Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Spider-Man PS4 Review Round-Up (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255798)

Evil Avatar 09-07-2018 08:21 AM

Spider-Man PS4 Review Round-Up

Gamespot 9

Quote:

There have been open-world Spider-Man games before, but none so riveting and full of personality, none that explore and do justice to this many facets of the universe. Insomniac has created a superior Spider-Man experience that leaves a lasting impression, one that has you longing for just one more swing around New York City, even after the credits roll.
IGN 8.7

Quote:

Insomniac has delivered a Spider-Man story that both surprised and delighted me, coupled with gameplay that made me feel like Spider-Man nearly every step of the way. The Wall Crawler’s open world doesn’t consistently deliver the thrilling moments of its main campaign, but the foundation laid here is undoubtedly a spectacular one.
Shacknews 9

Quote:

Marvel's Spider-Man is at once a fantastic action game, a dramatic story-driven adventure, and a love letter to fans of Marvel's ever-endearing wall-crawler. It's also one of the strongest titles in Insomniac Games' catalog, and will no doubt be counted not only among the best games of 2018, but also among the best PlayStation 4 exclusives ever released.
Destructoid 9

Quote:

Spider-Man isn't just a great superhero game, it's a proof of concept for Insomniac as a company. This project shows that they can basically handle pretty much any universe, because if you can accurately recreate Peter Parker's nimbleness and gentle heart you can do anything: and with multiple teasers at the end, I think they'll get that chance.
Variety

Quote:

Ultimately, “Marvel’s Spider-Man” feels like the first entry in an ambitious and promising new series. Making it all the more unfortunate it didn’t do more to subvert expectations, or to pay off some of the more exciting possibilities it seemed to be gesturing toward — and it will likely always exist in the shadow of “Batman: Arkham Asylum.” But its masterful web-swinging and its undeniable sense of joy make for an experience that’s more gratifying and eminently replayable than anything seen from a superhero game in years.
engadget

Quote:

With its first Spider-Man game, Insomniac deftly balances the real New York with the one portrayed in Marvel comics. It's a playground, first and foremost, that's been designed to support the title's superb and liberating traversal system. The 'city that never sleeps,' though, is an architectural delight too. The studio has captured the look and, more importantly, the feelings that many people have about the city. It helps sell the long-running fantasy and troubles of Peter Parker, and should serve as an example for any developer looking to make a superhero game in the future.

Chimpbot 09-07-2018 09:09 AM

I played it for about an hour or so last night; I pre-ordered the digital version, so I stayed up too late to give it a quick whirl.

I'm obviously not far in, but I thoroughly enjoyed what I played. The web-slinging and city traversal feels very natural, and the combat - while very reminiscent of the Arkham combat system - feels different enough to stand on its own, while still being immediately familiar to anyone who played the Arkham series. The familiarity got me killed a couple times early on, though; Spidey feels (at least initially) much squishier than Batman and you're often fighting groups of thugs who are armed with pistols. If you're not careful, you'll be low on health in no time. Fortunately, Spidey is extremely agile and the dodging mechanics feel very fluid. It also helps that you can heal on the fly by pressing down on the directional pad; this drains your Focus meter (which is used to perform Finisher moves when full), so it becomes a balancing act of keeping your health up while filling the meter to one-hit enemies in a flashy manner.

The game quickly makes it apparent that you'll be bouncing back and forth between the lives of Spider-Man and Peter Parker; the opening action sequence immediately segues into Parker's day job as a lab assistant, with its accompanying puzzles. The Arkham series did an excellent job of juggling the various aspects of Batman's character and it looks like Insomniac was paying attention to those lessons. Superheroes aren't all about punching baddies and major action sequences, and some of their best moments occur when things slow down. Plus, in a 20+ hour-long game (longer if you actually do the side quests, etc), slowing things down is appreciated by most of us, I think.

The setting will feel familiar to most, especially fans, but this is very much Insomniac's take on Spider-Man and his accompanying cast of characters. A familiar face shows up early on in a role I absolutely did not expect...but if things develop the way I assume they will, it will lead to future interactions with that character being interesting (if not rather meaningful). The most important character, however, is Spider-Man...and I can honestly say he feels right. The voice actor does a great job and Spidey feels, sounds, and acts like Spidey in all the right ways.

I'm not far in, but I can tell it's going to be one of my favorite games this year. I can't wait to fire it up on the PS4 Pro I was able to snag this morning.

Ghostblaze 09-07-2018 03:48 PM

Is this coming to PC?

LostToys 09-07-2018 04:24 PM

It will never come to PC. Sony is the publisher, so they will want to keep it PS4 exclusive/

As for the game, I rented it through Gamefly but it is shipping from Kentucky. I am in California, so it will be a week before I get the game.

Wizzkidd 09-07-2018 05:16 PM

I'll definitely get this eventually, but I preordered the Tomb Raider "Croft Edition" on Steam last night instead. There are several other games higher on my list in the immediate future, but I'll probably get Spidey in December or so. Glad to see the good review scores.

Paranoia 09-08-2018 07:11 AM

So glad Evil didn't quote Polygon.

Blog 09-08-2018 09:22 AM

I'm picking up my pre-order this morning at *shudder* Gamespot, but won't get to play until Sunday afternoon. Really looking froward to this one!

Evil Avatar 09-08-2018 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghostblaze (Post 2520453)
Is this coming to PC?

No, it's a PS4 exclusive.

Evil Avatar 09-08-2018 10:52 AM

I got my Spider-Man Playstation 4 Pro! The hard drive seems super slow. I have an after-market 2 TB HD in my old PS4 and it is super fast (it might be a hybrid drive) and it took like 70 minutes for Spider-Man to copy from the disc to the HD on the default system.

I'm happy to get the system at all. UPS never delivers here early, so I went to bed at Noon and then I got up a couple of times during the day to check the tracking. Turns out they delivered it at 4 PM. At 5:30 when I woke up I went outside to find that the box had been almost torn open. The console was face-down in the box, so all you can see on the back of the box is Spider-Man fighting the Negative Man. Whoever was trying to open it either didn't realize what it was or got spooked by a car passing by.

Close call.

The game is pretty awesome, though it is pretty much the exact same game as the Arkham Knight games, only with Spider-Man. Not that it is a bad thing, just don't be expecting anything new. Combat is great if you get into a groove and pull of some nice moves, though it isn't that innovative how to use some of your special abilities.

I can't decide if I want to wait until December and then buy a 3 TB hybrid drive or SSD or if I'm going to swap out the 1 TB in the system now for the 2 TB from my old PS4. I guess I'm not going to do anything this weekend, just so I can spend my free time playing instead of fussing around with waiting for stuff to download and install.

ElektroDragon 09-09-2018 06:59 PM

Man I want that Spider Man PS4 Pro so bad..... my current Pro is noisy, one of the first units. Is this one quiet? The game itself is REALLY good, some inexplicable low res/poly textures in some places though like the intro. The combat is hard to master, super fast and fluid though. I just need to GIT GUD I guess. It's like Batman combat on hyperspeed. Whole game reminds me a lot of the Batman games honestly. Definitely the best Spider Man game ever.

Evil Avatar 09-09-2018 07:44 PM

I don't notice my PS4 making any noise at all, but then it's placed next to the TV so the speakers are probably drowning out any noise it might make.

LostToys 09-10-2018 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2520562)
I don't notice my PS4 making any noise at all, but then it's placed next to the TV so the speakers are probably drowning out any noise it might make.

This is exactly why you do not hear it. The sound of the game is drowning out the sound of your PS4 Pro. Mute your audio it is pretty obvious that the PS4 Pro is making a lot of fan noise.

My PC is similar. It is pretty damned quiet to begin with, but as soon as I turn off my television/receiver before going to bed, it becomes very obvious that my PC is running and the fans are making noise.

Evil Avatar 09-10-2018 04:23 AM

I mute the game all the time and I still don’t notice any noise. I think some people are just looking for excuses to hate on things, these systems hardly make enough noise to matter.

Chimpbot 09-10-2018 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostToys (Post 2520568)
This is exactly why you do not hear it. The sound of the game is drowning out the sound of your PS4 Pro. Mute your audio it is pretty obvious that the PS4 Pro is making a lot of fan noise.

My PC is similar. It is pretty damned quiet to begin with, but as soon as I turn off my television/receiver before going to bed, it becomes very obvious that my PC is running and the fans are making noise.

I'm not really seeing how this is an actual issue; if you can't hear the PS4 Pro's fans during operation, how is this a negative?

The fans on these things only kick on when they're needed. If it's just sitting on the home screen, you really won't hear much of anything.

Terran 09-10-2018 02:00 PM

Just buy an Xbox. They're silent because you'll never need to use it.

LostToys 09-10-2018 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2520606)
I'm not really seeing how this is an actual issue; if you can't hear the PS4 Pro's fans during operation, how is this a negative?

People just like bitching about things. It is the way of the Internet. I'm in the boat that as long as I am not able to discern the noise of my console while I am playing a game, then it is silent enough.

Wizzkidd 09-11-2018 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2520574)
I mute the game all the time and I still don’t notice any noise. I think some people are just looking for excuses to hate on things, these systems hardly make enough noise to matter.

If I was motivated enough, I would post a video up on youtube to show you how crazy loud my PS4 Pro gets just while playing MLB The Show. I mean, I'd rather have the fans be loud as hell and my PS4 Pro not overheat, but compared to my XB1X (or really any console I've owned), it's loud as hell, just for a baseball game! I'm sure there are videos on youtube already. But again, better that than the alternative.

Chimpbot 09-11-2018 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wizzkidd (Post 2520647)
If I was motivated enough, I would post a video up on youtube to show you how crazy loud my PS4 Pro gets just while playing MLB The Show. I mean, I'd rather have the fans be loud as hell and my PS4 Pro not overheat, but compared to my XB1X (or really any console I've owned), it's loud as hell, just for a baseball game! I'm sure there are videos on youtube already. But again, better that than the alternative.

If you can't hear the console's fans over the sound of whatever game you're playing, I'm not seeing how it's an issue.

Sports games can actually pretty system-intensive, so I'm not surprised the fan is kicking on during something like The Show.

Wizzkidd 09-11-2018 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2520650)
If you can't hear the console's fans over the sound of whatever game you're playing, I'm not seeing how it's an issue.

Sports games can actually pretty system-intensive, so I'm not surprised the fan is kicking on during something like The Show.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's an issue, but it is noticeable. An issue would mean it detracts from the experience. Every now and then I just notice that the thing is quite loud, which is abnormal when on a console. I'll live, but I'm not going to lie and act like it isn't blatantly obvious.

EDIT: Realized that could sound accusatory. I personally would feel like I'm lying if I pretended that it wasn't loud. I have a sound bar and a sub woofer and it's still loud. Again, just stating facts, everyone I'm sure has different experiences.

blackzc 09-12-2018 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2520574)

You have a pro?

I have the white one. It gets LOUD. 72X CD Drive loud.

Throw in GT Sport and let it go into attract mode. Rendering the cars and backgrounds really works it, the fans spin up every time. Im really curious as to why some might be more loud than others.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran (Post 2520615)
Just buy an Xbox. They're silent because you'll never need to use it.

Mines in the garage with whatever retro stuff i never got around to selling. I use the controller on my PC.