Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Yooka-Laylee's Nintendo Switch Edition Held Back By Unity Issues (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248640)

Emabulator 09-26-2017 03:05 PM

Yooka-Laylee's Nintendo Switch Edition Held Back By Unity Issues
 

Eurogamer has the story.

Quote:

The long-awaited Nintendo Switch version of Yooka-Laylee is being held back by issues with game engine Unity.

Developer Playtonic's latest blog update on the game blames the long wait so far on Unity needing to update to its latest version, 5.6, in order to solve the the engine's remaining issues.

Now 5.6 is released - but it has introduced new problems instead.

"Although [5.6] has now been released, it has unfortunately introduced other issues which we are working with Unity to resolve before we can submit to Nintendo and lock in our release timeline," Playtonic wrote.

...

Yooka-Laylee was originally designed for release on Wii U, a console which Unity was one of the few major engines to support. But the Wii U died a slow death and Unity stopped supporting it. In time, Yooka-Laylee's Wii U version was dropped, and a Nintendo Switch version entered development instead. The Switch version supports plenty of engines Wii U did not - but by this point Yooka-Laylee was already built using Unity.

There appears to be an issue with Unity on Switch in general. Last week, fellow Kickstarter project Battle Chasers: Night War said it was similarly waiting on a new version of Unity before it could release.

saulob 10-01-2017 05:51 PM

Is that Gru?

http://i1.r7.com/data/files/2C92/94A...20me%20450.jpg

SpectralThundr 10-01-2017 06:04 PM

It couldn't be that the Switch is an underpowered pos to begin with? Naw just keep drinking that Nintendo kool aid eh Pat and Chimpy? ;)

BeardedSonOfNel 10-01-2017 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralThundr (Post 2494217)
It couldn't be that the Switch is an underpowered pos to begin with? Naw just keep drinking that Nintendo kool aid eh Pat and Chimpy? ;)

While I like to bag on Nintendo too, I really do think this has a lot to do with the engine.

Chimpbot 10-02-2017 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralThundr (Post 2494217)
It couldn't be that the Switch is an underpowered pos to begin with? Naw just keep drinking that Nintendo kool aid eh Pat and Chimpy? ;)

If Bethesda can get DOOM and the new Wolfenstein running on the Switch at 60fps, I'd wager the issues are with Unity. Other developers aren't having many issues porting their games.

I'd mention the fact that no one expects it to be on-par with traditional consoles, but that will once again fall on deaf ears because it doesn't line up with your retarded narrative.

Would you prefer it if I argued in a manner you can actually understand? If you'd rather, I can just bellow at the top of my lungs while slapping piles of shit with old issues of Reader's Digest. I'm pretty sure you would find this to be a more agreeable form of communication.

Phoenix1985 10-02-2017 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2494235)
If Bethesda can get DOOM and the new Wolfenstein running on the Switch at 60fps, I'd wager the issues are with Unity. Other developers aren't having many issues porting their games.

I'd mention the fact that no one expects it to be on-par with traditional consoles, but that will once again fall on deaf ears because it doesn't line up with your retarded narrative.

Would you prefer it if I argued in a manner you can actually understand? If you'd rather, I can just bellow at the top of my lungs while slapping piles of shit with old issues of Reader's Digest. I'm pretty sure you would find this to be a more agreeable form of communication.

As someone who has worked with Unity, it can be a real hassle building on some platforms. Especially if they haven't been tested by a lot of developers yet, as is the case with the Switch.

Hardware-wise it shouldn't be a problem. At least not one that couldn't be fixed with some tweaking of levels or textures.

Chimpbot 10-02-2017 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phoenix1985 (Post 2494240)
As someone who has worked with Unity, it can be a real hassle building on some platforms. Especially if they haven't been tested by a lot of developers yet, as is the case with the Switch.

Hardware-wise it shouldn't be a problem. At least not one that couldn't be fixed with some tweaking of levels or textures.

Yeah, but...this doesn't fit the approved narrative!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:13 AM.