Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Pika, Pika! Pokemon Catch Box Office Gold (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260457)

Evil Avatar 05-13-2019 06:47 AM

Pika, Pika! Pokemon Catch Box Office Gold
 

Ryan Reynolds hot streak continued as Pokemon Detective Pikachu delivered the highest opening weekend of all time for a video game adaptation and coming in to a close second to Avengers: Endgame in it's 3rd week of release.

Here is the Weekend Boxoffice Chart for the weekend of May 10th to May 12th, 2019.
  1. Avengers: Endgame $63.0/$723.4
  2. Pokemon Detective Pikachu $58.0/$58.0
  3. The Hustle $13.5/$13.5
  4. The Intruder $6.6/$20.9
  5. Long Shot $6.1/$19.7
  6. Poms $5.1/$5.1
  7. Uglydolls $3.9/$14.2
  8. Breakthrough $2.4/$37.1
  9. Tolkien $2.1/$2.1
  10. Captain Marvel $1.8/$423.7
  11. The Curse of La Llorona $1.8/$51.4
  12. Shazam! $1.0/$137.1

excalibur1814 05-13-2019 08:53 AM

There were four people in the cinema when I went to see Pika, on Sunday, around 16:50.

Opps. Enjoyed it. Wasn't bad but nothing great. Pikachu is, of course, super cute.

Evil Avatar 05-13-2019 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by excalibur1814 (Post 2537332)
There were four people in the cinema when I went to see Pika, on Sunday, around 16:50.

Opps. Enjoyed it. Wasn't bad but nothing great. Pikachu is, of course, super cute.

Our theater on Saturday was pretty full and the kids seemed to enjoy it and there were some real laughs from the adults at some of the lines. I thought it wasn't bad, but looked like it was going to be a lot more fun in the trailers than it was in the movie.

Still, we certainly enjoyed it.

Chimpbot 05-13-2019 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2537333)
Our theater on Saturday was pretty full and the kids seemed to enjoy it and there were some real laughs from the adults at some of the lines. I thought it wasn't bad, but looked like it was going to be a lot more fun in the trailers than it was in the movie.

Still, we certainly enjoyed it.

I had a similar experience when I went; the theater wasn't packed, but everyone (myself included) seemed to enjoy it well enough. I didn't love the movie, but I certainly didn't hate it. The best way I can describe it is that it was just kinda weird, but I do feel like it did a pretty good job of bringing the setting to life in a live-action movie. I was a little disappointed with the ending, but I feel like this movie's ultimate goal was to set the stage for more Pokemon movies and not a series of Detective Pikachu movies. The movie wasn't as fun or as funny as I thought it would be going into it, but it brought enough to the table to be entertaining.

Ryan Reynolds' Pikachu was definitely the best part of the movie, mainly because his overall delivery was pretty reminiscent of his Deadpool (in a good way). In a way, the movie accidentally confirmed the notion that Reynolds won't have any trouble portraying Deadpool in an MCU movie (assuming, of course, he ever gets the chance).

Ultimately, I'm glad I caught it on a theater screen...but I wouldn't have been overly disappointed if I had waited until it came out on disc, in hindsight.

ElektroDragon 05-13-2019 09:59 AM

It was AWESOME.... I got all those "omg this is so awesome I want to cry" feels.

Terran 05-13-2019 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElektroDragon (Post 2537339)
It was AWESOME.... I got all those "omg this is so awesome I want to cry" feels.

https://i.imgur.com/0ZqRvcH.gif

Not sure if serious...

ElektroDragon 05-14-2019 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran (Post 2537360)
https://i.imgur.com/0ZqRvcH.gif

Not sure if serious...

No, I'm serious. I may be a realistic conservative by day but give me a good movie on the big screen and my suspension of disbelief goes into full effect and I fall for every directorial trick and intention there is.

Terran 05-14-2019 11:43 AM

I'm glad you enjoyed it, ED. I haven't heard anyone who has seen it who disliked it, honestly. I'm just not interested myself.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:00 PM.