Game Trailer - Nintendo E3 2017 (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246223)

BeardedSonOfNel 06-13-2017 07:19 PM

Super Mario Odyssey - Game Trailer - Nintendo E3 2017

https://s4.postimg.org/wo5ptd1al/Sup...o-_Odyssey.jpg
Click the headline to watch the trailer!

Quote:

Join Mario on a massive, globe-trotting 3D adventure! Use his incredible new abilities to collect Moons that power up your airship- the Odyssey, and rescue Princess Peach from Bowser’s wedding plans! Super Mario Odyssey launches to Nintendo Switch on October 27, 2017.

BeardedSonOfNel 06-13-2017 07:19 PM

Rommel 06-14-2017 02:26 AM

Oh my God, the visuals even look like Sonic '06.

The gameplay actually looks extremely fun. Not unexpected, since this is the first full-scale 3D Mario game since the Galaxy games.

SpectralThundr 06-14-2017 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rommel (Post 2485873)

The gameplay actually looks extremely fun. Not unexpected, since this is the first full-scale 3D Mario game since the Galaxy games.

In 2017 who wants to play a platformer? This, the Yoshi game they announced, the Kirby game they announced. Who seriously wants 1985 gameplay mechanics in 2017? What am I missing that people still find this shit fun to play?

PatrickRes9 06-14-2017 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rommel (Post 2485873)

Yah, but Rommel, The gameplay actually looks extremely fun. Not unexpected, since this is the first full-scale 3D Mario game since the Galaxy games.

Phoenix1985 06-14-2017 06:39 AM

It looks like fun and it makes me wanna buy a Switch

Metal Jesus 06-14-2017 07:03 AM

Watched some gameplay demo footage from E3, and this is going to be a must buy Day 1. Looks fun as hell.

AlfredT 06-14-2017 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralThundr (Post 2485878)
In 2017 who wants to play a platformer? This, the Yoshi game they announced, the Kirby game they announced. Who seriously wants 1985 gameplay mechanics in 2017? What am I missing that people still find this shit fun to play?

You're missing the fact that everyone doesn't have the same tastes and preferences as you. Its a really fucking hard concept I know.

Proof: Ori and the Blind Forest. According to Moon Studios' Thomas Mahler, Ori and the Blind Forest became profitable for Microsoft within one week of the game's launch on Xbox One and PC; and Gennadiy Korol, co-founder of Moon Studios, said the game was profitable for the studio itself within "a couple of weeks."

GunnSgtHartman 06-14-2017 07:56 AM

Quote:

Weird, I thought you were stuck with a Commodore 64 and an Atari 2600 in your troll cave. When was the last time you got out to see the sun? :confused:

AlfredT 06-14-2017 07:57 AM

Also:

Spelunky, Trine, Fez, Limbo, Inside, Braid, Super Meat Boy, Shovel Knight, Dustforce, Cave Story+ etc...

So yea, many people want to play 2d platformers, metroidvania games etc.,

Metal Jesus 06-14-2017 08:17 AM

Quote:

In 2017 who wants to play a FPS? This, the Destiny 2, Call of Duty WWII, Metroid Prime, Wolfenstein II, Star Wars Battlefront II, Metro, Dishonored, Far Cry game they announced, the Quake Champions game they announced. Who seriously wants 1985 gameplay mechanics in 2017? What am I missing that people still find this shit fun to play?

** I could do this all day... sports games... 3rd person shooters... action games... etc.. **

ashikenshin 06-14-2017 08:28 AM

If it's as good as Mario Sunshine, I'm in. I think I will have enough excuses to purchase a Nintendo Switch in 2019

ElektroDragon 06-14-2017 08:35 AM

Quote:

There's been a resurgence in platformers from especially from indies because all other games have just become interactive movies.

RocketMagnet 06-14-2017 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElektroDragon (Post 2485913)
There's been a resurgence in platformers from especially from indies because all other games have just become interactive movies.

I agree totally, seemingly all we now get is the same few games over and over with new skins and story line.. I'm bored to tears of them and now I do the "pad mash" every time a long drawn out tedious cut scene takes over in the vain hope something allows me to skip it and get back to actually playing the damn game.

So when a company shows off a game and hardly mentions the story line but shows off how much fun it looks like to actually play not just how much money they spent on scripted sequences.. well forgive me if I sit up and take notice ;)

Nintendo really surprised me personally, I had limited expectations but they had the two best games of the show for me.. the Mario Xcom and Odyssey head and shoulders IMO.

Nintendo have clearly changed course and are once again aiming at core gamers.. they even announced they are working on Metroid Prime 4 when one of the main reasons they game there wasn't one sooner is they thought MP was too complex for their target audience... hence the obvious conclusion.

LostToys 06-14-2017 10:12 AM

A lot of the reason why Indy developers are doing platforms and isometric shooters is because it is easier to hide your development limitations. It is much easier to control everything that you see when the camera is fixed, and also allows you to be more "artistic" in your presentation because it does not have to mimic reality as much as AAA titles.

Indy titles are also generally cheaper than AAA titles, so it is an easier sell to the consumer based on gameplay alone. It is much harder to get people to pay retail pricing for what some see as an easy to develop game.

paragondk1 06-14-2017 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlfredT (Post 2485904)
Also:

Spelunky, Trine, Fez, Limbo, Inside, Braid, Super Meat Boy, Shovel Knight, Dustforce, Cave Story+ etc...

So yea, many people want to play 2d platformers, metroidvania games etc.,

It's a great time to be a platformer fan, that's for sure! So many gems!

SpectralThundr 06-14-2017 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metal Jesus (Post 2485907)
In 2017 who wants to play a FPS? This, the Destiny 2, Call of Duty WWII, Metroid Prime, Wolfenstein II, Star Wars Battlefront II, Metro, Dishonored, Far Cry game they announced, the Quake Champions game they announced. Who seriously wants 1985 gameplay mechanics in 2017? What am I missing that people still find this shit fun to play?

** I could do this all day... sports games... 3rd person shooters... action games... etc.. **

You could compare apples to oranges all day long sure, all those genres you mentioned, most of them have evolved mechanics wise. Nintendos platformers have not.

Chimpbot 06-14-2017 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralThundr (Post 2485933)
You could compare apples to oranges all day long sure, all those genres you mentioned, most of them have evolved mechanics wise. Nintendos platformers have not.

How would you know? You haven't actually played one for, what, a couple decades?

Rommel 06-14-2017 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashikenshin (Post 2485910)
If it's as good as Mario Sunshine, I'm in. I think I will have enough excuses to purchase a Nintendo Switch in 2019

You just named the worst Mario.

Metal Jesus 06-14-2017 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralThundr (Post 2485933)

Have you actually played Super Mario 3D Land on either WiiU or 3DS?! Because that had a ton of new ideas. Or are you just looking at game cover artwork, because you sound ignorant.