Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Legendary Actor Burt Reynolds Dead at 82 (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255782)

Evil Avatar 09-06-2018 07:59 PM

Legendary Actor Burt Reynolds Dead at 82

Quote:

Burt Reynolds, the legendary actor with the disarming smile and trademark mustache who starred in iconic films including "Smokey and the Bandit" and "The Longest Yard," has died, Fox News has confirmed. He was 82.

The actor's agent, Todd Eisner, told us Reynolds died Thursday morning from cardiac arrest.

Reynold's Hollywood career skyrocketed in the ‘70s after his breakout film role as Lewis Medlock in 1972’s “Deliverance.” The star went on to appear in nearly 200 films throughout his lifetime.

He received an Oscar nomination for his portrayal of adult film director Jack Horner in 1997's "Boogie Nights."
Fox News.

Smokey and the Bandit is one of my favorite films. My parents went to Florida for a week when I was in High School and I played that movie on a loop for the entire week and loved it every time.

brandonjclark 09-06-2018 08:36 PM

He basically was and will be Americana for life.

His later roles were fantastic, too.

Metal Jesus 09-06-2018 10:16 PM

Cannonball Run is still my #1 guilty pleasure of Burt's movies...but he really was fantastic in Boogie Nights!!

actusoul 09-06-2018 10:21 PM

Deliverance

vallor 09-07-2018 01:46 AM

So many notable deaths recently from all over the spectrum the last few months but this one is particularly poignant for me. Which is surprising because I wouldn't have called myself a particularly big Burt Reynolds "fan".
  • Aretha Franklin
  • Kofi Annan (the first black African to lead the UN)
  • Play write Neil Simon, who created the Odd Couple (among many others)
  • John McCain, notable or infamous, depending on how you view him
  • Jim "The Anvil Neihart", half of the classic Bad Boys WWF tag team Hart Brothers from the 80s
  • Robin Leach from Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous, with a voice only Gilbert Godfry could love
  • George Walker, the first African American to win the Pulitzer for Music and an amazing composer who shattered the color barrier from the time he could reach the piano keys
  • And, of course, now Burt.
When I heard the news I was able to almost instantly I remember nearly every Burt Reynolds movie I ever saw. He and Dom Deluise seemed like the should have been in every movie together, like Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis, Abbott and Costello, Laurel and Hardy. And the drama with him and Loni Anderson seemed like America's own version of Charles and Diana.

My Dad loved his movies, my mom loved his movies, my brother, my sister, my Grandma and aunts and uncles. I can't think of anyone who didn't like Burt Reynolds. They may not have like a part he played now and then but everyone loved him. It is a real shame his posing for the centerfold in Cosmo right around the time of Deliverance. Rumor has it this act of "indecency" caused the prudes at The Academy to shadowban him from getting a well deserved Oscar for his role in Deliverance. My, how Hollywood has changed.

And while I wouldn't take away the Oscar Robin Williams earned for his role in Good Will Hunting it is unfortunate Boogie Nights released that same year, cause I think Burt Reynolds stood a good chance of winning that Oscar against any of the other nominees.

Smokey and the Bandit and the Cannonball run made the Trans Am an icon of pure American cool. It was the top of the food chain for dream cars for me till I hit middle age. Nothing else competed with a T-top Trans Am in my eyes and when I saw one featured recently in the movie "Upgrade" it brought that longing all crashing back.

Best Little Whorehouse in Texas was the first movie I can remember where I began to realize how sexy boobies were and exactly why them Aggies were in such an all fired hurry to get to that thar house.

Man... I can't believe how fresh all those movies are in my mind. From Deliverance to Smokey to Boogie Nights to The Longest Yard.

RIP Burt.

PatrickRes9 09-07-2018 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vallor (Post 2520412)
So many notable deaths recently from all over the spectrum....

That's how you can tell we're gettin' old, man

The people responsible for our childhood memories are dying:/

MusicToEat 09-07-2018 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metal Jesus (Post 2520408)
Cannonball Run is still my #1 guilty pleasure of Burt's movies...but he really was fantastic in Boogie Nights!!

I love the end credit blooper real.

Terran 09-07-2018 02:27 PM

RIP.

Many of you must be much older than I am, because his films just don't have the nostalgia for me that they seem to elicit in you. All the same, RIP. 82 isn't young, but it's still a bit too early.

100, healthy and in your sleep - the way to go.

dirtbag 09-07-2018 04:20 PM

I’m hoping to see his legendary book get published now, which is supposed to expose what he had to go through starting out in Hollywood

Emabulator 09-07-2018 06:04 PM

Emabulator 09-08-2018 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2520397)
Smokey and the Bandit is one of my favorite films. My parents went to Florida for a week when I was in High School and I played that movie on a loop for the entire week and loved it every time.

I have watched that movie at least 20 times. I love it! It still holds up well.

The Longest Yard was a good one too.

Mad Max RW 09-08-2018 05:19 PM

So did the promised after death reveal of his homosexual lifestyle happen?

blackzc 09-08-2018 07:50 PM

I wish i lived in a country where i could properly mourn him, maybe later.