Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Game of Thrones Showrunners Leave Star Wars (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263585)

Evil Avatar 10-29-2019 08:49 AM

Game of Thrones Showrunners Leave Star Wars

Quote:

The Game of Thrones showrunners are leaving a galaxy far, far away.

David Benioff and Dan Weiss are not going to make the next Star Wars trilogy after all.

The Emmy-winning duo is pulling out of their deal with Lucasfilm to launch the next saga, the first film for which was previously announced to arrive in theaters in 2022. Deadline first announced the scoop which was confirmed by EW Monday night.

Lucasfilm announced Benioff and Weiss were developing a new Star Wars trilogy in February 2018. In August, the duo scored an exclusive multi-year deal to develop programming for Netflix estimated to be worth at least $200 million. A time crunch with their Netflix commitments is said to be the reason the writer-producers have to step aside from Star Wars.

“We love Star Wars,” Benioff and Weiss said in a statement. “When George Lucas built it, he built us too. Getting to talk about Star Wars with him and the current Star Wars team was the thrill of a lifetime, and we will always be indebted to the saga that changed everything. There are only so many hours in the day, and we felt we could not do justice to both Star Wars and our Netflix projects. So we are regretfully stepping away.”

The move is the latest shakeup at Lucasfilm, which has seen its share of creative upheavals among the Star Wars franchise in recent years.

“David Benioff and Dan Weiss are incredible storytellers,” Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy said in a statement. “We hope to include them in the journey forward when they are able to step away from their busy schedule to focus on Star Wars.”

The news comes on the heels of a September announcement that Marvel chief Kevin Feige is developing a Star Wars film.
Entertainment Weekly.

SpectralThundr 10-29-2019 08:58 AM

How does Kathleen Kennedy still have a job?

Chief Smash 10-29-2019 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralThundr (Post 2547099)
How does Kathleen Kennedy still have a job?

She kind of doesn't. She's "resigning" and Feige is taking over her role.

Evil Avatar 10-29-2019 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Smash (Post 2547105)

Amen, Brother. Testify!!!

Chief Smash 10-29-2019 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2547120)
Amen, Brother. Testify!!!

Wait am I wrong about that? I thought I read the news recently but now I can't find anything concrete about her resigning.

Booda 10-29-2019 10:12 AM

https://i.giphy.com/media/wWue0rCDOphOE/200.webp

Sensei-X 10-29-2019 11:18 AM

Quote:

Well she has been in the industry for close to 40 years and is pushing 70, so it's probably closer to retirement than anything. Also, anyone who takes over will be playing by the same rules, and if they don't they'll be replaced by someone who will, so nothing will really change unless the change comes at the executive level.

As for these two assholes "leaving", I'm betting it's closer to them being shown the door and being allowed to say that they left of their own accord. Hopefully it's the GoT mess coming back to bite them in the ass.

Mad Max RW 10-29-2019 11:51 AM

I vaguely recall she is out after the next Indiana Jones.

EL CABONG 10-29-2019 01:07 PM

Enough with the trilogies. Just make some good stand alone star war movies.

NACIONAL 10-29-2019 01:30 PM

Star wars is in shambles right now, massive blacklash against The Last Jedi and his director...and now this: there are various scenarios we can see here:

Either dumb and dumber were shown the door because they are lousy writers which they brought nothing to the table, or they saw the deep shit Kathleen Kenedy has built with the franchise and ran away.

Either way is some good karma for both DnD and Disney for the atrocious treatment of GoT and SW.

wunshot 10-29-2019 03:37 PM

It's actually surprising that both groups parted ways with positive things to say about each other. Rare in today's world.

Evil Avatar 10-29-2019 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NACIONAL (Post 2547149)
Star wars is in shambles right now, massive blacklash against The Last Jedi and his director...and now this: there are various scenarios we can see here:

Either dumb and dumber were shown the door because they are lousy writers which they brought nothing to the table, or they saw the deep shit Kathleen Kenedy has built with the franchise and ran away.

Either way is some good karma for both DnD and Disney for the atrocious treatment of GoT and SW.

I think it was just money. Netflix offered more.

MadMurdock_0311 10-29-2019 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NACIONAL (Post 2547149)
Star wars is in shambles right now, massive blacklash against The Last Jedi and his director...

And yet, SW continues to make millions (billions?). Look, us old folks who grew up on SW pretty much all hate where the series has gone, but just let the next generations have it... it's really not that big of a deal at the end of the day.

ElektroDragon 10-29-2019 11:20 PM

Dammit, they're the only ones who could have saved Star Wars. And what kind of fools pass up the immortality of Star Wars from some stupid me too Netflix show? Dumb.

walstib 10-30-2019 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElektroDragon (Post 2547183)
Dammit, they're the only ones who could have saved Star Wars. And what kind of fools pass up the immortality of Star Wars from some stupid me too Netflix show? Dumb.

The immortality of star wars was sealed in 1983. anything since is but a pale shadow of the former and fading glory that ended with RotJ. (Teddy Bears defeating the empire. *snicker*. i think the Emperor needed to fire the captain of his brain ship because he was asleep at the wheel)

Chief Smash 10-30-2019 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMurdock_0311 (Post 2547180)
And yet, SW continues to make millions (billions?). Look, us old folks who grew up on SW pretty much all hate where the series has gone, but just let the next generations have it... it's really not that big of a deal at the end of the day.

My brother said something similar to me and I agree that this current incarnation probably isn't made for us. But as far as I can see in my life, the next generation isn't hooked on Star Wars either. My kids enjoy playing Battlefront and they really liked Clone Wars. But they barely care about the movies at all. My wife was the one who wanted the family to see Solo. The kids enjoyed it enough but they didn't care all that much. They don't buy the toys. They don't ask for any Star Wars stuff for Christmas or birthdays. And this holds true for all of their cousins and friends too. Sure, it's still very much in the popular consciousness but from everything I see, a lot of the Star Wars mania still comes from our generation. If they lose us then I think they're gone. It seems to me that a lot of the cash made by the Star Wars and now Marvel franchises comes from pure momentum. We sort of take part in both worlds out of habit by now, not because we're getting a great product in return for our money.

NACIONAL 10-30-2019 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Smash (Post 2547199)
My brother said something similar to me and I agree that this current incarnation probably isn't made for us. But as far as I can see in my life, the next generation isn't hooked on Star Wars either. My kids enjoy playing Battlefront and they really liked Clone Wars. But they barely care about the movies at all. My wife was the one who wanted the family to see Solo. The kids enjoyed it enough but they didn't care all that much. They don't buy the toys. They don't ask for any Star Wars stuff for Christmas or birthdays. And this holds true for all of their cousins and friends too. Sure, it's still very much in the popular consciousness but from everything I see, a lot of the Star Wars mania still comes from our generation. If they lose us then I think they're gone. It seems to me that a lot of the cash made by the Star Wars and now Marvel franchises comes from pure momentum. We sort of take part in both worlds out of habit by now, not because we're getting a great product in return for our money.

couldn't have said it better really... tks

Terran 10-30-2019 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Smash (Post 2547199)

Excellent post. I'd like to offer a few insights as to why Star Wars was so important then but has become less so...for anyone who cares to peruse them.

* Star Wars offered special effects (by Industrial Light and Magic...LUCAS!) that were truly groundbreaking. What films since then have had effects that were equally revolutionary? I can think of perhaps only one...Avatar. Star Wars was generationally transformative in its effects.

* Star Wars hit theaters at a time when it was still possible for entertainment offerings to grab and hold a huge percentage of Americans at one time. This is the era of no cable, no Internet, no satellite radio, very little in the way of home video gaming (Atari 2600 same year), etc. Entertainment events like Star Wars could gain huge market share. The final episode of Mash in 1983 had 105 MILLION viewers! The most watched episode of the hugely successful Game of Thrones series? 13 million. Crazy. Different time.

* Star Wars was one of the first movies to market a huge (and hugely successful) set of toy tie-ins. It was unbelievably gigantic, and it is the most successful movie-to-toys series in history. Star Wars began what we now take for granted, with toys from Toy Story, Despicable Me, Frozen, etc., ad nauseum.

* Star Wars offered a Shakespearean scale of conflict, from internal and personal struggles to epic battles between the forces of good and evil. Sure, it had its moral quandaries (so does Shakespeare!), but for the most part it offered a fairly clear view of what was good and what was bad. This was/is popular with normal Americans, but today's Hollyweird isn't having it and as a result they've been busily ruining this aspect of the series.

* I get the sense that Hollyweird is almost embarrassed to have anyone in the audience with any traditional values. They almost take a perverse sense of joy from pissing off a core part of the Star Wars fan base, completely unnecessarily, so they can keep their woke card current. The problem, as you identified, is that the current generation just doesn't care as much. It's one among so many entertainment options for them. It's lost in a sea of stuff, and nothing today can ever truly capture the mindshare that entertainment could capture before the Internet and cable. It's just not possible.

Star Wars (then) captured a generation for a few reasons that will never be replicable for Star Wars (today). Other IP can come along and capture a generation with a different set of circumstances, but Star Wars had its moment and is now riding on momentum (physics, lol), probably until it pisses off enough of its original fan base, or bores them to tears (or combination thereof), enough to kill the franchise or drive it to niche status.

Evil Avatar 10-30-2019 06:56 PM

What is insane is that the reports are that Kathleen Kennedy met with these two knucklehead AND with Rian Johnson.

In what universe would you ever let Rian Johnson near Star Wars again??? He should have been outright fired a year ago after his movie almost destroyed the entire franchise for Disney.

They are so desperate to be woke that they are keeping around the guy who single handedly almost destroyed an entire $4.5 billion franchise???

You can see why they are eager to replace her with Marvel's Kevin Feige.

vallor 10-30-2019 10:01 PM

Quote:

If they fired her, one of the few female executives at Disney and one of the most high profile females in Film right now, there would be a "RRRREEEEEEEEE" the likes of which we might never recover.

Plus who wants to take a job after the previous boss has run it into the ground? Anyone that high level would likely have far easier and maybe more lucrative options thank to take over the shit show Kennedy is leaving with Star Wars.