Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Watch Dogs Legion, Rainbow Six Quarantine & Gods And Monsters Delayed (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263530)

Evil Avatar 10-24-2019 06:44 PM

Watch Dogs Legion, Rainbow Six Quarantine & Gods And Monsters Delayed

Quote:

Gods & Monsters, Watch Dogs: Legion, and Rainbow Six Quarantine delayed to fiscal year 2020 to 2021

We have decided to postpone the releases of Gods & Monsters, Rainbow Six Quarantine and Watch_Dogs Legion until 2020-21. While each of these games already has a strong identity and high potential, we want our teams to have more development time to ensure that their respective innovations are perfectly implemented so as to deliver optimal experiences for players. This decision will have a very significant impact on our financial results for this fiscal year and goes against our recent successes in building a more stable development model. However, it is in line with our strategy to maximize the future value of our brands for the long-term benefit of our employees, players and shareholders. We expect it to have a positive impact on our financial performance as from 2020-21.
Full Press Release (PDF)

Rommel 10-25-2019 06:29 AM

Game developers are delaying games to maintain quality... WHAT IS GOING ON!?

SpectralThundr 10-25-2019 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rommel (Post 2546879)
Game developers are delaying games to maintain quality... WHAT IS GOING ON!?

Both Div 2 and The Ghost Recon expansion didn't sell as well as Ubi wanted so now they're in panic mode and perhaps questioning if they're cannibalizing themselves due to alot of their titles being very similar, in that most of Ubisoft's entire catalog is open world shooters.

vallor 10-25-2019 06:41 PM

I doubt they are doing it to maintain quality. That is their excuse to silence the masses who gobble it up like the game companies are doing them a favor.

The only one I believe held back for actual quality reasons was the new Doom because they were specific in the notation of why they were pushing the release. And potentially The Last of Us 2 because it has to come out and be super fantastic. The slightest flaw will be harped on forever.

I worked at a publisher and "back in the day"; a big publisher could churn through a 40 titles a year. I suspect many of these are projects where the producers mismanaged the schedules or where feature creep was allowed which blew the schedule out of the water. Them saying "We want them to be higher quality" is only partially true. If the projects had been managed properly I suspect this wouldn't be as big an issue.

I am betting many heads are on the chopping block at Ubi. They don't take failure lightly as we found out during the Assassin's Creed Unity debacle.

If they weren't all so greedy they'd take a look at a reasonable cut list, take down the amount of stuff and charge less for the game. But they need to get the full $70 (+Microtrans) or the executives don't feel like they done their jobs.

ElektroDragon 10-27-2019 10:37 PM

Dudes, think a little, the reason they are being held back is the new console gen. So they won't be the last releases on the old consoles and look like a graphic embarrassment on the new ones. This likely requires some engine changes at minimum.

SpectralThundr 10-28-2019 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElektroDragon (Post 2547027)
Dudes, think a little, the reason they are being held back is the new console gen. So they won't be the last releases on the old consoles and look like a graphic embarrassment on the new ones. This likely requires some engine changes at minimum.

Doubtful, Watch Dogs visually already looks alright. While I don't buy the polish excuse by any means, I doubt it has jack all to do with the PS5 or whatever they're calling the new Xbone. Besides these titles have been in dev awhile now, they're not going to scrap the current gen skus just to toss it on the PS5 or Xbone this far into development.