Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Battlefield V Single Player Trailer (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256608)

Evil Avatar 10-16-2018 07:25 PM

Battlefield V Single Player Trailer

Quote:

Discover the untold stories of World War 2 with Battlefield V's single player War Stories. In Nordlys, resist German occupation in Norway, sabotage behind enemy lines as an unlikely English soldier in Under No Flag, fight for a home you've never seen in Tirailleur, and in The Last Tiger (available in December) join the crew of a Tiger I as they question why they fight. Battlefield V is out worldwide November 20th.
Click on the Headline for the Video.

Evil Avatar 10-16-2018 07:25 PM

brandonjclark 10-16-2018 08:47 PM

It figures.... They just keep making it worse.

STOP HIDING THE PAST! STOP REVISING THINGS!

WW2 was about killing Japs and Nazi's! There was INCREDIBLY RACIST, air-dropped propaganda, Races used in battle to EXPLICITLY expose their traits, HoRRifFic exploitation of women and children, Starvation, Disease!

STOP HIDING THINGS! This isn't a story of 100% valor and courage!

Why are they whitewashing history?

No Nazi images, no Hitler, one or two white males the entire clip.

It doesn't even look like a WW2 game. It looks like an alternate universe story.

FFS, the PC shit FUCKING NEEDS TO END! IT HAS TO STOP, WE'RE REWRITING HISTORY!

DingBat 10-16-2018 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonjclark (Post 2522810)

WW2 was about killing Japs and Nazi's! There was INCREDIBLY RACIST, air-dropped propaganda, Races used in battle to EXPLICITLY expose their traits, HoRRifFic exploitation of women and children, Starvation, Disease!

It doesn't even look like a WW2 game. It looks like an alternate universe story.

With all due respect, Americans have never known the true history of WW2. Patton was the greatest general of the war, amirite?

Still, I'm not sure what you're complaining about. Yes, there was a woman in the trailer. Other than that, I saw the French African troops and the French DID have such units. And WW2 games have never been heavy on Nazi imagery. We skirted as close as we could in Red Orchestra but even so, no Hitler, no SS.

You're not wrong in that rewriting history simply to address contemporary mores at the cost of accuracy is a bad thing, btw. But I don't see the problem in having a female player character in a single player campaign set in WW2.

brandonjclark 10-16-2018 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DingBat (Post 2522812)
With all due respect, Americans have never known the true history of WW2. Patton was the greatest general of the war, amirite?

Still, I'm not sure what you're complaining about. Yes, there was a woman in the trailer. Other than that, I saw the French African troops and the French DID have such units. And WW2 games have never been heavy on Nazi imagery. We skirted as close as we could in Red Orchestra but even so, no Hitler, no SS.

You're not wrong in that rewriting history simply to address contemporary mores at the cost of accuracy is a bad thing, btw. But I don't see the problem in having a female player character in a single player campaign set in WW2.

It's more than that. Maybe the game features large portions of the traditional forces, I don't know.

It's how the image of the game is FRAMED. It's given equal treatment across the board. It wasn't EQUAL!

brandonjclark 10-16-2018 09:26 PM

Quote:

And this is just fucking insulting and ignorant. Do you think the country that had the biggest affect on the world DUE to the war doesn't have a good grasp on what happened?

Gimme a fucking break.

https://i.imgur.com/NiR8y0B.jpg

DingBat 10-16-2018 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonjclark (Post 2522815)
And this is just fucking insulting and ignorant. Do you think the country that had the biggest affect on the world DUE to the war doesn't have a good grasp on what happened?

Gimme a fucking break.

https://i.imgur.com/NiR8y0B.jpg

It may or may not be insulting, but it's not ignorant if it's true.

I stand by what I said. Most Americans DO think Patton was the greatest general in the war. That Rommel was the greatest German general. That the US carried the bulk of the fighting in Europe. That The Bulge was the most important battle in the war. Most have no clue what the Marshall Plan was or how it affected post-war Europe.

I don't see why this is surprising to you. Most Americans have very little grasp of Korea or Vietnam, despite being more recent wars ("recent". Vietnam was over 40 years ago).

Most citizens of other countries would hardly fair better, but the US is the country that most frequently produces these skewed versions of history in the form of games and movies.

Arionuq 10-16-2018 10:55 PM

Quote:

It may or may not be insulting, but it's not ignorant if it's true.

I stand by what I said. Most Americans DO think Patton was the greatest general in the war. That Rommel was the greatest German general. That the US carried the bulk of the fighting in Europe. That The Bulge was the most important battle in the war. Most have no clue what the Marshall Plan was or how it affected post-war Europe.

I don't see why this is surprising to you. Most Americans have very little grasp of Korea or Vietnam, despite being more recent wars ("recent". Vietnam was over 40 years ago).

Most citizens of other countries would hardly fair better, but the US is the country that most frequently produces these skewed versions of history in the form of games and movies.
(Sigh) Thanks for generalizing. The fact that most of the American public is unaware of their real contribution to the war doesn't make this make the point any less relevant. The war WAS horrible, brutal, and on a scale past what the world had seen before in raw numbers. I do have an issue with them making WW2 look like a glorious crusade. It simply wasn't. For a better perspective on it i recommend: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwKPFT-RioU.

Oh and while the US didn't carry the bulk of fighting, no argument there the war would have been lost without them. Its simply not heroic or compelling to talk about the overwhelming logistical support the US gave to the Allies, specifically the Soviets who could not have won the war for everyone else without it. Factory production and cans of Spam isn't going to sell games.

I don't like the screaming "PC" every time something comes out that is different from the familiar and comfortable narrative but this trailer really is tone deaf to WW2. You want a REAL look at WW2 show the endless grinder and mass killing field that was the Eastern front. Not whatever this is supposed to be. Yeah it doesn't show the lazy American perspective on the war but that doesn't make it honest.

DingBat 10-16-2018 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arionuq (Post 2522817)
(Sigh) Thanks for generalizing. The fact that most of the American public is unaware of their real contribution to the war doesn't make this make the point any less relevant. The war WAS horrible, brutal, and on a scale past what the world had seen before in raw numbers. I do have an issue with them making WW2 look like a glorious crusade. It simply wasn't. For a better perspective on it i recommend: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwKPFT-RioU.

Oh and while the US didn't carry the bulk of fighting, no argument there the war would have been lost without them. Its simply not heroic or compelling to talk about the overwhelming logistical support the US gave to the Allies, specifically the Soviets who could not have won the war for everyone else without it. Factory production and cans of Spam isn't going to sell games.

I don't like the screaming "PC" every time something comes out that is different from the familiar and comfortable narrative but this trailer really is tone deaf to WW2. You want a REAL look at WW2 show the endless grinder and mass killing field that was the Eastern front. Not whatever this is supposed to be. Yeah it doesn't show the lazy American perspective on the war but that doesn't make it honest.

Bravo. I agree with everything you've written here. I'm also trying to imagine a WW2 game set in Russia with the kind of content shown in the opening scene of Saving Private Ryan. Would be interesting to observe.

Skunk 10-17-2018 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonjclark (Post 2522815)
Do you think the country that had the biggest affect on the world DUE to the war doesn't have a good grasp on what happened?

The country? Sure.

The vast majority of the people? No way. Most people know know the start, the finish, and the the biggest names.

I've struggled to find people in the US Army whom with I serve that even know what the Battle of Okinawa was like and why it was important. This is our very own history!

Case in point, look at how loosely people throw around the term Nazi and Fascist.

No dude, maybe a large cluster of (us virtual) neck-beards know, but the vast majority of us don't care because they don't have an interest or requirement to care.

LostToys 10-17-2018 02:34 AM

Quote:

And WW2 games have never been heavy on Nazi imagery. We skirted as close as we could in Red Orchestra but even so, no Hitler, no SS.

At least when it comes to Battlefield games, where you have the possibility of playing on either side of the war, it does not serve them much to show one side being super villain evil. It just taints what the multi-player. So they tend to try to show the generalized violence and shock of combat, and leave everything else out.

Scherge 10-17-2018 04:19 AM

Content aside, I'm looking at this trailer in awe. Can you imagine what kind of amazing game worlds DICE might be able to produce if the team hadn't been forced to create one shooting gallery after the other for the last 15 years? Sure, "Mirror's Edge" wasn't exactly successful, but how about an "Uncharted"/"Tomb Raider" rival? Or maybe throw out an open-world racing game (Digital Illusions did a bunch of console racers in the late 90s/early 2000s) from time to time? Or a modern-day "Pinball Dreams"? Hey, a guy can dream, right?

brandonjclark 10-17-2018 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scherge (Post 2522828)
Content aside, I'm looking at this trailer in awe. Can you imagine what kind of amazing game worlds DICE might be able to produce if the team hadn't been forced to create one shooting gallery after the other for the last 15 years? Sure, "Mirror's Edge" wasn't exactly successful, but how about an "Uncharted"/"Tomb Raider" rival? Or maybe throw out an open-world racing game (Digital Illusions did a bunch of console racers in the late 90s/early 2000s) from time to time? Or a modern-day "Pinball Dreams"? Hey, a guy can dream, right?

Yeah, I was amazed at the art direction. And the way they made this look like an RPG game.

MacDuff 10-17-2018 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonjclark (Post 2522810)

1. DICE has spent more time researching WW2 than you have. That's how they find more interesting, untold stories. 30 countries were involved, because it was a...uh...a World War. If you think limiting the story to "japs and nazis" is preferable, and depicting anything else is "rewriting history", you actually don't know anything about this conflict, so calm down and read more books and maybe you won't have a little fit when a company that employs professional historians doesn't make a game that fits your high-school-level knowledge.

2. The demand you're describing for a "WW2 game" was answered by Call of Duty: WWII which fucking sucked, so go play that, the same WW2 game with the same cliche derivative bullshit, and have fun

karaliusbronius 10-17-2018 10:19 AM

Looks like I'm going to have to buy a new graphics card. I'm pretty excited for the single player. I played the beta multiplayer on my PS4 and was fun but I won't spend much time in it. I kind of miss the simplicity of Battlefield 1942, I loved the Desert Storm mod for it.

Exodus 10-17-2018 10:21 AM

Quote:

According to this site women didn't exist in ww2. They were kept in boxes safe at home and globally nary lost a hair or suffered not one of them during the time of it. Yes, they stayed in their little homes baking pies and teaching school children about the true god. These people are true patriots. Lapping up an ideology that is so full of itself that borders on psychopathic.

SpectralThundr 10-17-2018 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exodus (Post 2522844)
According to this site women didn't exist in ww2. They were kept in boxes safe at home and globally nary lost a hair or suffered not one of them during the time of it. Yes, they stayed in their little homes baking pies and teaching school children about the true god. These people are true patriots. Lapping up an ideology that is so full of itself that borders on psychopathic.

Women also weren't doing special forces things or mostly in combat, in fact very few women saw actual combat as if gender fucking matters in war, or matters for anything. speaking of lapping up ideology, identity politics is what got the left in the mess they're in. By ALL means please continue to double and triple down you dumb shits.

ElektroDragon 10-17-2018 12:11 PM

That screen shot is amazing! I didn't know WWII happened in Central Africa, or that it led to the great black exodus out of Europe! All the stuff they taught me in school was a pack of lies!

GodFather 10-17-2018 03:36 PM

I cant wait for another Battlefield game that has such huge maps I spend more time getting to battles than actually fighting in them.

karaliusbronius 10-17-2018 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GodFather (Post 2522862)
I cant wait for another Battlefield game that has such huge maps I spend more time getting to battles than actually fighting in them.

I feel you on that, it gets old. You finally find someone and then you get hit from behind, or a plane, or a tank, and then you have to start over.