Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Titanfall 3 On Hold Because of Apex Legends (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260181)

Evil Avatar 04-25-2019 05:59 PM

Titanfall 3 On Hold Because of Apex Legends

Quote:

"Lastly, regarding other games in development at Respawn, it is important to understand that there are entirely separate development teams working on Apex Legends and Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order. Additionally, in order to fully support Apex Legends, we are pushing out plans for future Titanfall games. No resources from the Apex Legends team are being shifted to other titles in development here at the studio, nor are we pulling resources from the team working on Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order."

The reasoning behind this is to avoid "crunch culture," which is a problem that is increasing in visibility as of late. The good news is that the Fallen Order team is unaffected by the Apex Legends plans, so for those excited about the single-player Star Wars title, there's no cause for concern there.
PrimaGames.

This comes on the heels of news that Apex Legends player counts are starting to drop off.

PatrickRes9 04-25-2019 09:46 PM

"The reasoning behind this is to avoid "crunch culture," which is a problem that is increasing in visibility as of late."

If no one noticed, we'd continue to work our employees to the bone. Gat damn whistle-blowers.

vallor 04-26-2019 01:57 AM

This is bullshit. The reason is because they are (currently) making too much money on Apex and there they can't justify staffing any efforts until the well runs dry. If they are smart they won't rapidly staff up unless Apex shows stability over a year or more which puts *everything* on hold.

I've seen this time and time again, especially recently. While the dollars flow in everything is second priority, even further expansion on the title in question. Save the world mode for Fortnite anyone? Just Survive for H1Z1?

It is extremely difficult for a team to agree to "waste time" developing new tech, building new levels, porting to new platforms, and so on because all that effort could be polishing or creating new bite sized (one or two sprint sized) features or fixing bugs to the core SKU and creating value NOW instead of value delayed.

Studios also often have a tendency to prioritize reacting to the market and reacting to the players over expansion to keep on the bleeding edge and show how they are responsive and evolving quickly as the taste of the players change. This gives NO time for long term thinking; who needs that anyway when you're making a $1m - $5m a day?!

In this case I bet the choice is simply some exec choosing to keep rolling in money today at the expense of Titanfall 3 and every other thing the studio might be working on. The opportunity cost is enormous and they may come to regret it if they are truly losing players already. However I don't blame them, strike while the fire is hot and all; I do wish they'd be honest about it instead of using the smoke screen of "crunch culture".

The fact that they are releasing content at a slower pace may mean they are struggling with their tech which I understand is a version of Source where as Unreal 4 is so easy and extensible to work with and the people working at Epic are at the top of their game there is no comparison. I don't know much about Source, but creating new gameplay via blueprints is easy as pie if you already have the bones to work with.

And Epic created Fortnite with Games as a Service in mind from the beginning. It helps they have no other priorities in their game studio side either (their engine side mostly operates independently). They essentially planned to be focused 100% on Fortnite.

Chief Smash 04-26-2019 03:41 AM

I wonder how much cash Apex is bringing in. I still hear people swear by the game but I've also heard a fair amount of negative feedback. It was killing with viewership on Twitch but then it fell off pretty hard so I guess it's not really appealing to the kids as much. But obviously they wouldn't be focusing on the game so much if it wasn't bringing in at least decent cash.

Booda 04-26-2019 08:54 AM

Hey everybody, climb aboard the shit train! Woo hoo! :rolleyes:

Fubl 04-26-2019 09:38 AM

I feel that the major publishers are not ready for games as services. They are so busy chasing quarter goals that they miss that the audiences want weekly monthly stiff. The only one of the bugs I think are truly ready is Ubisoft look at how much content oddyssey received it is like there's something every few weeks. If not it's like here's an older game to play while you wait for the new content. You talk about the Apex fall off what about the Black ops 4. Fall off

brandonjclark 04-26-2019 09:54 AM

I love Apex. Other than RocketLeague, the greatest game I've ever played, Apex is my 2nd go to game when I have 20-30min.

Lately I've been having a LOT of issues launching the game, though. It gets stuck st the loading screen (before the menu) and doesn't do anything but crash.

I've tried everything except a system wipe which I won't do. Nothing seems to fix it. The worst part is it works about 1 out of five time and always works after a reboot.

Sucks.

ElektroDragon 04-26-2019 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Booda (Post 2536321)
Hey everybody, climb aboard the shit train! Woo hoo! :rolleyes:

Indeed. I don't understand the mentality of people who play these free games, or the streamers, or those that watch the streams. None of it has any appeal to me whatsoever. Give me a nice single player adventure game and leave me alone.

PatrickRes9 04-26-2019 04:27 PM

I dont get watching people when you can be using that time playing games instead. BUT cmon, people watching baseball. People watch golf. People watch Nascar. People will watch other people do the dumbest, dullest, most inane shit imaginable.

Evil Avatar 04-26-2019 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 (Post 2536360)
I dont get watching people when you can be using that time playing games instead. BUT cmon, people watching baseball. People watch golf. People watch Nascar. People will watch other people do the dumbest, dullest, most inane shit imaginable.

See... that's kind of a false equivalency. You can't play Golf the way those Pro's do, you can't play Baseball at the level of those Pro's and you certainly can't drive your car around at 120 MPH without risking getting in an accident or getting a ticket.

You CAN play video games and from what I've seen of these "Pro" players, anyone who puts in even a decent number of hours can approach the skill level of some of these Pro players. I've played in Tournaments against Pro players and for the most part the only thing they were better at than the normal player is was knowing where to camp.

(I'm certainly a "run right into the enemy and die" player so you have no fear of me ever becoming a Pro player.)

That is why I don't understand Twitch or Streaming. Why watch other people play Apex when you could be playing Apex? Why watch other people play Sea of Thieves when you could be playing it? It makes no sense at all.

Unless it's some girl with her boobs hanging out, I don't see the point in watching other people play games.

brandonjclark 04-26-2019 08:27 PM

Well, depending on the game you might be watching someone really good because you want to learn their skillls.

As entertainment, nah. But you can definitely learn from others. I watch some RL vids now and then.

Evil Avatar 04-27-2019 07:07 AM

I watch walkthrough videos when I’m stuck, but I don’t watch other players to get good. I usually just watch them in-game. Who is the dude who keeps killing me and what weapon is he using? That’s usually how I learn.

Again, I mostly like to run right into enemy fire with guns blazing, so I don’t have to spend that much time worrying about “Getting Good”.

MADxMrMike 04-27-2019 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2536373)
That is why I don't understand Twitch or Streaming. Why watch other people play Apex when you could be playing Apex? Why watch other people play Sea of Thieves when you could be playing it? It makes no sense at all.

I used to feel the same way. Then I started dating my latest girlfriend. She is from the younger generation(sheís 25 and Iím 39). She games but not like me. She will play sims and adventure games for 30 or 40 mins and call it a day.. But she loves watching other people play for hours. She says she canít get the hang of games like Halo or Apex but she still likes to watch others play(she watches me). Her favorites are ones with a story. She can enjoy the story and not have to worry about messing with the controls.

My kids as well. They play Fortnite religiously and when they are not playing they are watching the ďProsĒ play it. Itís just how it is now days.

But in a way itís always been like this. Or for me anyway. Being nearly 40 I have had over 30 years of playing games and during a large majority of that time someone was watching me. My brothers. Friends who were spending the night. My mom and dad. Or I was watching them. Itís just in a whole new level now.

PatrickRes9 04-27-2019 10:45 AM

Quote:

See... that's kind of a false equivalency. You can't play Golf the way those Pro's do, you can't play Baseball at the level of those Pro's and you certainly can't drive your car around at 120 MPH without risking getting in an accident or getting a ticket.

You CAN play video games and from what I've seen of these "Pro" players, anyone who puts in even a decent number of hours can approach the skill level of some of these Pro players. I've played in Tournaments against Pro players and for the most part the only thing they were better at than the normal player is was knowing where to camp.

(I'm certainly a "run right into the enemy and die" player so you have no fear of me ever becoming a Pro player.)

Unless it's some girl with her boobs hanging out, I don't see the point in watching other people play games.

I mostly agree with what you're saying here, though I would agree with Brandon in that I've watched a few videos over the years, namely to learn better strategies.

But as entertainment - exactly. I'd rather be spending my time playing games.

Augustgold 04-28-2019 12:32 PM

I thought they said they weren't going to make titanfall 3 at all?

Kreigmstr 04-28-2019 01:01 PM

Quote:

Just to be clear here. You said anyone could be as good as a pro. Then followed it up by saying you couldn't be a pro.

For the record, I've taken to watching people stream themselves playing. Some of it i find entertaining. Some of it is to watch people play the game at a level I won't achieve because of a lot of reasons. It's a free way to occupy my time when i don't want to sit and watch the typical trash that TV pushes.

Could I just play the game? Sure I could do that, but I already play games way more than anyone else that i know. I've come to realize that there is a certain point where I'm just not getting better at the game.

MavenACTG 04-29-2019 10:57 AM

If I found something in my life that had as much of an altering effect as these money spigot developers are finding, I would radically change my plans to milk that spigot for all its worth. Valve became what it did because of Steam. Fortnite / Epic Store as well. Not surprising that Respawn is throwing themselves onto the altar of the spigot.

I have also seen how growth is championed over infrastructure and stability when that money spigot is flowing. The price of success is the stress of trying to keep up with the success until you level off.