Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Here's Why the Compaq Presario 1611 cost $2,800 New in 1997 (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258067)

Metal Jesus 01-11-2019 09:40 AM

Here's Why the Compaq Presario 1611 cost $2,800 New in 1997

Released in 1997, this laptop was a multimedia powerhouse packed full of the latest tech.

Emabulator 01-11-2019 03:40 PM

Another great video MJ!

That is a cool laptop for it's day. And the sound was impressive. My first gaming laptop was a Cyberpower with Nvidia's 8800M and an overpriced Intel CPU. It was uber for at least six months. ;)

It did play the hell out of Diablo II for many years, though. :)

GinRummy 01-11-2019 06:34 PM

Gah! Please turn off those mouse trails or tails or whatever. Pretty sure that is an option you have set and not just an artifact of the slow refresh. It burns my eyes. :) Cool old system, though.

Terran 01-11-2019 07:41 PM

I bought a Micron laptop in 1995 for $4,500 when I was living overseas and rolling in dough. :D Still have it!

vallor 01-11-2019 08:40 PM

My first gaming laptop/desktop replacement had some sort of Gforce2Go card and was amazeballs expensive too. A Dell Inspirion something. I had it hooked up to a massive 21" CRT and for about a year it was great.

But the card very quickly started falling behind power-wise and since Gforce2Go predated the unified driver model from AMD and NVIDIA and Dell didn't do a good job keeping the drivers updated things went downhill faster.

Ultimately due to the cost and how poorly supported (and gimped) video hardware seems to be I have never really looked into getting another gaming laptop. I did try to get one for work once that had a fairly powerful video card (GForce 260M I believe) but it had the same problem with under-performance.

Since, due to the cost, the laptop had to amortize on the books over 3 years, I also decided it probably wasn't worth it there either. Video hardware at the time (about 10 years ago) still was moving way too fast.

AlfredT 01-12-2019 08:29 AM

My first portable gaming computer (which wasn't a laptop but this giant case like monstrosity) could play.. Donkey.bas.. off a floppy. I recently learned that my first game was written by Satan himself, Bill Gates :)

Fuck I feel old.

Metal Jesus 01-12-2019 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emabulator (Post 2528000)
Another great video MJ!

It did play the hell out of Diablo II for many years, though. :)

I was gonna show Diablo and Starcraft running on it, but figured the video was starting to get long... but yes, all those 2D sprite games run really well, especially in MS-DOS mode!

Metal Jesus 01-12-2019 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlfredT (Post 2528065)
my first game was written by Satan himself, Bill Gates :)

It's funny cuz Bill Gates really has turned around his reputation once he left Microsoft and began pouring all his time and money into helping third world countries.

But yes, back in the 90s, the dude tried to rule the world LOL

Misanthropist 01-13-2019 07:49 AM

I use a bose soundlink speaker with my laptop, they have great bass with a decent portable battery. Tho it is prolly half the size of the compaq itself :P

blackzc 01-13-2019 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Misanthropist (Post 2528146)
I use a bose soundlink speaker with my laptop, they have great bass with a decent portable battery. Tho it is prolly half the size of the compaq itself :P

You like Bose? I know it a touchy subject online.

My dad had a pair of 601 series ii's cica 1984 in his attic. I dug them out and put in new surrounds, (they were dry rotted).

They are so dam nice speakers. They may even sound better than my Polk Denon setup. Although i do have the Bose on a high end older receiver.