Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Aquaman Floats to the Top of the Weekend Boxoffice Charts (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257883)

Evil Avatar 12-30-2018 08:13 PM

Aquaman Floats to the Top of the Weekend Boxoffice Charts

Aquaman is king of the box office sea for the second week in a row, while Christmas newcomers like Holmes and Watson, Mary Queen of Scots and the Favorite sink to the bottom of the list.

Here is the Weekend Boxoffice Chart for the weekend of December 28th to December 30th, 2018.
  1. Aquaman $51.5/$188.7
  2. Mary Poppins Returns $28.0/$98.9
  3. Bumblebee $20.5/$66.7
  4. Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse $18.3/$103.6
  5. The Mule $11.7/$60.7
  6. Vice $7.7/$17.6
  7. Holmes and Watson $7.3/$19.7
  8. Second Act $7.2/$21.7
  9. Ralph Breaks the Internet $6.5/$175.7
  10. Dr. Seuss' The Grinch $4.2/$265.5
  11. Mary Queen of Scots $2.6/$9.0
  12. The Favourite $2.4/$15.2

vallor 12-30-2018 09:00 PM

Glad to see Aquaman doing well here and sad to see Mary Poppins doing halfway decent.

Besides disliking Disney rehashing a perfectly good movie that didn't need a remake, sequel, or whatever the hell this abomination is Emily Blunt is one of my least favorite actresses after she belittled her America citizenship.

Speaking of Disney rehashing: I did catch "Mowgli" the Andy Serkis retelling of the Jungle Book on Netflix recently. It was quite good (3 stars), but don't watch it with young ones who love the original. This one is pretty dark. There's one particular moment near the end that if kids make the connection it could be traumatic!

I generally like most things Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly are in together, but you have to be in the mood for that sort of absolute silly level of comedy. Holmes and Watson is probably more of a small screen thing anyway. I couldn't imagine seeing Step Brothers or Taladaga Nights on the big screen. Imagine missing half the movie cause the laughing. Even to the stupidest jokes.

The "Favourite" can just get the hell out of here with that spelling. It deserves to fail if it can't Americanize the title! I actually don't know anything more about it than the title so I have no idea. I should probably check the trailer or something.

Bumblebee is trashed by the stench of the last set of Transformer movies, and he isn't even everyone's favorite anyway. Why they decided to green light this movie I'll never know. Even I, as the President of the Evil Avatar Michael Bay Fan Club, can't see the win here.

Glad to see Spider-verse crossed $100m. I was close to seeing it a few days ago but I don't go for animation on the big screen usually. I'll wait for home video but it does give hope to cracking open more options for Sony besides Peter Parker. Maybe they can decouple Spiderman from Peter Parker and let that be Marvel's token while they go do other movies in different aspects of the Spider-verse. Not animated though. The concern would be if they started confusing viewers on which was actual MCU canon.

Terran 12-30-2018 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vallor (Post 2527201)
Glad to see Aquaman doing well

I went with my kids and brother. We all enjoyed it. Helluva visual fest. I truly thought I was too jaded to enjoy the CGI fest, but it was a blast. Worth a big screen viewing.

Quote:

Emily Blunt is one of my least favorite actresses after she belittled her America citizenship.
She apologized. She is a liberal, but she doesn't strike me as a strident, aggressively angry liberal. She's also a damn fine actor, as is her husband.

I saw the film. It was 30 to 45 minutes too long (at 2hr, 10min); should have been 90 minutes. I liked it but got restless. My kids enjoyed it, but not nearly as much as Aquaman.

TheHulk 12-30-2018 09:52 PM

Saw Ralph after Spider-Man was sold out. Very enjoyable for a movie that wasn’t on my radar.

Evil Avatar 12-30-2018 09:55 PM

Spider-Verse was great, though they didn’t give any really great lines to Noir Spider-Man, I was hoping for some crazy Nick Cage over acting. My only complaint for Spider-Verse is that it relies heavily on the idea that you are fans of the Raimi movies, which I wonder if most kids have even seen at this point and the audience was heavily kids when we went. Like 90% parents with little kids.

brandonjclark 12-30-2018 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2527209)
Spider-Verse was great, though they didnít give any really great lines to Noir Spider-Man, I was hoping for some crazy Nick Cage over acting. My only complaint for Spider-Verse is that it relies heavily on the idea that you are fans of the Raimi movies, which I wonder if most kids have even seen at this point and the audience was heavily kids when we went. Like 90% parents with little kids.

Took my 7yo boy to see it today and we both liked it a lot.

I thought the animation was fantastic!

Wizzkidd 12-31-2018 03:04 AM

My wife kept wanting to see Bumblebee, which surprised me because she has never cared about the Transformer films. So we saw it today, in 3D. The 3D was pointless, I can't think of a single scene that it stood out or was even noticeable in. But the movie was fine. Was enjoyable to watch once. Was def geared toward younger audiences though. I liked Aquabro a lot more.

Planning to see Spider-man tomorrow. I never watch cartoons, especially in the theater, but the positive hype and my having AMC A-list means I want to check it out. I see it's rated PG so I hope it's not annoyingly childish, but we'll see.

excalibur1814 12-31-2018 05:09 AM

If Bumblebee was the FIRST Transformers film it would have probably done a lot better. Then again it is number 3.

tigerfan814 12-31-2018 08:35 AM

Saw Spiderman and Aquaman (or was it Aquadude) :) Thought they were both fantastic. Really wanna go back and check both of them out in 3D.

DingBat 12-31-2018 10:30 AM

Saw The FavoUrite this week as we had some Scene points that needed using and everything else available looked like trash. Decent movie and performances and an interesting historical spin but also more than a bit strange in places.

Good movie that will likely get some Oscar nods. Donít go if your idea of fine cinema is Bumblebee or Holmes and Watson.

AlfredT 12-31-2018 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DingBat (Post 2527223)
Saw The FavoUrite this week as we had some Scene points that needed using and everything else available looked like trash. Decent movie and performances and an interesting historical spin but also more than a bit strange in places.

Good movie that will likely get some Oscar nods. Donít go if your idea of fine cinema is Bumblebee or Holmes and Watson.

Maybe don't take your wife/kids if they have pet bunnies also..

PatrickRes9 12-31-2018 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DingBat (Post 2527223)

Good movie that will likely get some Oscar nods. Don’t go if your idea of fine cinema is Bumblebee or Holmes and Watson.

But all these comic movies are amazing! First, the special effects are always top notch. The same formula is always good. The "funny" dialogue is always funny and it's non stop action! Sure they won't ever get any oscars, but this is just about mindless fun. Like all these movies. If I wanted to watch something clever, original and with substance I'd watch that kind of movie someday. But not this year. I'd give it a bad review anyway, for being kinda boring. You know these comic movies are better than the supposed clever stuff because they break all the records with how much money they bring in. You don't see any stupid movie about existential growth of self-critical analysis breaking any box office records do you? Fun and perpetual happiness. That's what life and movies are about.

Phoenix1985 12-31-2018 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2527209)
Spider-Verse was great, though they didnít give any really great lines to Noir Spider-Man, I was hoping for some crazy Nick Cage over acting. My only complaint for Spider-Verse is that it relies heavily on the idea that you are fans of the Raimi movies, which I wonder if most kids have even seen at this point and the audience was heavily kids when we went. Like 90% parents with little kids.

I don't know, I think it helps with some of the in-jokes, but if the kids are halfway imaginative, they can just interpret the scenes as goofy little additions instead.

I was one of the few people who liked the original Noir when it was in print, and I would've loved to see more of it even if it was very unlike the regular Spidey fare.

The movie was great, and it is doing pretty ok in International markets too apparently. At least they made their money and advertising budget back on this (I think). And with eventual disc and streaming sales they should be able to double that.

PacerDawn 01-01-2019 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vallor (Post 2527201)
Bumblebee is trashed by the stench of the last set of Transformer movies, and he isn't even everyone's favorite anyway. Why they decided to green light this movie I'll never know. Even I, as the President of the Evil Avatar Michael Bay Fan Club, can't see the win here.

Not just that, but the writing in Bumblebee was absolutely atrocious. The "teen drama" they tried to work in was pointless, made little to no sense, and didn't go anywhere. Those scenes could all have been cut from the movie and nobody would have noticed. The dialog was over-simplified and every character was cookie cutter and extremely shallow. That said, Bumblebee was easily the best of the Transformers movies and was still a lot of fun. Sometimes shallow works, and in this case it did (for me at least).

I haven't seen Spider Man because I didn't like the animation style from the previews. It looks like they cut every 3rd cell or something. When I first saw the preview on the big screen, I thought there was a problem with the projector. But it looks really interesting, so it's probably a renter.

As for Aquaman, the DC movies seem to get a little better with each one. There is hope.

Wizzkidd 01-01-2019 03:39 AM

Saw Spider-man today.

First of all, I don't really like animated films. More correctly, I don't like children's films. (The Death of Superman was great). I had heard so many good things about Spider-man that I figured might as well watch it as I have the AMC moviepass. I was in a bad mood, there were noisy kids in the theater, and I was squished in between people. So I was already assuming that the film had everything going against it.

But shit, even with all that going against it, I thought it was great. The animation style gets top marks from me, as there seems to finally be a style that isn't trying to copy Pixar. This was pretty unique looking, and it looked awesome. Note that in all the previews leading up to this, I thought it should be a direct to Bluray film because the animation didn't look great in trailers, but man was I wrong.

Got to give it props. Was like when you read a comic book, and your imagination fills in what the panels can't. It was really good.

wunshot 01-01-2019 09:51 AM

I've never seen so much positivity on the EA forums. I feel like I woke up in bizarro world.

Chief Smash 01-01-2019 11:57 AM

We saw Spider-Man with the kids yesterday and we all enjoyed it, though the kids seemed to like it a bit more. The art style and the ending with the dimensions all being smashed together was kind of overwhelming visually. I thought maybe I was just too tired to enjoy it but my wife said the same thing. Overall I’m glad we went. I jut like a more traditional style I guess.