Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Happy Halloween! (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263656)

Evil Avatar 10-31-2019 06:53 PM

Happy Halloween!

Meeks 10-31-2019 11:35 PM

Happy Halloween, guys. We got a lot of snow here in Denver this week and I damn near fell on my ass a few times, slipping on ice while taking the kids around trick-or-treating tonight. Now that it's over, does this mean that, starting tomorrow, the whole country goes straight into Christmas mode? If so, I'll be hibernating for a couple months and will need some new games to hold me over.

Inkabodcrane 11-01-2019 06:41 AM

I love Halloween! For me it's a season that starts after Labor Day. Went to a Haunted House a couple weeks ago, my wife's first, which was super fun. Watched a bunch of horror films...which I do anyways I suppose. Decorated the house, but today we went shopping for awhile and ended up getting home in time to get just one trick or treater. A little princess girl.

But, being the holiday it is, I got the Mortal Kombat Arcade 1up machine today, so it was a great holiday season with a great ending!

Now, if we could just skip ahead to March. These next few months are my least favorite, for a plethora of reasons, weather first of all.

If you guys haven't heard of this documentary series, check out Missing 411. There are several books and 2 movies about people who go missing in the woods/wilderness. It has been made by a retired cop. Anyways, I want to go to these places to camp, and see if anything interesting happens. Still selling the wife on it, but I hope to start planning it soon.

CthulhuFan 11-01-2019 07:46 AM

Absolutely the best day of the year :) Hope everyone had a good one. My daughter and I usually go all-out but this year she brought home some nasty flu/cold bug earlier this week and somehow managed to give herself pink eye in *both* damn eyes so we've been out of commission :(

Did manage to slap on the Aliens hockey jersey and make a quick candle shrine (think the ones in OG Diablo) and hook up about 30 kids.

All good though. My daughter (17) and myself have decided that Halloween doesn't end this year. As a protest/statement to seeing Christmas shit in stores BEFORE fucking Halloween this year: All xmass gifts will be wrapped in custom wrapping paper that she is going to design and I'm going to get printed up featuring ravens and Poe quotes and black / orange bows. We are not joking :)

brandonjclark 11-01-2019 07:55 AM

We had a decent snow storm here in Wisconsin during the Trick or Treating!

Power was knocked out until 2am this morning but the kids trucked through it and ended up with full buckets.

Definitely not the Halloween like I remember it.

Terran 11-01-2019 02:04 PM

Happy 'one of many made up holidays created to part you from your dollars' day! :D

Not a fan of 97.5% of our phony holidays.

Happy Extra Mile Day today! :rolleyes:

And fountain pen day...
and love your lawyer day...
and national go cook for your pets day...

ROFL.

RAV 11-01-2019 02:13 PM

Been to a good party. I like having excuses for people throwing a good party. :D

We played tons of Rockband. good times.

CthulhuFan 11-01-2019 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran (Post 2547377)
Happy 'one of many made up holidays created to part you from your dollars' day! :D

Not a fan of 97.5% of our phony holidays.

Happy Extra Mile Day today! :rolleyes:

And fountain pen day...
and love your lawyer day...
and national go cook for your pets day...

ROFL.

Hey, silly excuses to hang out with family aren't necessarily a bad thing :) Especially when some of the crotch fruit actually get the meaning of it. I agree, if every day is special then none are but once or twice a year it's nice to geek out.

Terran 11-01-2019 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CthulhuFan (Post 2547396)
Hey, silly excuses to hang out with family aren't necessarily a bad thing :)

Agreed. My kids did their candy thing and we went out to a great dinner with the whole family.

I guess I just don't like the whole corporate creep in/through holidays. Icky.

CthulhuFan 11-01-2019 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran (Post 2547406)
Agreed. My kids did their candy thing and we went out to a great dinner with the whole family.

I guess I just don't like the whole corporate creep in/through holidays. Icky.

Hyper-commercialization is disgusting and, I agree, where does it end? Join the dark side. My 17 y/o squirt and me are draping all xmass presents this year in black wrapping paper with orange/black bows. We are custom printing paper with Poe quotes because fuck you; stop with Christmas shit before all hallows eve. :)

Terran 11-01-2019 10:29 PM

That sounds awesome. :)

Heard Christmas music today, too...November 1st. The worst of it? I was playing it. :hangs head in shame:

Chief Smash 11-04-2019 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran (Post 2547436)
That sounds awesome. :)

Heard Christmas music today, too...November 1st. The worst of it? I was playing it. :hangs head in shame:

I've done that on more than one occasion. The only reason I stopped was because I would burn myself out by the time Christmas came. I love celebrating the holidays. The one thing I have yet to master is striking the balance between celebrating too early and letting the day sneak up on me too fast.

Chimpbot 11-04-2019 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran (Post 2547377)

The tradition of wearing costumes and going to door to door collecting food on Halloween dates back to the 16th century (although they used to hand out soul cakes instead of candy). The earliest known occurrences in North America date back to 1911, and it has been a tradition over here since the 1920's. Whether it was called Samhain, Calan Gaeaf, All Saints' Day, Allhallowtide, or Halloween, the holiday has been celebrated at the end of October/beginning of November for centuries.

Has it been commercialized to the nth degree? It sure has.
Is it just as made up as any other holiday humans celebrated? Yup, but it does have roots dating all the way back to the 9th century; Halloween - in one form or another - has been around for a long, long time.