Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Watch the 9-minute Unreal-Engine Demo for the Mouse Guard Movie (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261291)

Evil Avatar 06-26-2019 06:53 AM

Watch the 9-minute Unreal-Engine Demo for the Mouse Guard Movie
 

Unreal looking pretty good here and this was just a proof-of-concept test.

brandonjclark 06-26-2019 08:42 AM

I've never seen such detail, wow! Can you imagine a Rats of Nyhm game like this?

RAV 06-26-2019 09:08 AM

Yeah, this does look epic.

Terran 06-26-2019 09:30 AM

Pretty stunning. The faces/facial expressions still suffer from the same problem that afflicts all facial CGI...they just don't express, emote, or look 'alive.' Also, the lack of any voices made the world feel a bit dead to me.

Visually stunning, though. Very nice.

RAV 06-26-2019 10:38 AM

oh to be true, what I actually liked most about this doesn't have much to do with the rendering method.

It's really the design work, world building, atmosphere and concept of the thing that gets me most.

You could have implemented all that as classic hand drawn animation from old Disney movies, and I would have liked it just as much.
You could probably even translate a lot of it into a simple pixel art game, and it would still capture people's imagination.

As it is, it is what it is, though, and I don't wanna downplay the rendering too much. Is cool.

ElektroDragon 06-26-2019 02:00 PM

What? You mean it's not a real MouseGuard movie?! :( This site got me into MouseGuard, btw.

They should also make a Redwall movie while they're at it. There's some sort of animated series that is impossible to find!

Evil Avatar 06-26-2019 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElektroDragon (Post 2540142)
What? You mean it's not a real MouseGuard movie?! :( This site got me into MouseGuard, btw.

They should also make a Redwall movie while they're at it. There's some sort of animated series that is impossible to find!

There was going to be a Mouse Guard movie, until Disney purchased Fox and canceled the project 2 weeks before filming was set to begin. It had an all-star cast including Idris Elba.

I honestly think if it had been done right, it would have been the next huge franchise for Disney. I think they really lost out by not making it. When you look at how great Lion King looks and you think of them applying that same art style to Mouse Guard, it would have been fantastic.

I'm sure it's not gone, one thing Hollywood doesn't like to do is give up on a franchise. It will kick around for a while and then someone else will pick it up.

PacerDawn 06-26-2019 07:28 PM

Those mouse faces gave me an uncanny valley feel. *shudder*

vallor 06-26-2019 08:02 PM

No fur sort of ruined it for me. Really good work on the environments.

When I was in 4th grade one of my prized possessions was a Secret of Nymh lunch box. I loved Redwall when it first came out. I have a 1st edition of many of the early books somewhere. Worthless of course because I read the shit out of them.

Somehow I missed Mouse Guard.

Evil Avatar 06-26-2019 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vallor (Post 2540166)
No fur sort of ruined it for me. Really good work on the environments.

I loved Redwall when I was young. I have a 1st edition of many of the early books somewhere. Worthless of course because I read the shit out of them.

Well, this is just a proof-of-concept video. If they movie had gone forward, the FX were going to be done by WETA and you can bet the characters would have had fur.

The only thing I didn't like is that the mice looked really tall. If you read the comic, they are pretty short and round. I was expecting the art to look a lot more like the comic.

Chief Smash 06-27-2019 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2540167)
Well, this is just a proof-of-concept video. If they movie had gone forward, the FX were going to be done by WETA and you can bet the characters would have had fur.

The only thing I didn't like is that the mice looked really tall. If you read the comic, they are pretty short and round. I was expecting the art to look a lot more like the comic.

I only had one or two issues of Mouse Guard so I'm no expert but this did hit me. I'm not really a fan of the design of the mice in this trailer. They look too human to me. I wonder if the look of them would have changed much in the final product.

Oddmaker 06-28-2019 12:25 PM

Unreal Engine 5 :)

Evil Avatar 06-28-2019 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Smash (Post 2540171)
I only had one or two issues of Mouse Guard so I'm no expert but this did hit me. I'm not really a fan of the design of the mice in this trailer. They look too human to me. I wonder if the look of them would have changed much in the final product.

This was just a test, but I did have to wonder if they changed the mice to make them more "human" so it would be easier to do motion capture.

As fantastic as the art is for this series, it would be best served if they tried to keep the art style as close to the comics as possible The mice should still look like Mice.

RAV 06-28-2019 07:00 PM



:D


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:35 AM.