Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Fortnite Bans "Thousands" of Battle Royale Cheaters (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248914)

Emabulator 10-06-2017 05:18 PM

Fortnite Bans "Thousands" of Battle Royale Cheaters

Eurogamer has the story.

Quote:

Epic Games has assured players of Fortnite's new Battle Royale mode that it's on the case as far as tackling in-game cheating goes, and that it has already banned "thousands" of players.

Fortnite's recently released free-to-play Battle Royale mode did the job for Epic, and over one million players flocked to join in the Battlegrounds-esque fun on the first day of release. Inevitably, though, some of those were less than scrupulous about playing by the rules.

"Addressing cheaters in Fortnite is the highest priority across Epic Games," the company has explained in a new blog post detailing its approach to naughty ne'er do wells. "We are constantly working against both the cheaters themselves and the cheat providers. And it's ongoing, we're exploring every measure to ensure these cheaters are removed and stay removed from Fortnite Battle Royale and the Epic ecosystem."

wunshot 10-06-2017 08:37 PM

I honestly can't understand why people are so insistent on cheating in online games. It's a trip...does it fill some void in their otherwise underwhelming lives to suddenly be godlike (even if it's completely fake)?

Doesn't make sense to me....unless they are doing it just to troll. At least I can see the logic in that.

vallor 10-06-2017 08:46 PM

The interesting part is if any of these hacks are going to be portable to other games (like PUBG) that also use the UE4 engine.

In the past it used to only take a little tweak here or there to cross hacks over. You had to wait on the engine dev to seal the hole and send out an engine patch or (hopefully) hotfix.

MadMurdock_0311 10-07-2017 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wunshot (Post 2494724)
I honestly can't understand why people are so insistent on cheating in online games. It's a trip...does it fill some void in their otherwise underwhelming lives to suddenly be godlike (even if it's completely fake)?

Doesn't make sense to me....unless they are doing it just to troll. At least I can see the logic in that.

I started cheating in The Division after the first month or so after release. The reason? Everyone else was cheating (it was easy and available to everyone), which made it unplayable in the Dark Zone. The script had an aimbot, custom RPM (e.g. 1000 rounds per second), teleporting, enemy hitbox, etc.. It also made the highest difficulty "raids" absolutely trivial, so you could gear up super fast.

The devs refused to address the problem, going so far as to say that cheating is not a problem in the game. Even when they live-streamed play on their official Twitch, it was overrun with cheaters, they refused to admit the problem. I used the cheats for a week or so and then uninstalled the game.

I tried playing it again earlier this year and realized how mediocre it really is.

HillTribe 10-07-2017 02:19 PM

Gave it a try today, so far its meh. The building mechanic seems cool, but it hasn't been useful in any real sense in the dozen or so games I played.

The price is right though. And I am glad they are taking an aggressive stance on cheating.

blackzc 10-07-2017 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wunshot (Post 2494724)

I've never understood it. I can picture a couple of dudes getting together and making a night of it here and there. But to cheat, alone, to rank better is really sad.

vallor 10-07-2017 05:40 PM

There are Counter Strike tournaments which give out hundreds of thousands of dollars which invite based on leaderboard stats.

There are twitch streamers who make tens of thousands of dollars a month but only attract players based on how "good" they are. Most people don't want to stream shitty players. They stream and subscribe to personalities who play well.

In some games you can sell the cosmetic items for hundreds and hundreds of dollars like TF2 and Dota 2. And Fortnite is supposed to be adding those items. The way to earn most items in these games is to play well. Hell, some rare CS:GO knives sell for over $10,000. People make an actual living buying and selling virtual items.

There are plenty of reasons to develop and cheats for games which look like they're going to break out in some way and become a vector for 3rd party revenue and Fortnite seems poised to enter this market based on the numbers they are touting and the direction they've been talking about for monetizing BR.