Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Command & Conquer Remasters Announced (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257139)

Oddmaker 11-14-2018 01:59 PM

Command & Conquer Remasters Announced

Quote:

Fellow Command & Conquer fans,

A month ago, we let the Command & Conquer™ community know we were bringing the franchise back to the PC, starting with a remaster initiative. The reaction from fans has been amazing, with many of you sharing your favorite C&C moments from the past 23 years. We have been reading these comments and listening intently. And now, we are ready to reveal our first PC offering and how your suggestions are already influencing our approach.

Today, I’m thrilled to tell you we are going back to the beginning. We have decided to remaster Command & Conquer: Tiberian Dawn. And while this is incredibly exciting on its own, we’re also aware of how passionate the community is about the Red Alert universe. So, we will also remaster the original Command & Conquer: Red Alert™. But what about the classic expansion packs you may ask - Covert Ops, Counterstrike, and Aftermath? Well, C&C and Red Alert wouldn’t be the same without them, so all three expansion packs will be bundled with the base games into one remastered collection - without microtransactions.

Now, in addition to the excitement and support of this remaster initiative over the past month, there has also been a healthy skepticism that we can pull this off. How are we possibly going to remaster these titles while maintaining the authenticity of the original experiences? Bottom line, there is no better way to achieve this than to partner with some of the talented developers who brought these original games to life.

So, after years of the fans asking for their involvement, I am humbled to announce that EA is going to partner with Petroglyph Games to develop the C&C remastered collection.

Petroglyph Games includes many of the original developers from Westwood Studios, and some of the most influential members of the original Command & Conquer development team from 1995. Joe Bostic is known as the co-creator of C&C, having also served as the Lead Programmer on Tiberian Dawn and Red Alert. Steve Tall joined Joe as a Lead Programmer on Red Alert, and Ted Morris was the original community manager on the C&C franchise. And Mike Legg contributed to all forms of audio systems at Westwood, having been an employee since 1986! All four members helped start Petroglyph Games in 2003 after the closure of Westwood and are joined by a veteran group of RTS developers from the past 15+ years.

On a personal note, I can tell you the past few weeks have been surreal. During my first visit to Petroglyph, I was able to brainstorm “C&C feel” with Joe, reminisce about the jukebox with Mike, and gab with Steve about whether we should fix the Tib Dawn Harvester AI. Getting to chat C&C with the original developers has been one of the highlights of my gamer journey, and I can’t wait for all the incredible conversations to come.

In addition to the fantastic team at Petroglyph, we will also be partnering with Lemon Sky Studios to help bring these original games to 4k glory. Lemon Sky is one of the premier art studios around the world, with a unique specialty in remastering classic RTS titles. After meeting their team and hearing their passion for C&C, we are incredibly lucky to have them team up with Petroglyph to develop the highest quality C&C possible.

The exciting part is that we haven’t started development yet. The community is literally getting in on the ground floor of this project and have every opportunity to help influence how we build this remastered experience. Please continue to engage on Reddit and community channels and help us create the best possible remasters of C&C and Red Alert!

To kick things off, be sure to read the message below from Joe Bostic, and then watch the video at the bottom for one more surprise…

Welcome Back, Commander!

Jim Vessella

Jimtern
More on this announcement here.

Skunk 11-14-2018 07:22 PM

Wow, must suck to drop this a week after the War3 remaster announcement. Just look like a bunch of dweebs now.

LostToys 11-14-2018 07:45 PM

I remain pessimistic, but also optimistic, as these were the two games that defined strategy gaming for me. I was definitely in the Command & Conquer corner while my friends were in the WarCraft corner.

Evil Avatar 11-14-2018 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skunk (Post 2524427)
Wow, must suck to drop this a week after the War3 remaster announcement. Just look like a bunch of dweebs now.

HaHa. I will play both. Good times.

Bring on the Dune 2 remaster!!!

Drake_NS 11-14-2018 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2524432)
HaHa. I will play both. Good times.

Bring on the Dune 2 remaster!!!

You know, I have a Dune 2000 disc around here somewhere...

Evil Avatar 11-14-2018 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drake_NS (Post 2524434)
You know, I have a Dune 2000 disc around here somewhere...

The first real time strategy game. Man, I was obsessed with that game when it came out. I played it pretty much to the exclusion of all other activities except work and sleep (and I mostly gave up on sleep until I beat it).

brandonjclark 11-14-2018 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2524436)
The first real time strategy game. Man, I was obsessed with that game when it came out. I played it pretty much to the exclusion of all other activities except work and sleep (and I mostly gave up on sleep until I beat it).

You and me both, but I played RA2 even more upon it's release. On Westwood Online I was consistently top 500 and even hit top 50 one month. RA2 was my game. Yes, everyone else was playing Warcraft 3, but I just found Westwood's interpretations of RTS better.

I recently bought RA2 YR from GOG and while looking up a 16x9 fix on WSGF I found out that the community LIVES with this game.

In fact, you can go dowload and play the game for FREE at CnCnet.org. They include a ton of patches, HD fixes and the ability to choose between vanilla and Yuri's Revenge. I installed it about a few months ago and have played it several time. It actually got me back into RTS that I picked up Supreme Commander for awhile and have now dove back into Planetary Annihilation.

Will this remaster be worth it? Anything is worth it to feel young again, but if you wanna instant Tiberian Sun, Dune 2000, RA2 or even the original C&C, go here NOW: https://cncnet.org

SpectralThundr 11-14-2018 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skunk (Post 2524427)

C&C was always a better franchise anyway. While I wish it were a remaster of C&C Generals, or better yet Generals 2, this could be solid if done right.

paragondk1 11-15-2018 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2524436)

Dune 2... That was my experience too. SO addictive. I completed the campaign as all three houses. One of my fondest gaming memories. Dune 2000 didn't catch me at all even though I enjoyed the sand worm graphics at the time.

Mad Max RW 11-15-2018 06:09 PM

Best soundtracks ever.

SpectralThundr 11-15-2018 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max RW (Post 2524506)
Best soundtracks ever.

Agreed also best use of cheesy FMV cutscenes ever as well imo.

Terran 11-15-2018 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostToys (Post 2524431)
I remain pessimistic, but also optimistic

Bipolar is a bitch. ;)

Exodus 11-15-2018 09:13 PM

Oh man red 3 remaster please of eva mckenna that was my teenage game mistress crush

MadMurdock_0311 11-16-2018 12:19 AM

Remastered Tanya? Let's Rock!

Phoenix1985 11-16-2018 05:22 AM

We'll see how it turns out. It is EA, after all, and not Evil Avatar.

Chief Smash 11-16-2018 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exodus (Post 2524515)
Oh man red 3 remaster please of eva mckenna that was my teenage game mistress crush

I never played this back in the day so I had to look her up. I like the whole military briefing combined with nice cleavage thing that she does.

PatrickRes9 11-17-2018 12:24 PM

Total Annihilation remaster?